mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Sunrace MTB Friction shifter with Tiagra 4600?

So I did some searching, but admittedly not very exhaustive searching. Going to have a spare Tiagra 4600 group, and was thinking about using some flatbars I have laying around to make a beater flat bar roadie. Has anyone used these shifters with 10 speed derailleurs with any degree of success? Shifters are friction, so in theory they'd work, right?

Shifter in question: Sunrace MTB Friction Shift Lever > Components > Shifters > Mountain Bike Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Have any of you used these, or something similar? Pros? Cons? Reviews?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    TO address the principle involved, I used my old Suntour Cyclone (circa 1984? 2 x 5 speed, friction) to shift a 10 speed Campy Centaur RD and Cassette. It look almost all of its throw to do all 10. A little cable stretch would lose a ratio until the cable was drawn tight again at the bottom of its range. It worked. It was a DT shifter on a largish frame and I have loved the Campy 10 speed brifters but they were pricey enough they had better be nice. So if the lever moves enough cable it could work. I have no idea about the reliability or feel of the Sunrace shifter.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    So I did some searching, but admittedly not very exhaustive searching. Going to have a spare Tiagra 4600 group, and was thinking about using some flatbars I have laying around to make a beater flat bar roadie. Has anyone used these shifters with 10 speed derailleurs with any degree of success? Shifters are friction, so in theory they'd work, right?

Shifter in question: Sunrace MTB Friction Shift Lever > Components > Shifters > Mountain Bike Shifters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Have any of you used these, or something similar? Pros? Cons? Reviews?

Thanks in advance!
    All that matters is if the shifter has enough cable pull.

But IME using friction shifters with a 9-or more speed cassette is a PITA. You must be VERY precise in your lever movement.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If the shifter works with 8 gears, it will work with 9 or 10 since the width of all three cassettes are the same. If you have the tiagra shifters lying around, why not go drop bar? Just a thought, though I am strongly biased toward drop bars

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    ^^ The Suntour had the reputation as the best lever ever made (not my assessment, but they had a great feel) so I had no issues selecting exactly the ratio I wanted and it stayed if the tension on the lever was right. Less precise levers could be a royal PITA. I have another Suntour on my 1 x 9 and the trick is to get that screw set to clamp the lever hard enough. When too loose it is a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ The Suntour had the reputation as the best lever ever made (not my assessment, but they had a great feel) so I had no issues selecting exactly the ratio I wanted and it stayed if the tension on the lever was right. Less precise levers could be a royal PITA. I have another Suntour on my 1 x 9 and the trick is to get that screw set to clamp the lever hard enough. When too loose it is a PITA.
    Still a PITA, especially when riding on any rough surface. I used SunTour shifters, too (that I have had since new from 1985). The issue is not getting the lever to stay where you need it, but to get it to the right spot in the first place.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    All that matters is if the shifter has enough cable pull.

But IME using friction shifters with a 9-or more speed cassette is a PITA. You must be VERY precise in your lever movement.
    Are there some shifters or solutions you'd recommend? I could always use drop bars, but I wanted to keep this simple, cheap (since I already have 95% of the parts necessary) and try something different. I'm sure someone will say use Paul Thumbies, but again, they're pretty expensive. I could always just go with the Shimano flat bar shifters, I suppose.

Appreciate the comments here everyone. Keep 'em coming!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive used the sunrace thumbies with a mix of 9 spd XT and SLX components. It worked for the most part. On uneven surfaces or rough roads the shifters slipped enough where i constantly found myself making micro adjustments. You could crank down the anchoring bolts so far. I beat the **** outta these shifters and they kept working.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Still a PITA.. not getting the lever to stay where you need it, but to get it to the right spot in the first place.
    Never had that problem. I can hit each ratio after I recalibrate switching bikes. So I guess I am very precise. That and $5 might get me a premium coffee. However, rough pavement is the worst the errand bike sees. Shifting like this for free is fine. Paying bucks for the privilege, not so much, unless saving quite a few $$. As a late convert I can say that indexing is nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Friction shifting works great!

... IME using friction shifters with a 9-or more speed cassette is a PITA. You must be VERY precise in your lever movement.
    My experience is different. Since about 2010 I've been using an old Shimano bar-end shifter mounted on a Paul Components Thumbie, so it mounts up like a regular thumb shifter. I run a Deore long cage derailleur and an Ultegra 9sp cluster. The shifting works great as long as I keep the attachment screw tight. It doesn't take long to learn the feel of the cluster spacing. But then, I was racing for more than 10 years with friction shifters before STI was introduced so maybe that had something to do with it. It's a truly versatile system.

Re: Sunrace MTB Friction shifter with Tiagra 4600?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo_skils View Post
    My experience is different. Since about 2010 I've been using an old Shimano bar-end shifter mounted on a Paul Components Thumbie, so it mounts up like a regular thumb shifter. I run a Deore long cage derailleur and an Ultegra 9sp cluster. The shifting works great as long as I keep the attachment screw tight. It doesn't take long to learn the feel of the cluster spacing. But then, I was racing for more than 10 years with friction shifters before STI was introduced so maybe that had something to do with it. It's a truly versatile system.
    I, too, have used friction shifters for many years. On smooth terrain friction and 9-/10-sp shifting is fine.

Get on a rough trail--not so much. The room for error is too small.
    mtbtires.com