Air Pirate

Terramar Wool baselayer shrinkage

Just like George from Seinfeld, I am wary of shrinkage in wool garments, especially ones I order over the 'net. Campmor has some Terramar 100% Merino Wool baselayers on sale, machine washable, but I want to know if anyone has any experience with these on how much they may shrink. I don't want to order and have it end up too small, but I don't want to order up a size and have it too large to be useful as a baselayer while riding.

mtbr member
    Machine washable on cold for sure, hang dry. I err on too large, and if it ends up that way I can dampen the garment and put it through 15 min. episodes in a hot dryer till I have the size I want. I also end up with a tighter weave to boot.
    Also, aerobic/active wool clothing will shrink if owned over a long period of usage, just from constant sweat and plain air drying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Winter commuting

I can recommend Terramar wool and their silk too. I've been using both tops and bottoms for years hiking as well. I am a full time MTB commuter and wear what works for the weather. Today it's 13'F and I'm running just the wool and top layer of wool/poly pants; dress pants-low budget froma thift shop as a trial and they work like a charm..

Terramar stuff doesn't shrink-merino wool. I've been washing mine going on three years and except for moth holes for incoreect storage for summer, they're holding up great. Terramar just came out with a composite silk&wool garment line. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're doing long term cold-you'll overheat.

Drop a line if you want to know more. It's been a fun winter.

Air Pirate
    I have been using the Terramar baselayer for a little bit now and I am really impressed with it. Wasing it on the "Handwash" cold sysle and line drying it keeps it perfect. It has become softer with use. I really like the way it is so low on bulk but keeps my temperature regulated.