mtbr member

Suggest brake levers and cantis, or V brakes for rig

Hey all, i know I should search here, but i'm slammed for time. I need to replace the brakes ( old cantis) on my surly crosscheck. I've got 25 yr old levers that are VERY uncomfortable for my hands ( need shorter throw ) and the brakes are pretty weak. I'm thinking of V brakes and new levers, but would still like to be able to run fenders on this rig.

can someone suggest options CHEAP, for replacing my brakes? Non STI. I'm running barend shifters.

thanks alot. Stoked to be able to start commuting to work again, as I've moved my office a whopping 4 miles from home! Better than nothing eh?

c

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I run the Cane Creek V-brake compatible road levers on my cross check. For the brake I am using the stuff off my RL monocog 29er. I think they have great power and I have no problems shutting down the speed quickly while commuting in our city. For reference I am 6'2" and I just weighed in at a portly 198 lbs the other day at the Doctors office. I don't think you would have any problems running fenders with the v-brakes, but I am not sure as I don't have fenders on my cross check.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tektro RL520 for levers. You need a drop lever with a long cable pull. Tektro makes a V-brake that is extra tall for fender clearance. Works on my 29er, barely. Front and rear plus levers would run about $45.