blet drive

Specialized Turbo.. woooo

Man is this a fun bike as I rode it home from work and it cut my comutte home in half.. this bike is way fun..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member

RE: Specialized Turbo.. woooo

Rode one at a demo last weekend might be the most fun on two wheels, scary fast
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    I'm curious to see how this does. I understand dorky, utilitarian ebikes, but I'm not sure that I understand an ebike that's supposed to be "FAST!!!!" and "sexy". It'll be interesting to see where this goes, but I don't really see a performance ebike becoming a status object like big S seems to want this to be.

(which isn't to say the bike is good or bad - I just find specialized's marketing a little weird)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This will be the next big thing in bikes. Combine increasing gas prices and people's reluctance to ride or commute due to effort, hills, etc., and this kind of bike will be a winner.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    How did you get to ride it? Did you buy one? Do you work in a shop?

I guess if they become popular we'll have to deal with e-bike salmon coming at us at 27.9mph. (No license, no insurance, not even any biking experience required) It would be a fun option and I'd love to try one. They sound fun.

mtbr member
    ^^ Or overtaking us as a cager is trying to overtake them.

blet drive
    I got to demo one for the night

MTB, Road, Commuting
    So are you going to take the plunge and drop $6K

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Follow-up question for everybody: would you go for an electric assist? At what price point?

If I could run my whole commute pegged at 27 MPH that'd cut my time considerably, especially in when I'm not performing well. I'd probably consider it at no more than 2k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds like cheating to me.

mtbr member
    Indiana limits speeds of Mopeds and assisted bikes to 25 mph. Human powered vehicles have no such limit. There are two fun videos here:

Velomobiles | Practical and Performance Personal Transport – Cycling without steroids

About $7,000 new base and $12,000 with all options and big motor and battery pack. Some offer regenerative braking (for those grades where you would exceed the speed limit you can recoup the battery charge for the next climb).

Of course you can add a motor and battery to climb that last hill into town at 25 mph. Something the BMW crowd might be interested in with premium gas in the mid $4 range. No single track on the way home, though and hard to split lanes in NY.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Follow-up question for everybody: would you go for an electric assist? At what price point?

If I could run my whole commute pegged at 27 MPH that'd cut my time considerably, especially in when I'm not performing well. I'd probably consider it at no more than 2k.
    No, I don't really bikecommute to cut time, I enjoy that time. And at $5900 I wouldn't want to leave it at a bike rack at work either, you would need to have a job where you have secure bike parking. You couldn't use it for things like errands or going to the movies either (without worrying).

Of course my car only cost $7000, so I'm probably not the target demographic.

mtbr member
    I think the future of ebikes is maybe something like:

"So you've come into the shop looking for a bike, but you haven't ridden one in a few decades? Well how about this nice hybrid for $1000? And for an extra $500 you can get the ebike premium package which really helps with hills and windy days."

I still wouldn't be interested - at least not for another few decades, or until my commute becomes 10x further. But I think that makes more sense than trying to sell people ebike Ferraris.

weirdo
    I looked into them a while ago. The combination of crappy range with cheap (< $500) batteries and nearly as crappy range with expensive batteries led me to look at ICE assist instead. I still decided it wouldn`t be worth it for my situation, but would sure love to play with one. You know they make clean (-ish) and quiet 4-strokes down to like 20cc?
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I guess if they become popular we'll have to deal with e-bike salmon coming at us at 27.9mph. (No license, no insurance, not even any biking experience required)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Or overtaking us as a cager is trying to overtake them.
    A lovely thought there. I can see it now.
    Recalculating....

blet drive
    Yes it is Kinda steep on price but man is it fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I think the future of ebikes is maybe something like:

"So you've come into the shop looking for a bike, but you haven't ridden one in a few decades? Well how about this nice hybrid for $1000? And for an extra $500 you can get the ebike premium package which really helps with hills and windy days."

I still wouldn't be interested - at least not for another few decades, or until my commute becomes 10x further. But I think that makes more sense than trying to sell people ebike Ferraris.
    You've never had days where you sat in your office 3 hours after you were supposed to leave because you just did not want to face the ride home? I know I have, due to illness or lack of sleep.

I do agree that a cheap(er) aftermarket system would probably sell way better than a $5900 fancy-pants e-bike.

Moderator Moderator
    You've never had days where you sat in your office 3 hours after you were supposed to leave because you just did not want to face the ride home? I know I have, due to illness or lack of sleep.

Yikes- no! Although we have pretty generous sick leave that I rarely use, so I would probably stay home.

We do have a guaranteed ride home program which can be used by cyclists, carpoolers, bus-riders etc. if illness or emergency comes up. I just re-signed up, and they have upped the reimbursement to $70 up to 6 times a year, which can be used to cover a taxi or rental car. I have never taken advantage of it, but its nice to know it's there.

Moderator Moderator
    Interesting that the NY Times put this in the Automobilesection:
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...er-like-speed/

mtbr member
    ^^ I wondered how they got around the US speed limitation issue. Power assist only. Neat. The security at destination is critical for a $6000 bike.

mtbr member
    I like what the author says - it's a scooter that you can lug up the stairs, put on your roof rack (I'm not sure why you would), or lock in a bike rack (I'm really not sure why you would). And it would be great for long commutes.

But the specialized marketing-speak still makes me want to barf: “Everything was based on this idea that we’re cyclists, we want to go fast, we want to have the wind in our ears and we don’t want to hear the motor.” If I were in the market for this I would specifically buy something other than the Turbo because douchiness is apparently so central to it.