mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Snow Mobile Trails?

I was up in Minneapolis for work a couple of weeks ago, and as I travelled into the office I saw a lot of makred snow mobile trails. For those in the northern climate, do those turn into bike trails in the warmer months?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    snow mobile trails rock for riding. Especially night riding, reflection off the snow just lights up everything. Best if it's been warm then frozen. They turn rock hard, stay grippy, and you can just fly. Watch for soft spots; you can go from seated to superman in an instant. They are fun when it's just packed dry snow too. More work, but still a blast.

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, I have some right behind ny house in VT that I MTB on. Some don't get much traffic and the high grass can get tiresome by later in the season, but I like them early on. Here, there is only officially access granted in winter by the private property owners, but I find most are not concerned about MTBs, they just don't want dirt bikes and ATVs tearing things up. I just go and try to be friendly to anyone I meet, but I have never been asked to leave. Another issue that I ran into more in ME was that the snowmo trails often cross lakes or wetlands that become a dead end for a bike when things thaw out, unless there is a camp road or something going around the lake. You might want to try to look for a trail map now as they can become scarce in summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool. Thanks for the responses. I really like the Minneapolis area, and I have been thinking about looking for my next job in that area. Either there for the big companies they headquartered there, Arkansas for the Ozarks, or North Carolina for the Black Mountains. Hmmmmm what is more important for me mountain biking or providing for my family!

One Colorful Rider
    Some of the Snowmobile trails are Gravel trails underneath snow
    January 007

And some are not used till the Next Season
    January 016

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info and the pics. It is much apreciated.