mtbr member
    Apr 2007

specialized globe

i found 1 of these locally for 150 bux and im wondering if it is a good platform to build on. i know they will take discs, and all i need is a wheelset cuz i have the extras parts from other 26ers. ...i cannot find much on them other than they will take a 29er wheelset, and they can mount racks and fenders. ....other than that, it looks like a decent commuter and for 150 can i really go wrong? ...ive been riding my sette reken ss with wtb velociraptors for 2 weeks now and the hill cllimb is killing me! besides, i want to keep that for off road.

i want to ride full time and turn in my motorcycle or car in the next few months (maybe both) but i want to have a decent commuter with a good engine before i do.

what do you think? pull the trigger?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    anyone? i bought the bike. it is in fantastic condition. ....i have mt slx crankset on order and will turn it into a 1x8. ...can anyone recommend a 29er rigid disc fork or road disc fork that wont break the bank? there are no disc bossesfront or rear. ...and i rode it today. ...smooth, but i do need the disc on the front, the hills are too steep to not have one.

im still wondering about anyones experiences with this bike. ...care to chime in?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by droolmonkey
    anyone?
    Looks like that`s a "No". Sorry, DM. Anyway, like you said- you can`t go too far wrong for $150. Even if it were a one hundred percent lemon (and I doubt it`s any kind of lemon), you would only be out $150. So did you buy a whole used bike for that? A frameset? Some places sound like you`re talking about a complete bike, other places confuse me.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    hahaha i laughed! i think thats a no as well. its a complete bike. ...and for what i paid, i think i ripped that guy off! but he only wanted 150 dollars so..

anyone want to trade a al rim brake fork for an al disc mount fork? 1 1/8" threadless. ...i will have pics as i go. ...just gotta figure out how to put them up here.

so far i put some lockon grips, replaced the front brake/shift pod with an sd-7 lever and removed the front derailleur on top of a good bath and tune up. i will ride it as is till my parts come in the next week or 2.

next will be the slx single speed crankset, h bars, or touring bars (i cant decide), and a sram x-5 rear d. when all is said and done, i will have a decent commuter for under $300. ....i think i got lucky on this one.

weirdo
    Yeah, it does sound like you`re going to end up with a lot of bike for your money. I`m a big fan of buying used too.

Posting pictures:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=69423
    This is from rbr, but 100% exactly the same as mtbr. He did an excellent explanation complete with screenshots- you just need to do a free registration over there to see the screenshots.
    Recalculating....

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pimping bikes is fun, but IMO all that's really necessary for a commuter is a bike that goes, stops and shifts. It sounds like you've got most of that. I would try to put the brakes on bolting money to it, except to fix things that have actual mechanical problems. (Also, which Globe is it, exactly? I think there are about five...)

It sounds like it's a 29er? Do you need a suspension-corrected fork or one with shorter blades? There are a few kicking around there - Kona P2, Surly Karate Monkey, Niner, of course, makes a few, there's some carbon ones on EBay, etc... It really depends on what you want to spend. (I'd probably do the Kona or Surly, because I don't like to bolt much money to my commuters.) Try to get one with fender eyelets. Fender stays are quite malleable, so a disc brake doesn't really interfere with using the ones with the stays that bolt to the dropout, and I think those fenders are more stable.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    My friend has a Globe and it's a nice, easy-riding bike. Pretty light too for a cheaper model, it will serve you well as a commuter. After 1 month of commuting, I ended up selling my second car and pocketing $6500. I took some of that money and bought a nice rain jacket, pants, and waterproof gloves. I commute year-round and am glad I sold my car since now there is no temptation to drive. I found it to be a good, healthy lifestyle change.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hi droolmonkey, wish i'd seen this thread sooner, maybe i could've been some help. i recently bought my 1st road bike in years for commuting & shopped globes since i am a specialized devotee. for $150 you got a bargain.
    which globe did you get? i was looking at the roll which is their most common bike but it is a singlespeed & you say you took a derailler off yours?
    you know, you shouldn't really need discs on a commuter but if you gotta have em, kona does make their p2 fork in 700c, with disc tabs for only about $60-70.
    have fun...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    wow, thanks for the replies and input! ...its just called the globe. no other names except that. ...it has a flat top tube.

i have to climband descend a lot of hills, and the v brake is just not enough. ....i dont mind the one in the back cause i can just trail brake, but i need a disc up front. ...ive got a bb5 that will do just fine already, so its just a matter of the fork.

as far as the fork, im not sure yet, ive only ever built mtn bikes. i dont think i need a sus corrected fork. ...the one thats on there is pretty though! lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My parents and sister each have one of these bikes, although it was the year before Specialized branded the bike as "Globe". They are great for commuting. Fast, relaxed, and fun. My parents just putt around the park, and my sister rides rails to trails and logs pretty high mileage. Congrats on the bike. Don't worry about upgrading unless it really needs it. Why not put your upgrade money in a fund for gear of another bike with a different function!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ive already got my other bike built how i like it! i love this bike. it just gets no top end for commuting and if i gear it higher, i cant climb.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The mention of the 29er wheelset confused me - I was envisioning something a little more like a Karate Monkey.

A wide-clearance 700C fork should do it. A cyclocross fork with a disc mount springs to mind. Redline makes one. I think there's a Kona P2 for that as well... Salsa offers their forks separately, I think, and they have a couple of disc road bikes. A suspension-corrected fork for a 26" wheel might work too. You really need to measure the axle-crown height of what you have, as that's the number you should try to match to maintain similar handling. Rake is also important, but less so.

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with the V-brakes, though. I didn't find mechanical discs to be better unless the trail was wet. V-brakes, like disc brakes or almost everything else on a bike, do need to be tuned properly to work. So you might look at that before you start throwing tons of money at a fork, new wheel, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i always park my bike inside, and dont mind riding 3-400 dollars worth of machine around. hell i ride and leave a $10,000 motorcycle outside and in the rain, so a bike worth $350 isnt going to cause any stress.

they are 29er wheels with 700cx35 tires on there. ...the rear mount is 135mm and the fronts are 100mm so for all intents and purposes, its a 29er bastardized.

ive decided to keep my car at least till next summer and im selling the motorcycle. just because i cannot commit to riding in the rain and cold of southern california as yet. i mean the 5 or 6 days of driving due to rain wont be so bad especially since i drove over 130 miles a day every day just a month and a half ago!

TBH switch, i just want a reason to buy the parts i need to build a 29er rigid ht to mash around with offroad, and if the parts are going to save me money in gas, brake pads, maintenance, insurance, tires, and $1000+ riding gear, while serving dual duty at least in the beginning as a method of transportation. ... i can justify it.

im trying to trick myself into buying what i need to build what i want

i put a 150mm stem on her today. ...much better cockpit feel now. cant wait for the lighter forks. ...exotic al i think sus corrected for a 26er with 80-100mm of travel. ...425 axle to crown height. that makes it just right for what ive got here. and when i switch over, i can put the rigid on a 26" trail bike just for shits and giggles (and hill training)...and i decided on some hussefelts 1.1 ss cranks instead of the slx. ..theyre only 45 bux delivered, so i saved about 50 bux there.

codwater, what extremes has your sis taken that bike? ...what sort of trails will it handle?

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're going to take it off-road, maybe you should get some 29er wheels sooner rather than later. How much tire clearance do you have?

I'll be curious to see how this one evolves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i wont take this thing offroad, it will just be my test subject for parts, and transportation for now. when all of the parts amass, i will pull the trigger on a proper frame,and build up an offroad 29er rigid, build another sette reken rigid, and put this bike back together as the commuter it was, and do it all over again! i just like buildign and testing ****. ...besides, i like riding with other people, but have yet to meet anyone that has the equipment to ride with me, so the more bikes i have the more my friends and family will ride too!

and i get to learn all about the nuances of bike building, mechanicing, and the little tricks that make it so i can just do **** without having to think really hard about it and eff it all up 3 or 4 times when i really just need to fix it. ...just like a test facility in my own garage. ..come to think of it, i do that with computers also. ...and cars, and motorcycles, and snowboarding, and kite surfing, and just about anything else that has some sort of mechanical or electrical feature. ....**** im in trouble now!