more beers, lees gears.

tail light with a rear rack

So i have a seat post mounted rack, with a large-ish rear trunk. All of my tail lights are post mount.

i have a similar set up to this. Only with a post mounted rack

What do you guys do to get a tail light on the back? i know my bag has reflective strips and logos, but we all know that does no good.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If the rack has a flat center plate, one easy solution is to bolt a piece of seatpost-sized wooden dowel to the underside of the rack's center plate, then mount your taillight on the dowel. The attached photo illustrates the idea with a piece of small dowel. If you don't have any dowel, go buy a spool of thread and use the spool
    Attached Images Attached Images

more beers, lees gears.
    Great Idea!

Actually, to take it a step further, (because I fear that dowel coming loose, or splitting out over time / water) I am going to use a 1" PVC, with some washers. I will run a bolt through my rear rack, and into the 2" long PVC with the washers on the bottom to hold it.

Thanks! I'll post a pic when i have it just to share.

I Ride for Donuts
    My post-mount taillight uses a clip to attach itself to the post-mount...so when it's removed from its mount it still has a little clip on it that you can use to clip it onto a backpack, etc.

I would sew a little loop of webbing/fabric on the back of the trunk/bag, and clip the light to that. I wouldn't be surprised if it even already had a loop that would work.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

more beers, lees gears.
    yeah, i have a similar cat-eye tail light with the belt clip. No loop on my bag for some reason. I have just opened the rear zipper and hooked it there, but it leans downward too much.

LCI #1853
    I run a Delta rack on the back of my commuters, and there's a little flat plate hanging vertically across the back. A little work with a drill, and I bolted a tail light mount back there to hold a Superflash or a Cateye EL-1100... depending which bike ;-)

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    yeah, i have a similar cat-eye tail light with the belt clip. No loop on my bag for some reason. I have just opened the rear zipper and hooked it there, but it leans downward too much.

You could put a bungee around the bag and hook it on there to avoid the droopy effect.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)