mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Surly trailers cost too much...

So, are there any other trailers out there good for hauling plywood, and lumber and other bizarre crap that would be reliable over long distances?

I Ride for Donuts
    How far are you hauling plywood? I like my Bob Yak, but it's not going to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    20-30 miles maybe.

I Ride for Donuts
    Dude.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, that is ambitious! Some of our lumberyards deliver. If you must haul by bike, I have no relevant experience, but I have had Home Depot cut a piece to size (no charge for a few cuts), so maybe you could use & haul a somewhat more manageable (2) 2' x8' half-sheets? Do it on a day with no wind. Perhaps peruse the cargobike forum above for ideas. I do recall someone on the fatbike forum that rigged an extended trailer for hauling a canoe (kayak?) on the trail, maybe search for that.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely cheaper and made in USA instead of Taiwan. Surly wants like 600 bucks plus you have to buy the hitch separate!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Dude.
    +1.

I hope you have no wind, ever, while riding with a 4 x 8 sheet of anything on your bike, but if you are really so inclined, I think the Bikes At Work (linked by BrianMc) trailer is the only over-the-counter method available. It seems to me there are some crazy hombrews made from aluminum ladders in the "Utility" subforum over at BFnet.

NONDURO
    Whatever happened to Stu In Tokyo??? He was using a badass over-engineered trailer of his own design that must have cost buttloads less money than the Surly Ted trailer. His could haul several kegs of beer in addition to several cases of beer at the same time.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    +1.

I hope you have no wind, ever, while riding with a 4 x 8 sheet of anything on your bike, but if you are really so inclined, I think the Bikes At Work (linked by BrianMc) trailer is the only over-the-counter method available. It seems to me there are some crazy hombrews made from aluminum ladders in the "Utility" subforum over at BFnet.
    You can haul it flat or cut up.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ...I hope you have no wind, ever, while riding with a 4 x 8 sheet of anything on your bike,..
    Dang, now I want to try it - maybe some old skateboards, a dozen screws, and some way to keep it from passing you on the downhills!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Whatever happened to Stu In Tokyo??? .
    That Trailers.. link in my post is his thread. If one can weld, he has provided a good base plan.

If I was hauling 4 x 8 panels they had better be heavy, low, and horizontal. No single sheet luan underlayment. Being able to change their angle of attack a coupe of inches for head, tail, or side winds and avoiding windy days would be wise.

+ 2 "'Dude!"

BrianMc

This warrants video documentation.

+1 on delivery

weirdo
    Oh, yeah- I`d forgotten about Tokyo Stu. He did a nice job

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    You can haul it flat or cut up.
    If you can cut it up, I`m sure that`ll make a huge difference. If not cut up, "flat" goes without saying, but even then I`d probably add a bag of mortar to my shopping list for each trip. Give it a shot, though- having never attempted such a feat, I must admit I`m only speculating.

mtbr member
    I built one from an old decrepit and nearly destroyed kid hauler I pulled from the city dump for free. I paid for some hardware (less than $3) but otherwise used some old redwood cutoffs for the deck. Then did some smithing on the metal pieces, added some padding to aid in the hauling (extra pipe wrap I had o hand) and that was it. This might be a way to go for you too.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Surly trailers cost too much...
    The Surly trailers don't come "useable" really, you need to put some sort of deck on it, or some sides. You could just strap stuff to the frame, but why not protect the frame with some wood? They lend themselves to customization, so hopefully no two will be exactly alike.

I think the quality reflects the price and it's not too expensive, for what you get. The custom hubs and proprietary expansion axles, and sealed cartridge bearings with spacers sealed the deal for me. It's engineered so well.
    Last edited by Gritter; 01-27-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

mtbr member
    Have had great success with the Burley flatbed cargo trailer and tie down straps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005