Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

... and if we just ... SS Commuters UNITE!!

How many of us are out there?

Bike: 09 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Experience: Novice
    Distance: 9-10 miles
    Hills: Gradual stuff, but one long steep bastard of a hill on my way home everyday.

smell my finger
    Mar 2008

SS commuters

I try and commute 3 times per week, 19 miles round trip and I use a monocog 29er with 42-20 gears. This rig has really helped in overall fitness, especially the core. If I don't commute to work I ride after it gets dark (twilight times are more dangerous) and do a 9-12 mile loop depending on how I feel. I plan on doing this throughout the winter and increase my days as the spring arrives. Lovin it....

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    60-70 miles round trip 1-2 times a week. 42-16 gears with semi-slicks. There are no shoulders along most of the route. It's fun to pull over into the dirt and keep on rolling. With the road bike I sometimes have to pull over and stop to allow room for semi trucks to pass. Overall the SS is only about 15 minutes slower in 30 miles.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    1700 miles so far this year...
    17 miles round trip. all on my singleated, fendered, racked trek 4300 commuting machine...surly rigid fork. Just got some Nokians for the Ice.

Viva La single speed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    6 miles each way, most every day, 15 years now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm in.
    Short commute - 4 miles round trip - rain, snow or hail
    Hills- yes, one big one. Heading home is always fun!
    Bike - mid 80's Nishiki Colorado with a milk crate on back

I love riding my bike to work, it helps me de-tox before I get home (usually).

Tribe Member
    Just started up again after changing jobs.

Commute is only 4 miles the quick way or 7 miles the long way.
    Doing it on a SS mtb that is set up fixie. 40/16, drop bars, v-brakes and Schwalbe Fast Freds 26x1.9
    It is 80% uphill on the quick way and almost flat on the long way

With the time change this weekend, nothing will change except the light will come out.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Cars Are Evil
    Usual commute is 6 miles each way with big shoulders and very mild hills. Sometimes more. Monday I have to do a HUGE climb and about 12 miles each way.

Gary Fisher Rig, 180mm cranks, 36x22, Nashbar trailer, 50+ lbs of carpentry tools. Fenders and Nokians are going on soon. Probably gonna wuss out and get an Alfine soon for higher top speed and easier climbing with the trailer.

nnn
    mtbr member
    18 miles a day, 5 days a week, 4th year running (been commuting 10 miles a day since more than 8 years now)
    Old-school 42-18 Peugeot
    100 PSI air horn
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    I commute about 50% of the time on my Trek Soho S. I changed out the chainring from a 42 to a 45 tooth and left the rear 17 freewheel intact. Most of the terrain is fairly calm around here but there is one beastly hill that I churn up on my way to school. It cuts me down to about 13MPH or so, but the bike is light enough that it doesnt matter much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cross check fixed. 42 X 16. Anywhere from 8-30 miles each way as time permits. Currently 2 days/week, summers are 5 days/week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    14miles round trip 3-5 times a week. A couple of flyovers that i have to stand for but mostly flat. Old Gary Fisher wahoo. Running the big gear up front(42t) with the derailleur taken off. I took apart the rear cassette and am using the 15t in back(had to grind the riviet, spot spacers. I got the chain line straight on the first try. Only dropped it once so far. Using the old rear derailleur as a chain tensioner. 1.5slicks. Fenders, BOB trailer

mtbr member
    May 2005

SS commuters!

Hi mates,
    Just got back home luckily in one piece!
    19.8 miles each way. Try to commute 1 or 2 times per week.
    39 - 15 gear on a Giant TR1 roadbike with a Pauls singlator, singlespeed bars, Ti egg beaters, and front brake only.
    Love this ex gearie roadbike.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    16mi roundtrip here in cincinnati. 2-3 times a week in a 4day workweek.
    Bike: 04 Haro V3, 42x16. Lots of lights, old rusty fender, smile all the way. Its getting cold though in the morn!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bare minimum, 70 miles a week. 46/16 fixed on the nice days, 42/17 fixed on the big 29" slick commuter on the crappy days.

