Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Texting and Driving

Tough to watch, but for bike commuters hits home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's no joke. I came across a lady texting and driving a couple weeks ago. I was at a stop sign, and she was swerving down the street I live on. It's hard to say what could have happened if I had already made the turn.

mtbr member
    I had JUST left work a few weeks ago. A lady comes down the access road behind our offices headed the opposite direction. The road curved slightly to the right for me (the left for her). I look up in time as she approached me to see that she was texting but she was still in her lane.

Must have happened in the blink of an eye, because right after she passed me going the other direction I hear "CRUNCH"!!! I duck my head and pull off to the right...swivel my head around and see that she had run up the curb, across the sidewalk and into the grass instead of continuing with the slight left curve of the road.

I hate to think what could have happened if I had been headed TO work at that time.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

was driving alongside some DB texting and driving on the freeway earlier this afternoon, on my way to the butcher shop.

mtbr member

Re: Texting and Driving

I was nearly hit while out running the other day. It was on a wide shoulder, and this guy was at least 4 feet over the line, came within 2 feet of my elbow I'd say. He didn't even correct himself after that, just kept right on going! I couldn't say for sure he was texting, but I had to assume he was

mtbr member

Re: Texting and Driving

And also....its always a good idea to wear a bright and/or reflective shirt or vest, maybe there's a better chance these clowns will see you out of their peripherals that way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    And also....its always a good idea to wear a bright and/or reflective shirt or vest, maybe there's a better chance these clowns will see you out of their peripherals that way
    I do. But if they are looking in their lap, it won't help whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    was driving alongside some DB texting and driving on the freeway earlier this afternoon, on my way to the butcher shop.
    I followed a young lady about 10 miles and she crossed the center line twice, once to mid lane and 11 times off onto the shoulder twice more than halfway across an eight foot paved shoulder of the type I often ride, four times she was across enough she would have hit me had I been riding there. I was afraid to get close enough to read her plate and call her in as a possible DUI on 911 earlier, and after the light where I saw her looking into her lap, she brought here head up and paid attention to her driving and I turned at my exit. I plan on calling in the next one.

mtbr member
    Since we're telling stories, I had a lady pull out from a stop sign right in front of me two weeks ago, I had to pull my brakes hard, skidded to a stop on the sand. She then proceeded to sit in traffic, when I passed her she was staring down at her phone. I stopped in front of her and yelled "Pay attention to the road, not your friggin phone" and rode off. Saw her the next day too, she wasn't texting, at least.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I am comfortable riding in most traffic but DWI/DWT drivers scare me because they are just unpredictable. Besides trying to stay alert to what's happening around me, I run both front and rear lights day and night. My theory is that a REALLY BRIGHT light, I run Dinotte lights that are visible from a distance even in sunlight, will catch the eye of a texter early and make them look up. But with these types it's a crapshoot.

Unpredictable
    A public bus driver was suspended in Adelaide last week for texting while driving passengers at 100kph. Really smart.

This AM on the eye in the sky traffic coverage there was a little car smashed up the back of a parked car. Sun was behind the driver and there was no reason to hit the vehicle other than using the phone. The car had a provisional driver's permit, so an old age medical condition is not likely.

It happens far too often. Most people cannot keep their hands off the phone if it rings. I just don't get it. Too dumb for words and there have been many deaths in Australia because of it.

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    I'm a HUGE proponent of riding on the sidewalks, even when it's illegal...just ride slow, and go with the flow of pedestrians. I catch hell from road cyclists (I used to do centuries), but the sidewalk saved my life last year.

I'd been riding a stretch of road with no sidewalk. As soon as I saw a sidewalk ahead, I jumped the ditch and went for it. No sooner than I got on the sidewalk, I heard a huge crunch sound beside me. Some woman was texting and driving, and rear-ended another car. If I'd still been on the side of the road (very narrow) I'd have been toast.

Every time a cop hassles me for being on the sidewalk (which does happen) I politely tell him that a ticket is cheaper than hospital bills or death, and I'll willingly take the ticket. Fortunately I haven't gotten ticketed yet.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 29er
    2013 Trek Mamba 29er
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail 29er (hybrid)

Texting and Driving

If I rode slowly on the sidewalks on my 22mi commute, it would take at least twice as long to get to my destination, which would be 2-3 hours. Not cool. That decreases the viability of bikes as transportation.

