mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Specialized Globe Vienna

Hiya,

I want to start commuting to work and I'm looking for a bike to do it. I have been shopping around the bike stores lately looking for an inexpensive bike to ride and I came across this.

It has a stylish look to it but my ride is 16 miles one way and I don't know if it'll hold up on the long haul.

I can get this for about 400 bucks which is about the max my wife will let me spend considering I bought a new Paragon last season.

Any thoughts on this? or suggestions for a similarly priced commuter?

thanks

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    it's a pretty solid bike(i work for a spec dealer, fyi), but for that long of a commute i'd want something a bit more road bike-ish, but if you're comfortable riding the thing that far, it'll hold up fine, we've have very few problems with them. i will caution you that the rims aren't super beefy, so if you ride rough roads, are a bigger person, or plan on carrying a good bit of weight (panniers, etc) you might want to be prepared to upgrade later, or just buy the step up model. but the bike rides really well with a rack and some bags on there if that's your thing. our shop has a bright green one for shop errand running and it's great.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I will agree with markf and will add only that you might also want to take a look at the Sirrus series since you have a long ride. They are more or less a road bike with a fat bar and ride very well. Might be worth saving up the extra 100 for it.