One Colorful Rider
    25 miles round trip Daily 5 days a week thats straight backand forth.
    sometimes I'll run errand's onthe way to work which depending onwhere i'm going could add up to10 miles more

In the summer I use several different bikes aweek.
    three fixxed gear langsters with either a 44-15,44-16, 42-15

in the winter it mostly my San Jose with a 42-17 fixed or if it snows my surly 1x1 with a 36-16.

Mostly flat in a Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Easy 1-mile commute - but the high point of the ride is in the middle of the ride...so it's uphill and downhill every day! I ride day or night, rain or snow.

Right now, I ride either a Schwinn Panther cruiser or a Kona Paddy Wagon - SS, of course.

-RAJ

mtbr member
    May 2007
    70s POS beater bike, 25 mile round trip.

3-4 days in summer, 1-2 in fall (scheduling conflicts)

All fixed... 45-15 in summer, backed off to 45-17 recently.

May pull the trigger on a Moto Fantom Uno... it'll give me the rear brake I need for the hills around here, then I'll beef up the tires and take it off-road too.

mtbr member
    19 miles round trip
    Hilly terrain
    Giant Bowery (fixes count as SS right )

I try to commute 4 times a week when I am feeling well.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Man some of you guys do some fierce commutes. Kudos to you.

As if SS wasn't tough enough with hills, I didn't find out that I was fighting against something else until 6/10ths of my round trip. Brakes were rubbing all the way to work and 1/5 of the way home. ARG. I thought I was fat, out of shape, etc.

mtbr member
    Started commuting 5 weeks ago. Bought a SS just for that. Kona Paddy Wagon, installed bullhorn bars, fenders, lights. Put a lot of reflective tape on the bike. Bought myself some good warm cycling clothes to attack the freezing temperatures we have been having in Montreal. 40km round-trip. I hop on my bike around 6.00am. When it's well under the 0 celsius mark, I wear my snowboard helmet.

Terrain is kind of hilly, but not enough to have to get off my bike.

Cheers from Canada,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    28 miles round trip, mostly hilly rural gravel via SE Racing Stout 29er SS. Currently set up at 32 x 16. No racks, no bags- Use Ergon pack to carry clothes/ work stuff. Cold one this AM, whole whoppin 8 degrees F!

Off the back...
    Nobody wanted my Trek 8500 frame, so I sold the fork and built it up with road parts.
    Frame: Trek 8500
    Fork: Winwood carbon CX
    Wheels:
    [ice] Woodman disc hubs laced to Sun CR18 700C rims with Schwalbe Snow Stud 38C tires
    [not ice] Hope Pro II disc hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims with Continental Ultra Gatorskin 25C tires
    Brakes: Dia-Comp levers, Avid BB7 Road calipers, 160mm rotors, full-length housing
    Bars: cheap ass 46cm "wing" drops
    Stem: 110mm 3TTT
    Seating: Thomson post, Specialized saddle
    Drivetrain: Sugino crank, UN54 BB, Black Spire 53T ring, SRAM PC18 chain, Surly 18T splined cog, Spot spacer kit, XT pedals, no tensioner [magic gear]
    Misc: DIY LED lights [600+ lumens], Mt. Zefal clip-on rear fender

My daily commute is short and fast. The 53x18 is the biggest gear I can currently handle on the hills heading back to my house [max 16% grade]. I don't go to an easier gear in the winter because I'm really lazy. I rode a 50x17 last year, but needed a little more top end to deal with traffic downtown, hence the change. Over the x-mas break I am going to install a narrower 44cm bar and improve the lights.

mtbr member
    now that school is over i'll be riding to work again and i'm waiting on my light to come in so i can ride home at night.. riding a dawes sst 44-16 with only mods being tires, saddle and drop bars/brake levers.. round trip its about 52 miles and pretty fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I commute 4 days a week. Mostly flat, but some hills when I ride around town. Probably do 70-100 miles per week. Specialized Hardrock 36/13 in the winter, and an old SR road bike 44/16 in the summer.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast