mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Still havent found the perfect grips

I have ergon GX3's, but still get numb and pain in my palms. Jeese, it seems simple enough...i need thick, squishy grips, but cant find them. Any recommendations?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
    I have ergon GX3's, but still get numb and pain in my palms. Jeese, it seems simple enough...i need thick, squishy grips, but cant find them. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Thick squishy grips just like thick squishy seats really don't help nerve problems in the hand...

First bike set up including bars, then proper gloves, then hand and wrist exercises...then grips...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We had this problem with my wife and like jeffscott said, try a bar first. We switched her's out to a Titec H-bar that I found on clearance at REI and she hasn't had hand pain since.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a friend who rides with a thin MTB grip wrapped in road bike handlebar tape... makes for a very squishy situation. He swears by it, says the numbness is cured.

If you've tried various shapes and squishynesses, and even ergons, I'd play with bike fit... raise the bars a tiny bit first, see if that helps. A tiny adjustment can make a big difference.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Last year I started getting bad wrist pain, so now I've got a whole pile of different grips. GP and GA Ergons, ODI Rogues, and some random ones from the bargain bin.

The ergons are my preferred grips, but they didn't completely fix my problems. The Rogues are grippy and really cushy compared to the ergons, and they might go back on the bike when things dry up a bit. But adjusting my saddle and stem/bar probably had as much of an effect as grips.

More than that though, now when I ride I'm constantly reminding myself "Light Hands - Heavy Feet." My problems aren't from just riding along, but from hard braking/turning so now I try to be super-careful to avoid bad habits.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe

Thanks
    GX3 is a racing grip....not a commuting grip. The GX line of grips are the stiffest grips we produced. They are intended for 1-2 hr hard efforts.

Ideally, for commuting you will want to look at grips in the 'Performance Comfort' lineup on our website. These offer a softer wing and rubber compound.

Also note, as others have mentioned, bike setup and geometry will effect rider comfort.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    I commute on drop bars in the summer, switch to a flat bar bike in winter. I experience the same hand issues as you on flat bars, while having no issues on a drop bar.

Part of my issue is using pogies which restrict hand movement, being able to use different positions on a bar, helps.... alot

Depending on how uncomfortable the hands get you might put a different bar into the decision matrix.

I use an Ergo grip in the winter, the placement of the 'tab' makes a big difference as a pressure point, rotated the grip to find the sweet spot.

I Ride for Donuts
    Jeff, awesome that you showed up representing Ergon in this thread. That's the kind of PR that works.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Jeff, awesome that you showed up representing Ergon in this thread. That's the kind of PR that works.

Huh, didn't realize I did....

I have a pair of ERGON knock offs from MEC cost I think $9.00 bucks or something...(I go through a set of grips about every two years.)

They are okay...

Buddy has a pair of ERGON's on his bike he sure likes them....

He did spend $60 bucks to get his bike fitted, and took the guys reccomendation to get the ERGONs cause he needed them.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302693629 Huh wadda you know $6 bucks.

mtbr member
    ^ I tried the MEC faux-ergons (which I think are rebranded PRO ergonomic grips) before real ergons, and really prefer the ergons. My negative review is on their site under the $18 locking ones.

Paraphrasing myself:

The "wing" part of the MEC grips is convex, so your hand sits on it. The wing on the Ergon grips is concave, so it cups your hand.

The wing part of the MEC grip is also fairly short, and is set in about an inch from the end of the grip. For me this concentrated pressure in the middle of my palm which is not a great area for absorbing pressure. The Ergon grips have a wing that is longer and further towards the outside which distributes the pressure over the whole heal of the palm.

The MEC grips are very girthy at the inner lockring, and I found they were causing me to contort my thumb into weird angles. The Ergon grips are significantly narrower which makes them easier to grip with the thumb and fingers.
    The ergons aren't perfect, but personally I like them a lot more than the MEC ones.

I also briefly tried the Specialized body geometry grips. I can't really give a full review of them, but they're nice and small (Ergons are pretty big, even in small size), and they're noticeably a lot softer than the Ergons. They're like a normal grip that happens to have a little wing on it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled
    ^ I tried the MEC faux-ergons (which I think are rebranded PRO ergonomic grips) before real ergons, and really prefer the ergons. My negative review is on their site under the $18 locking ones.

Paraphrasing myself:

The ergons aren't perfect, but personally I like them a lot more than the MEC ones.

I also briefly tried the Specialized body geometry grips. I can't really give a full review of them, but they're nice and small (Ergons are pretty big, even in small size), and they're noticeably a lot softer than the Ergons. They're like a normal grip that happens to have a little wing on it.

To paraphrase my review: they are okay.

mtbr member
    I swear by the Ergon grips- GC2 on the MTB and GP1 on the commuter. Those, along with proper bike setup should cure your problems. I used to have hand problems, but no longer.