Fat!Drunk!Slow!

Snowy Commute Ride Home

This morning I went to work via bicycle. It was a crisp clear 15 degrees f.

Around noon it started to lightly snow. Watching the snow fall while at work, I wondered how much would fall by works end. Work had about 2 inches of snow around 1530. The trails had become technical on the way home and the snow keep getting deeper.

On my final leg home, the snow was 3 inches deep. The path was becoming slow and I was covered in snow.

I finally made it home to find my wife laughing at me. I can't wait for tomorrow's commute!

Click 4 full size images!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Way to be hard, man!! Keep it up!

BTW...what tires are you running and how are they working out for you in the snow? I went riding in the woods near here last Thursday. The snow was 7-8" deep and it was all I could do to stay upright. The tires on that bike are Continental Mountain King 2.4".

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Any amount more then 4 or 5 inches and it's just about impossible. Nokian 294 29er.

My new rule says if my feet hit the snow on the lowest rotation of my crank arms, it's too deep!

It's time 4 a fatbike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I'm glad it's not just me that struggles in snow. A buddy and I rode the same loop three times over about 2 hours. About a third was singletrack and the rest was fire roads. Whenever you came out of the trees and the snow was deepest...it was stupid how hard it was to keep from falling. Your back tire would choose some crazy, unpredictable direction to slide out and your front would pitch and you'd have to correct. I didn't eat it once, though! I figured out that sliding waaaay back on my seat and getting the weight off the front wheel kept it from pushing sideways. This made it manageable.

What's a "fatbike"? Speaking of which...whatever happened to the Hannebrink bikes with the huge ATV-like fat tires? Those bikes were really odd but strangely appealing.

Edit: found em...http://www.hanebrink.net/

weirdo
    Fat bikes? Maybe Pugsly kinda stuff?
    Nice pics, Jordy. It looks like fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Pugsley and it is a lot better in the snow than a mountain bike, but I can't pedal through snow much deeper than the bottom of the pedals, which is at about 5". The difference is that I'm floating over a few more inches beneath that. But the gearing is 22/34 just to keep it going. Riding through fresh snow on the road like this is easy with even a road bike. It cuts right through. Turning sucks on any bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yo Jordy! What kinda of camera are toting in that weather?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Just a Canon Powershot P&S. It's kinda big for my likes but anything works really as long as you keep it dry.