mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Is there a "best" reflecting tape?

In addition to my front and rear lights I've been thinking of adding some reflecting tape onto my bike(s) for some side reflection. Oh, and also onto my backpack & helmet too.

As I research I wonder if they are all pretty much the same or if some are better than others. I even see there's DOT approved tape I could get. Would DOT tape be better for cycling than say 3M reflective tape I might get at REI or are they both just as effective? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got some stick-on tape at the Rain Shed that I used on my helmet and fender. It is very thin and conforms to curved surfaces easily. It is VERY reflective but as with many matte finish reflective tapes, it loses a lot of its effectiveness when it gets wet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Supposedly the SOLAS stuff on ebay is incredible

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Reflexite V82 is some of the best prismatic tape. Check this out: http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/hawk/reflector-pics/

I bought some from an eBay seller in the typical red-&-white pattern you see on semi trailers. The white sections, in particular, are crazy-bright, and the tape is relatively flexible if it's curving on one axis (like, applying it to a frame tube). If you want to put it on fenders, then I suggest cutting strips about 1cm wide and applying the strips one at a time. SOLAS is said to conform better to multiple-axis curves than other tape.

weirdo
    Side question- somebody recently posted pics of some kind of reflective spoke clips that I thought looked like a good plan, but I can`t find the post and I don`t remember what they were called. Anybody remember?

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Side question- somebody recently posted pics of some kind of reflective spoke clips that I thought looked like a good plan, but I can`t find the post and I don`t remember what they were called. Anybody remember?

I have no experience with them but I liked the look also.

http://www.lightweights.org/

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

weirdo
    Yeah, that was it! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    I have no experience with them but I liked the look also.

http://www.lightweights.org/

Looks like a prime opportunity for a gratuitous pic of my bike

Well worth the money, it's a good product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One hint. Most of these reflective tapes are designed to go on, and not come off easily. One trick to allow easy removal (in case you want to change color/pattern/etc) is to put electrical tape on the frame first, and then attach the reflective tape to the electrical tape.

mtbr member
    I've got some of the yellow reflective tape that they use on school buses. A local police officer I know that bikes, gave some to me. It's good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe
    I've got some of the yellow reflective tape that they use on school buses. A local police officer I know that bikes, gave some to me. It's good stuff.
    I have some of that too, 3M Diamond Grade (the best vehicle tape 3M makes). I think the clear Reflexite is brighter, and much more flexible. If anyone's interested in comparison shots, I can do some, but not tonight (it's foggy).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've gotten thus far:

http://www.reflexiteamericas.com/locations.htmI

Can't seem to find where you can get some. I'd like to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jflurett
    I've gotten thus far:

http://www.reflexiteamericas.com/locations.htmI

Can't seem to find where you can get some. I'd like to give it a try.
    There's some on eBay, search for "reflexite v82" and that's the stuff. V82 is the premium-durability version, V92 is the economy-durability version. I bought mine from that seller, and I see he also has a roll of all-white if you don't want any red: WHITE V82 DOT C2 Conspicuity ReflexiteTape Roll 2"x15'