mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Starting my commute Monday

I'm starting Monday its a 13 Mile Round trip with some small roads and busy at point's
    But im excited. I am doing this to lose weight, Save money and make less waste with gas.
    I will be using my 1999 Trek 6000 with Knobby tires. But will make it more commuter friendly once I start getting some money. I have my tool bag packet and have an extra tube and all the stuff I reed on here to carry so im good to go. Just need to pick up a good helmet this weekend. So Add 1 more commuter. I will be commuting every day except in the rain,

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. There are so many positives to commuting by bike and you'll upset on those rainy days when you are having to get to work on 4 wheels.
    Enjoy.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

Which way? Uphill.
    Good for you.

You seem pretty excited so don't get discouraged if you have to take days off while getting started; it might take a few weeks before you're conditioned enough to do the commute everyday.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Good for you.

You seem pretty excited so don't get discouraged if you have to take days off while getting started; it might take a few weeks before you're conditioned enough to do the commute everyday.
    Agreed. I started out with the thought of commuting 2 or 3 days per week. That was back in late June. Now my thoughts are more like 4 or 5 days per week. It's really addictive once you start. Enjoy!

mtbr member

Another new commuter

I will also start commuting to and from school soon. It is about 8 miles round trip, and will save me gas and maybe even some time since I won't have to sit in the California traffic. I would ride to work but that is a good 35 mile ride, one way! I will stick to carpooling to work.

Have fun! I know I will.

mtbr member
    I've been commuting to work for the last couple of weeks now and am loving it. Not only are you getting exercise you are saving money and the environment. I have decided I want to do it come rain or shine but would like to know what you guys would recomend for keeping dry ?? I looked at getting a poncho, are they to restrictive though ??
    Its difficult to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Luffers
    I've been commuting to work for the last couple of weeks now and am loving it. Not only are you getting exercise you are saving money and the environment. I have decided I want to do it come rain or shine but would like to know what you guys would recomend for keeping dry ?? I looked at getting a poncho, are they to restrictive though ??
    Actually a poncho is the LAST thing you want to ride in! They are actaully to large and volumus. Way to much extra material that can get caught in things like brakes wheels etc. and they also act like a sail if it happens to be windy. Your best bet is a rain jacket (and pants if you want to keep your legs dry too), and shoe covers for your feet if you wear cycling specific shoes. Just depends on how "dry" you want to be. They don't have to be cycling specific but it does help with the jacket as most have a drop waist in the rear of the tail to keep you covered in the riding position. Something with a hood is a good idea for the jacket as well. Nothing more irritating than haveing watter trickle down your back into your shorts! Also elastic gathers at the waist and cuffs of the jacket, and ankles of the pants are a plus. There are quite a few companies out there that offer good stuff in a very wide range of prices. O2 Cycling, Bellwether, Race Face, Salsa, Pearl Izumi, Shimano, and so on.

So shop around and pick your price range. Just one word of caution, try to stay away from the cheap plastic or vinyl offerings at wal-mart etc. They'll work, but you'll boil in them during a warm summer rain storm! You'll end up wetter from persperation and condensation than if you'd not even put em on. You deffinately need something breathable.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HardRock
    Welcome to the club. There are so many positives to commuting by bike and you'll upset on those rainy days when you are having to get to work on 4 wheels.
    Enjoy.
    This is true. I'm thinking about a rain suit!

mtbr member
    My first 40 or 50 bucks would go to buying some slicks, im sure thats a no brainer to most reading this. Have fun and stick with it. Ive been comuting for 4 mnths and am loving it. Talk about the best way to really up your MTBing!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's a great excuse to justify upgrades to your bike or to purchase another one!

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    It's a great excuse to justify upgrades to your bike or to purchase another one!
    I had a monthly gas budget when I started commuting... before long I was spending all of my gas money on upgrades and bike clothing. Commuting by bike didn't save me a dime for at least a year
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I still have the rain suit issued to be when I worked at Cedar Point. It is a sterns brand. The pants are a little baggy for riding, but other than that it's great. Good ventilation and a hood. It'll be 8 years old and still going this summer. Whatever brand you get, don't wash them in the washer. You'll make it not waterproof.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I had a monthly gas budget when I started commuting... before long I was spending all of my gas money on upgrades and bike clothing. Commuting by bike didn't save me a dime for at least a year
    BINGO!!!!!! That's exactly what I saw myself doing. With the wetter weather here, I'll be picking up a pair of KOOLSTOP Salmons.

To the NewBees....Slicks are great, but be sure to go with something with a small bit of grip on the front tire...you'll want traction to turn. I went with a Hutch Python when I road my 26er.

As far as keeping dry. If you have the money to spend after saving the gas money, there are some great products. I started out with a light weight EMT style jacket and pants. They had a great wind resistant shell and repeled water very well. This setup eventually began to leak, since then I've step up to a nice light wieght gortex outfit that flat out scares rain...pricey, but with saving gas money and selling wooden fenders, it didn't take long. SO welcome to the two wheel commuting world!!
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Luffers
    ...would like to know what you guys would recomend for keeping dry ???
    Most Important item to keep dry while riding in the wet is some good full fenders. Good fenders make a decent rainsuit excellent. I have some Planet Bike, TrekJeff makes some cool wood fenders

mtbr member
    I've been commuting 2-3 days a week, weather permitting, for a couple of months now on my 29er. I've grown so fond of it that I have ghetto fabbed a headlight mount to my handlebars and just ordered a spare wheelset so that I quit eating through my trail tires!

I throw my business clothes in my pack with my lunch and off to work I go. I typically leave my sport coat in my office. I need to get some reflective material to sew onto my backpack.

Anybody got any suggestion for some cross style tires to go on my new wheelset?

BIG and Bald
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...tprc=l&eid=355

The Fast Trak tire by Specialized is a really good tire. It's got enough tread if you ever decided to hit some dirt but it has very little resistance for a knobbie tire.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]