Moderator Moderator

Still on my DumbPhone and StupidBike

yep, I still use a dumbphone, and will continue to do so. no desire for the smartbike, either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Possible future developments: It even pedals for you!

Why do we need something like this? Or did we forget the idea of if it isn't broke don't fix it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Might be useful for training applications (ie force you to ride at high cadence, etc) but one of the less useful inventions for a utility/commuter cyclist I've seen. The beauty of a bike is that it is so simple; I tell that to friends whenever I help them learn basic maintenance; way easier to diagnose/fix problems than a car.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Despite the overuse of the word smart, that is the dumbest idea I've heard in a while.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I wonder if they make a singlespeed version too?

mtbr member
    Can you imagine being out in the boonies and the thing going haywire? Index shifting can present some difficulties versus the more easily jury rigged friction in a stumble home mode. Today at the end of the ride the iPhone app said 0 miles in 0 minutes at 0 mph. It did record the ride, just some snafu prevented an updated display. Not confidence inspiring for shifting control, is it? Maybe I want to spin or lug it. IPhone leave my shifts alone! All in all its just another brick in the wall. Where's Pink Floyd when you need them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think it'll be simpler to use one of those autoshift bikes and change the shifting threshold up or down depending on what you want it to do.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like my smartphone...

But I'd rather my bike be controlled by things that are permanently attached to it. Not like I need a cycle computer either...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    The picture shows a bike with a derailleur, but I'd think this would only work well with an IGH?

When a rider's cadence rate slows, the application automatically sends a signal to shift into a lower gear.
    Everyone quickly learns that you need to shift early with a derailleur. If you wait until your cadence is already slowing then you're probably walking the rest of the hill. I wouldn't trust mapping software to figure out the split-second that it should do a proactive shift, but maybe I'm paranoid?

...increases safety by automatically shifting down gears when the rider brakes too fast.
    Which also won't work so great with a derailleur. Have these people ridden a bike?

My experience with spendy derailleurs only goes up to slx, but I assume that even the really fancy ones don't let you just shift whenever you want without consequences?

Oh...and I also like smartphones. I didn't get a cellphone until cellphones actually became useful for something.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Half of these inventions seem to come from people who don't ride bikes or took it up about two weeks ago.

Not that I'm ready to think that the bicycle CAN'T be improved. But we haven't seen a usability improvement since 1992.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    I wonder if they make a singlespeed version too?
    I was thinking the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    lol I dont even have a cell phone >.<

mtbr member
    I guess I am a step closer. Santa brought an iBike and accessories for my iPhone which somehow miraculously was undamaged in my accident. The iBike comes with a speed sensor and you can opt for a cadence sensor but Santa did not and that was a good choice. It did come with the optional heart sensor as the 4 year-old Sigma quit the ride before the crash. I can also add bluetooth earphones for tunes. Somewhere between "Born to be Wild" and "Take it Easy".

I have to scope out the roads by car before a ride to check it out. Downtown is still a big mess and the road emergency was only lifted this morning.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That is a really cool use for technology but seems waaaaay too complicated for something so simple.