mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Tax Break for Bike Commuters

This may have been discussed before, but does anyone have any extra information on the bike tax credit for commuters?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/us...ef=environment

Is anyone taking advantage of it? I'd like to know how to go about doing so. Also, I'm a teacher, does this apply to us?

My Brain Hurts!
    So this is law nation wide now?

If so I will need to enlighten my accountant as to how many times a week I ride my bike to work from April through November.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My understanding is that it is only beneficial if your employer adds it to their benefit plans, which may not occur due to the expense of managing the benefit. I hope I am wrong, but that seems to be the gist of the research I've done so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just sent the article and some questions to my School Business Admin. and a few other people that might be able to find something out. I'll let you guys know if /when I hear anything.

mtbr member
    I was told by my HR department that "the act is too confusing to figure out, but we'll let you know if we decide to include it..."

I wish I could just say "boy, this project is just too darn hard boss - I'm not gonna do it". Oh well, I'll keep riding anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I got a reply from one person over at the district office today, and they said they found a tax break for the companies (when they provide commuter services), but nothing for the actual commuter. I think the company is supposed to pass the savings onto the commuter, but idk. I'm going to talk to my brother tonight, he's an accountant. I'll try to post some more info.

mtbr member
    IMHO, that tax-break is ill-conceived. There's too much overhead to it, and there is too much ambiguity. What if I drive one day per month? What if I drive two days per month? At what point do I stop being deserving of the break?

The think to do would be to find a low-overhead mechanism. Raise the gasoline tax. That benefits all users of mass-transit, in that they won't have to pay as much gas tax as drivers will. We could also consider what Canada did (or still does?) by omitting sales tax on bicycle purchases up to a certain amount. But the idea of requiring the employer to administer a piddly, $20/month break? Meh. Who's gonna bother?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    IMHO, that tax-break is ill-conceived. There's too much overhead to it, and there is too much ambiguity. What if I drive one day per month? What if I drive two days per month? At what point do I stop being deserving of the break?

The think to do would be to find a low-overhead mechanism. Raise the gasoline tax. That benefits all users of mass-transit, in that they won't have to pay as much gas tax as drivers will. We could also consider what Canada did (or still does?) by omitting sales tax on bicycle purchases up to a certain amount. But the idea of requiring the employer to administer a piddly, $20/month break? Meh. Who's gonna bother?
    oh, yeah, don't forget the employer isn't required to reimburse you. Check the other thread going on about the same subject. Everyone's employer (including mine) has said no thanks.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Pop...

Do you have any literature that I could share with my district on at least having the option to do so?

Thanks.

My Brain Hurts!
    Hmmm.

So this is starting to look like just another lump of govt poop in our cheerios, huh?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homieg9999
    Pop...

Do you have any literature that I could share with my district on at least having the option to do so?

Thanks.
    I got all my info from this thread. Bike Commuter Tax Benefit...Anyone getting this yet?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"