Awareness is your biggest tool in staying safe. Knowing where every car is around you at all times and being aware enough to tell when drivers are impaired or not paying attention. Use your ears. Use your eyes. A mirror or frequent shoulder checks or both to use your eyes. Always assess conditions and know where your out is when you encounter a dangerous driver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Awareness is your biggest tool in staying safe. Knowing where every car is around you at all times and being aware enough to tell when drivers are impaired or not paying attention. Use your ears. Use your eyes. A mirror or frequent shoulder checks or both to use your eyes. Always assess conditions and know where your out is when you encounter a dangerous driver.
    Ain't that the truth. Commuting is a whole different ballgame than just riding recreationally when you're riding in an area with any significant amount of cars. I'm the only one of my friends who ride that commutes, but the other has been out riding a couple times when I was leaving work and he met me for the ride home. He flies past lines of traffic at 18-20mph, many times I've warned him to watch out because someone's just going to take a right hand turn in front of him with no turn signal or drift towards the curb and he'll get clipped with a mirror. You really need to be aware of everyone around you and anticipate what the cars are going to do. I always expect every car to get in my way, everyone at a stop sign to pull out in front of me, every car door to open and every driver to be texting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Commuting is a whole different ballgame than just riding recreationally when you're riding in an area with any significant amount of cars.
    I find moderate to heavy traffic easier from the standpoint of being fully in the moment and aware, even if a bit on overload. It is the light traffic that can lull me into daydreams and have me inattentive and have that pickup mirror zip by 8" off of my shoulder. Also dealing with a traffic situation unfolding ahead can leave you unaware of one coming up from behind. I envy those with nice single track and the solace and the quiet (other than bike and exertions sounds, cicadas, birds, wind sighing, etc.).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was riding in my friend's car and he was surfing the net on his smartphone while driving. I told him "you wanna pull over for a while and do that?" He told me "No, I got this." and continued to surf. I told him to pull over and I got off the car, went across the street and hailed a cab without saying anything.

Texting and driving, it's everyone's dirty little secret. No one speaks against it because almost everybody does it. Nobody defends it because it is totally indefensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    I was riding in my friend's car and he was surfing the net on his smartphone while driving. I told him "you wanna pull over for a while and do that?" He told me "No, I got this." and continued to surf. I told him to pull over and I got off the car, went across the street and hailed a cab without saying anything.

Texting and driving, it's everyone's dirty little secret. No one speaks against it because almost everybody does it. Nobody defends it because it is totally indefensible.
    I like to think I'd do the same if I was ever in that situation. Not entirely sure, though.

psycho cyclo addict
    Texting and hand held phones are illegal when driving where I live though people do it all of the time. Many also blow through stop signs.

I consider myself lucky so far. Clipped a car once- Rolls Royce... did a number on one of the mirrors when the driver got sloppy while talking on a cell phone. I stopped abruptly once and had an "SPD moment" to avoid slamming into a minvan that blew through a red light. Otherwise nothing other than an occasional cursing driver that almost got a mountain bike upside the head

A friend of mine purchased a water bottle mounted 115 db air horn. I am really tempted to get one.

mtbr member
    No one speaks against it because almost everybody does it. Nobody defends it because it is totally indefensible. [
    I was listening to a call in radio show once where people were calling in admitting to texting and driving and defending it, which infuriated me.

For a lot of people, it's the new way of life and they feel comfortable that they can do it safely.

I drive in Denver Rush hour traffic daily, and it seems like 20% or more of the people out there on I 25 are crawling through traffic while looking at their phones.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post

Good on you mate. It is harder to do what you did than it sounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oopsthathurt View Post
    I'm a HUGE proponent of riding on the sidewalks, even when it's illegal...just ride slow, and go with the flow of pedestrians. I catch hell from road cyclists (I used to do centuries), but the sidewalk saved my life last year.

I'd been riding a stretch of road with no sidewalk. As soon as I saw a sidewalk ahead, I jumped the ditch and went for it. No sooner than I got on the sidewalk, I heard a huge crunch sound beside me. Some woman was texting and driving, and rear-ended another car. If I'd still been on the side of the road (very narrow) I'd have been toast.

Every time a cop hassles me for being on the sidewalk (which does happen) I politely tell him that a ticket is cheaper than hospital bills or death, and I'll willingly take the ticket. Fortunately I haven't gotten ticketed yet.
    That's funny because riding on the side walk tends to put you at the mercy of people pulling in and out of places, and they sure won't see you as they don't even see pedestrians. Then there's the problem where the side walk doesn't go everywhere and the problem where it has no ramps etc...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Texting and hand held phones are illegal when driving where I live though people do it all of the time. Many also blow through stop signs.

I consider myself lucky so far. Clipped a car once- Rolls Royce... did a number on one of the mirrors when the driver got sloppy while talking on a cell phone. I stopped abruptly once and had an "SPD moment" to avoid slamming into a minvan that blew through a red light. Otherwise nothing other than an occasional cursing driver that almost got a mountain bike upside the head

A friend of mine purchased a water bottle mounted 115 db air horn. I am really tempted to get one.
    Where do you get something like that?

Texting and Driving

AirZound. I have owned one for years. It is comedy gold for clueless drivers and can be effective against dogs, too

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What really burns my ass is that while it's illegal in most states, hardly any of them do any enforcing.
    But when it comes to something like seat belts, OMIGOD, we spend bajillions to get that message out.

What I really want is for texting and driving to be equal with drinking and driving- in stigma, punishment and enforcement.

Moderator Moderator
    Scarey stuff...
    Nearly 60 percent of Vermont high school seniors text or email while driving, according to 2013 health risk reports released Thursday by the state Health Department.

from
    Report finds many Vt. teens texting and driving *:*Times Argus Online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast