mtbr member
    May 2012

Suggestions for using my 29er hard tail for commuting

Hey,

I have a stock 2010 rockhopper that I'm thinking of using to commute to work during the summer. I won't be biking every day during the week (maybe every 2 days).

The route that I will be taking is almost entirely a paved bike path (so very little rough patches).

Distance I will be riding: 24.0 KM (so total 48.0 KM per day to and from work).

Note that I will also want to use this bike for trail riding too so it's going to be dual-purpose.

This is my bike:

Detailed specs here: Specialized Bicycle Components

The components are stock (I have not made any upgrades yet).

I will be getting the bike fully tuned up prior to riding but at the same time I want to get some new components installed.

--------------------------------

I'm looking at buying the following upgrades for my bike:

Deity Black Label Bars $75 (I'm a big guy - 6'5 so I need wider bars)
    Deity Components Blacklabel Handlebars 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Shimano XT trail pedals
    Shimano XT M785 Trail Wide Platform MTB Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Shimano M088 MTB SPD Shoes
    Shimano M088 MTB SPD Shoes - Wide Fit 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

---------------------------------

I purchased the Osprey Talon 22 backpack for my commute as I'm not looking at using a bike rack and pannier. I also like the idea of having a hydration pack. I'm also probably going to be carrying a decent amount of stuff including a 13" laptop.

I have bike clothing, reflective gear and bike lights as well.

The last upgrade that I have thought about doing is the tires.

I have looked at the following tires:

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Tyre (700 x 35c size)
    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Schwalbe Marathon Dureme Folding 29er Tyre (700 x 35C size)
    Schwalbe Marathon Dureme Folding 29er Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Road Tyre (700 x 35C size)
    Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Road Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Do you have any additional suggestions / recommendations for me with regarding to using this mountain bike for commuting?

- What tyre do you recommend that I get? Which of the Schwalbe's above? Or do you know of another tyre that would suit my bike better?
    - Do you agree with my handle bar and pedal upgrades?
    - Any other upgrades you think I should make?

Please keep in mind that I want to use this bike for trail riding as well as commuting.

For the tyres I don't mind getting one type of tyre for trail riding and another type of tyre for commutting.

As an example, I was thinking about getting this tyre for trail riding:

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Trailstar 29er Folding Tyre (29 x 2.35)
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Trailstar 29er Folding Tyre | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Cheers and thanks in advance for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sean1337; 03-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    From time to time I have used my Giant Talon 29er to commute to work. Same kind of trip as yours, but mine is shorter. I ride about 6.5 miles each way (~10.5km). I don't think you will have any problems with using that. For a while when it was my only working bike I put some Big Apple slicks on it and locked out my front fork.

I say the best commuter bike is the one you are riding now..... They almost all work fine.

I Ride for Donuts
    Some people mount old-school bar ends way inside of the shifters near the stem, for another hand position option that doesn't mess with you on the trail... I've never done that, but when I ride my 29er mtb to work, I wind up grabbing the bar way inboard, like near the stem, to get in a little better aero position for the road... otherwise I feel like a sail, catching all that wind. I think I'm going to wrap a little bit of bar tape in that area, just for a little comfort.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)