Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    I applaud their diligence, but a tazer might be a little much for no lights, and no helmet. I think jack-slapping him around a bit would have been fine
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

The White Jeff W

Re: Tazed for No Lights or Helmet

He was stopped for no lights or helmet. He was tazed because he fled.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Lights I get. Californ-I-A has a bike helmet law? Apparently so for under 18's:

What Is the California Bicycle Helmet Law? | eHow

Hard to tell a 19 year old from a 17 something when they don't stop for a chat. The fleeing could have justified the tazering, but the court apparently did not agree. I suppose the fine for no light is also small. Young and capable of bad judgement. If he also has illicit drugs, I suspect taht would not be considered excessive force.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Chris Rock: If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an azz kicking!

If you run from the cops, they generally assume it's because you're doing something pretty wrong. Probably not right to taze the guy, but I'd expect the same if I tried to run.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Lights I get. Californ-I-A has a bike helmet law?
    This happened in Port Angeles, WA and yep there is a helmet law.

I have no sympathy for him. You get a lawful order to stop, you stop.

Moderator Moderator
    I'd have to agree with the excessive force judgment. We had a guy here killed by a tazer a few years ago and it made a lot of the forces re-evaluate their policies and treat tazers more like a potentially lethal weapon.

Plus I guess I once "fled" from an officer that told me I was on the ped path (it was empty and I was with someone marathon training) I said OK and kept going on the bike path, thinking that's all he wanted. I did stop when he said "You're not done". I'd be interested in what they said/did and whether he heard anything more than blahblahblah.

mtbr member
    ^^ Inadequate communication on the officer's part does not mean 'fleeing' on your part. You might have a hearing impairment, for example. I have tinitus and when taking meds my parsing of sounds can be affected. Yes, context is everything. I have met people who would make the guards of the bride groom in Monty Python and the Holy Grail seem like geniuses, as they could not understand even simpler commands.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My oldest son is a Seattle Police Officer. You cannot believe what he deals with on a daily basis. Guess that twists my perspective. I always give the police the benefit of the doubt.

Moderator Moderator
    A tough job for you both. Props to you both.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Enforcement of behavior laws, getting people hurt ... Can it get any better !

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I have no sympathy for him. You get a lawful order to stop, you stop.
    I am amazed at how many people in this ostensibly free country take the side of authority and brutality as a knee-jerk reaction.

mtbr member
    If you decide on civil disobedience, it has consequences. Whether tazering should be a one of the consequences, may still be debatable but the court said no. Another case of a cyclist disobeying officers intending that he stop comes to mind. If 9/11 has police firing on kids, maybe we need to think about what we are becoming. Should officers have tazered Elliot when he was riding away with ET? Fiction, I know my in such stories lies cultural truth.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It must sucks being a cop in Port Angeles where the judicial system doesn't have your back for doing your job. If you flea after given a lawful order to stop, a police officer has the right to use the minimal amount of force necessary to detain you; in this case he or she used a non-lethal taser. Other non-lethal methods would be pepper spray or tackling the cyclist. Regardless of what methods are used against him, he's gonna cry excessive force.

Taser- crash his bike and fall
    Pepper spray - crash his bike and fall
    Getting tackled - crash his bike and fall

banned
    Aug 2012
    WOW !
    Eastman was contacted by police for not wearing a helmet and not having any lights on his bicycle
    And some of you are OK with using force to ensure the guy is safe ?

Who did LE protect in this situation, ands why must we protect people from themselves ?