mtbr member

steel commuter frame

been commuting thru sf on my specialized allez to and from work, round trip is about 13 miles.

need a better commuting frame. can't mount any bag holders to front or back, i want a steel frame because on my allez i get bounced around a bit.

suggestions? ive seen soma and all city. looking for something similar to the space horse and mr pink. but somewhere in between...ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Surlys: LHT, crosscheck, straggler (crosscheck with disc). I think the Salsa casserole is kaput, but there's the vaya and possibly the fargo. Rawland is a personal fave. Tons of stuff out there. I also like the All City, especially the nature boy with the Hennepin ave bridge dropouts, but single speed of course.
    No fuss with the MUSS

I love my Vaya. it's a great steel ride. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a bike that I keep for many years.

I bought a frameset and built it up myself, mostly with existing parts that came from a previous build.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Buy local..black mountain cycles

I Ride for Donuts
    Love my Surly.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6 View Post
    been commuting thru sf on my specialized allez to and from work, round trip is about 13 miles.

need a better commuting frame. can't mount any bag holders to front or back, i want a steel frame because on my allez i get bounced around a bit.

suggestions? ive seen soma and all city. looking for something similar to the space horse and mr pink. but somewhere in between...ideas?
    I have a Chromag sakura, very springy and comfortable. Its like night and day compared to my old gt alu.

I have a banana under the seat bag, the biggest topeak xl there is. it lasted about 4 days with 2,5kg worth of locks in it. then the stitching broke on both straps. Had to make a sandwich of 2 alu plates, m6bolts, 5mm rubber sheets etc to make it durable. I lock it to the saddle with dual 8mm zipties and rubber sheets to prevent it from rattling (now when the outer surface is alu). I could probably put 10kg in there now and ride.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6 View Post
    It might help if you'd elaborate on what you mean by "in between" here. Specifically, what are the qualities of Mr. Pink that you're looking for, because to me it seems like the Space Horse ought to be the better choice in nearly every way that they're different.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like maybe you want something that handles like a road bike but has the utility of a citified cyclocross-ish bike. Unfortunately, I think this isn't quite possible. For instance, just reading from the geometry chart, Mr. Pink is shooting for nimble handling with its short chain stays and steep (relative to the Space Horse) tube angles. That makes the bike fun, but the short chain stays lead to heel strike with rear panniers, and the steeper tube angles lead to toe overlap at low speeds, especially if you're using a front fender. So while you can imagine something like Mr. Pink with more tire clearance and braze-ons for racks, to make it practical you'd have to modify the geometry until it ended up looking like the Space Horse.

There are lots of nice steel frames out there, but to figure out which one is right for you you'll need to zero in on what specific qualities you're looking for.

BTW, I think getting "bounced around" is more a function of tire width than frame material.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    The Fargo is a great commuter. Good riding position(s), comfortable and nearly limitless mounting points. You can vary the tires to meet your needs and the conditions. Planet bike fenders keep the muck coefficient down.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Afric Pepperbird
    Since we're all in a love fest here... I love my steel Jamis (Coda, to be exact).

mtbr member
    Pake C'Mute. Cheap, durable, does everything you want it to.

mtbr member
    Take a look at touring frames, as well. Slacker geometry over the race-y bikes and longer wheelbase.

Surly - Cross-check, or LHT
    Soma - Saga or Grand Randonneur
    etc.

blet drive
    look at the specialized awol
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im commuting on the new Vassago Fisticuff and very happy. Not as snappy as my carbon road bike, but SO smooth over rough city streets.

[IMG] photo photo_zps542dc656.jpg[/IMG]

Recently Singlespeed-d it. Would like to do fenders and dynamo hub and permanent lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steel commuter frame-photo.jpg  

Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens