mtbr member

So, When Do You Ditch The Studs?

I'm dying to put my road tires back on my CrossCheck, and I think I may do it tomorrow. With highs hovering around 40 degrees, I'm hoping there won't be too much ice hangin' around.

When do you typically re-install your non-studded tires?

Here's my Surly waiting for summer...

Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I try to wait until the threat of black ice and slick morning frost is over. One broken elbow would really wreak havoc with my life. But I know that feeling of wanting my regular tires back!

mtbr member
    I didn't have time to change to road tires at the shop today... BUT on my ride home, there was ice everywhere... I guess i'll wait a while to take off the studs.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    We were in the 50's on Saturday, and the forecast is for the 60's for most of the week. After riding the studs for two weeks I was happy to take them off for even a few days. We'll see what next week brings, but at this time my bike is quiet ride. I figure the studs will bring their unforgettable hum back before long.

mtbr member
    In the 40's for the past few days. Back down to -15F again by wednesday and for the rest of the week. Studs are going to be on for awhile yet...

(they'll probably stay on the winterbike until may, as a backup. But I'll break out the non-studded bikes before then)

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    I'm dying to put my road tires back on my CrossCheck, and I think I may do it tomorrow. With highs hovering around 40 degrees, I'm hoping there won't be too much ice hangin' around.

When do you typically re-install your non-studded tires?
    I took off my studs when the weather started averaging above freezing.

This is my first Winter cycling and I've noticed when the temps are at, or above, 32*f most of the junk melts.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Another Retro Grouch
    Taking the studs off in Ann Arbor in Feb!?!?! When it snows again we'll know who to blame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    April usually

mtbr member
    I try to keep out of the ditch whichever tire I'm running... oh.I see the second question now: when to remount regular tires. (Sorry, must have forgotten the medication! )

I suppose if you like swapping tires back and forth, you could do it every warm spell/cold snap. While snow is possible here in April, Mid March usually sees the last of the storms worthy of studs and deeper tread. So the Ides of March are not quite as bad for my studded tires as they were for Ceasar, as I don't usually take a knife to them, so maybe that's why I've never heard them say "Et tu, Brianus".

I can believe its April for changeover in Calgary! Wonder when in Alaska?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Taking the studs off in Ann Arbor in Feb!?!?! When it snows again we'll know who to blame.
    Haha no way! I did give in today and put my road tires back on... Hopefully they can stay on.

Adam
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Haha no way! I did give in today and put my road tires back on... Hopefully they can stay on.

Adam
    Oh man you did it now, all that hope and optimism of Puxatawny Phil's prediction of an early spring just went down the drain.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    When I bought a Fat bike.

Frys With That, Please
    Well, I'm swapping my studded tires back on.

It's snowing like no tomorrow right now !
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by seth586
    When I bought a Fat bike.
    I'm with Seth!!! I've only used the stud bike 2 times this winter season. Fatbike has worked great the other 600 miles so far with no falls! I take the studs off when the snow melts in Anchorage! ;p

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    ...annnd my shot of irony:

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Old man winter has taken up residence in Montana. We have had 80" snow so far. Avg is about 38" for an entire winter season. I rode a single speed without studs last weekend. Felt so good. 8" new snow. More in the forecast.

mtbr member
    Well they mount and dismount tires, don't they?

Dang! But you guys are about to be clobbered! We drop from wild 60's to more like it 40's and the snow and subfreeezing is riding North of us. I attribute this good bit of luck to finally buying and mounting chains on my JD 445 with 54" blade. (All dressed up and no place to plow.) The Ag tires and weights weren't enough this winter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    -30 C without the wind chill forecast for this week.....

Look out it is coming your way too.

Moderator Moderator
    I think last year I took them off to ride indoors in late February, sprained my ankle & didn't ride a couple weeks, and then when I started easy rides I didn't need the studs. But over the last week we've had a 56F record high and lows in the minus single digits, so I think it will be bouncing around for a while and the studs will stay on longer.

Moderator Moderator
    Switched from the MTB studded to the cyclocross 4/4/11, but there have been some sketchy days/sections.

Rolling
    When it gets really hot, I yank the studs off my ride....

Last edited by lidarman; 04-08-2011 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here is an interesting jury-rig for you snow riding guys. No need if you already have studs.

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dut...Snowpocalypse/