mtbr member

So ive got the weekend to decide on tires

My lovely monocog is in the lbs for the weekend getting new brake lines and having the tires trued, on Tuesday however I am ordering a new set of tires to set things up for commuting. As of now a set of 2" big apples are on order, but i was thinking about getting a hybrid tire instead to accomodate some trail riding. Does anyone have any suggestions? also, would it be better to go with the wider big apples?? I am confused about what to do thanks for the help! also can I add a tomicog to my stock hub?
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. SS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i rode the big apple 2.35" a while. great tire. switched for the marathon supreme cause i am a tire whore.
    i use the marathon supreme 2.0" for 4500km now. without any breakdown.

mtbr member
    what would be the major diferences between a 2 and 2.3 tire? thanks!
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. SS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    2: lighter, faster acceleration than the 2.35"
    2.3: heavier, not so fast acceleration, better dampening, less rolling resistance, looks better in mtbs,

if you do some trail rides and want a low rolling resistance tire for the street:

try the schwalbe smart sam or the schwalbe table top. both offer low rolling resistance and some grip.
    i personally rode the table top 2.25 in the rear and a smart sam 2.25 in the front for a while for touring on firetrails.