Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Suspension Fork VS Schwalbe Fat Franks: The Lesser Evil?

9K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Dwayne 
#1 ·
My grind to work consists of blasting down decaying asphalt roads at speeds that make my choice to not wear a helmet moronic.

Two thirds of it are a steep descent at speeds approaching 45 mph (the speed limit is 35, and the cars that actually go the speed limit... are going slower than me for most of it)

My own stupidity aside, the 80psi tires on a Rigid Soma Groove are KILLING my wrists. And I'm left trying to decide how to take care of that.

Fork or Tires.

If I didn't have to pedal back up that hill, I'd go with the high volume tires. easy.

but skinny's on a locked out suspension fork, seem like they might be a bit easier.

thoughts?

#8 ·
If you need puncture protection, try Big Apples. I can't promise they will stop goat heads, but I've used a set off and on for a while and have never gotten a flat. I've also heard at least one report of setting them up tubeless successfully. They aren't light but don't feel heavy. Once they start rolling they don't want to stop. I have the 29x2.35 size and generally run them at about 30 PSI.

#4 ·
I'd go with the fat tires over different forks as well.

Not sure what would defeat goat heads. One thing you can try is to run thorn resistant tubing inside a mediocre resistance tire. For example, WTB Nanoraptor tires don't fare well against goatheads, but people have mentioned they have had success with WTB Nanoraptors + thorn resistant tubing.

#5 ·
Flat care isn't my first concern, push come to shove I can Stans another tube.

I just remember running 1.5's on my 45 pound, front squish voltage, and 1.5's on the Soma. and then running the same pair of Maxxis Ardents (2.35) on both bikes... and noticing that the 45 pound jumper on skinny's was substantially faster than my groove with fatties.

yeah a lot of pedal power was lost... but that lack of rolling resistance... Oooooh its tempting.

#6 ·
I've got big apples on a rigid, old mountain bike, and big slicks are terrific fun. The extra weight might take a bit of getting used to when you're accelerating off the line, but at cruising speed they're pretty efficient - they don't feel anything like my ardents. I'd totally recommend giving fatfranks/biggapples/supermotos/... a try.

#7 ·
just made changes on my soma groove
maxxis ikon 2.2 => fat franks 2.35
suspension fork => steel rigid fork

i can say that fat franks are really heavy, but they do add some comfort, i feel it with my butt.
but they won't help you with really big bumps as a suspension fork would do
so i have a "hot swap" - a separate pair of wheels and two forks for city and for backwoods. it takes me 20 minutes to swap

#10 ·
My vote is tubeless Big Apples. two flats in 5000 miles on that set-up for me, and I live in Goathead country also. I pulled countless goatheads out of those tires...never got a flat from one. My first flat was a big nail that the tubeless goo couldn't handle (maybe at the 3000 mile mark), and my second was from a staple that punctured the tube I had to put in because of the nail hole that the tubeless goo couldn't handle. They set up tubeless very easily, and held air at least as well as tubes. The big fat slicks are fun, and it's not so bad climbing with them... it's good for you.

...and going from 80psi to 20 or 30 on a set of BA's will make you feel like you're riding a full suspension mountian bike. It's glorious.

#11 ·
I'm running some of the 26x1.25" Forte Metro K tires from Performance, pumped up to 75psi. I have a 17 mile commute one-way, takes me 55-60 minutes depending on traffic lights, typical city roads/suburban roads. It's a steel-framed, rigid fork MTB (posted a picture in the commuter bike pic thread last week). I've been thinking about switching to some 1.6" or 2.0" Schwalbe tires though for a little more comfort, but wouldn't want it at the cost of a lot more rolling resistance. I was looking at the Big Apples or the Marathon Supremes specifically. I thought I'd piggyback my question in this thread since the feedback might help the OP. Any thoughts?

#12 ·
^^ I didn't get slower when I went to the BA's. I think they easily make up for thier weight in small-bump absorbtion/low rolling resistance. If you're already doing 17 miles on 26" wheels, you're not going to feel slower with the BA's. Just my 2 cents.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm going to order some 26x2.0" BAs today. Just debating between the "Active Line" and the "Performance Line." The PL seems to have a better puncture protection layer, better rubber compound, and is lighter. Do you know which ones you were using, CommuterBoy?

#14 ·
^^ I think that 'Active' and 'performance' thing is new.. I heard they changed them slightly. I still have mine hanging in the garage... I can look at the sidewall, but I think there's nothing like that on there. ...but for the commute, I'd buy whichever one was heavier. Durability over saving weight for the commute in my book.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, that's the thing... according to what I'm reading, the lighter PL is better with punctures, and has the "Endurance" rubber compound which is supposed to last longer than the AL's regular compound.

Just trying to find the best deal on these now. Wallbike only carries the Active Line.

Edit: 26x2.15" Big Apples Performance Lines are ordered!

#17 ·
it might not be the difference in the tire/fork that's causing wrist pain.
It is. My bike is fit rather well. I should know I fit it as I built it. my form is also fine. I could GREATLY use a wider bar (I did not realize how narrow 56cm would feel until after the part was purchased, frankly I could handle deep into the 60's) I was brought up on the short stem wide bar combo with my DJ bikes, So I'd prefer them. but my 110mm stem really places me in the perfect spot over the frame. so until I find an affordable 25.4 bar that's wider... I'm gonna wait.

also I've got about 3,000 miles on the bike. and the wrist pain didn't start till my commute changed to include a high speed hill descent.

but yeah, lookin at a pair of BA's in creme!

#20 ·

First Ride Review:
Pro:very forgiving ride, great looks, and gobs of traction (at least in warm road conditions) great cornering/handling
con: Slow to accelerate, but not nearly as bad as knobbies. once at speed they maintain rather well, but nothing like my 85 psi skinnies.

verdict: while not as blastingly fast as my skinnies. the comfort of them outweighs the mild reduction in speed. also, while they may accelerate a bit slower. they do accelerate smoother, as the increased traction means I get a lot less tire slip.

#23 ·
Yeah, the bike handles like it's on rails now!

The one change I'd like to make now is, Wider RIMS. something that wont add weight or cost too much. but that will give my tire a little more stability. the equalizer25 rims are a bit pinchy on these treads...

I'm thinking something like Velocity Blunts. I dunno.

WIDE, Slightly light, and cheapish.

#28 ·
I think he has Fat Franks, that's what they look like to me anyway. I hijacked his thread in the middle with a bunch of BA talk, my bad. :D

Fat Franks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.