Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    blet drive

Upset Slapped by a car Mirror

So let me start by saying I was wrong. I commute 24 miles a day. Some of my streets are on the busy side, so I am light up like a Christmas tree. Tonight on my way home a car got really close to me and hit me with it's car mirror I swerved into a pot hole. I had my water bottle in hand and with out thinking I reacted and threw it at the car. Thwap it made contact. The car stopped like I thought it would. Woop Woop the lights came on it was an unmarked cop car. Oh boy. We exchanged words and we went on our ways. I called the local
    Pd and told them what had happened and there responce was to stay out of the road as we are not a bike committing city. Thanks pd for nothing.
    Word to the wise don't throw your bottle at cars.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    I have done that. With a moron in a pickup who pulled alongside then hit his horn, not getting on with passing me in a blind corner. He was upset with me taking my lane. He pulled up further down the road, as I U turned and picked up my bottle. Either he was in a big hurry or he thought better of confronting me. He wasn't big. Just as well. I was coming home from a habitat build. Had about 30 pounds of carpentry tools aboard the Schwinn. I might have hammered home my point.

I assume the two of you agreed to disagree and both left unsatisfied. At least he didn't fake a charge of disturbing the peace.

Moderator Moderator
    That must have been a shocker when the lights went on! While you may have been in a better position if you hadn't reacted that way, they were wrong to hit you. You might consider filing a report, just for the record...if they hit someone next week, it could make a difference.

blet drive
    I was going to until they told me that I would more than like be charged with assault.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    I called the local Pd and told them what had happened and there responce was to stay out of the road as we are not a bike committing city.
    Any chance you got that call recorded? That needs to go to the local news station.

The Fastest of Bananas
    The Cop assaulted you with his car.

Hitting you with a car > throwing a water bottle.

He scared you into keeping your mouth shut and the local PD backed him up. Thats ********. He was a split second of distraction away from seriously hurting you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    100%, call the local news. Unbelievable behavior from your local PD (all members thereof). Did you make a note of some way to identify the officer in question?

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    The Cop assaulted you with his car.

Hitting you with a car > throwing a water bottle.

He scared you into keeping your mouth shut and the local PD backed him up. Thats ********. He was a split second of distraction away from seriously hurting you.
    Agreed. Total douchebag move by the cop who hit you AND the dispatcher. I'd call the officer's intimidation bluff and file the report. You didn't damage ANYTHING with your pliable plastic water bottle, but you damn well got his attention. On the positive side, you know it was an unmarked cop who hit you. If you hadn't tossed the bottle, you'd most likely not have been able to remember the plate number long enough to record it (I wouldn't have) anyway. He might file some kind of assault charge, which might get you into court. I have my doubts that it would stick, given there'd be an incident report that the cop HIT YOU WITH HIS CAR first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're not gonna win. It's his words against yours, and you being a mortal will not win. He is above the law, he IS the law (in Dredd's voice). Even if he plowed into you and ran you over a few times then left the scene, he would still win. Sounds sarcastic, but most likely is true.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    My lawyer said if ANY car ever as much as even touches you.....it's a potential $5,000 cash award.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You just can't expect to receive fair/decent treatment from cops. In my town, they likely would have shot you. Repeatedly. We're not 'bicycle commuter' friendly city either, no matter what the C.O C. says in the brochure.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    You go ahead and file a report....thats is assault with a deadly weapon....if U hadn't thrown the bottle, he may have not know that he hit U. I had a dually truck hit me with his mirror and I caught him two miles down the road, at a light...he had no ideal that he had hit me...

blet drive
    The hole thing more of stunned me. The local pd did there job in backing one another. The phone call with the local pd was recorded. The dispatcher even told me I should ride on the sidewalk as we don't have a place or right to be in the road. I now ride with a carton off eggs on my handle bars. . Oh he joys of ridding. Good thing I'm mountain biking today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would file the report for assault, they may be able to get you for damaging police properly with the water bottle, probably not.

Also look up your state laws about bike riding, quality ammo is always good.

blet drive
    this is what the law says.

Bike Law | MassBike

blet drive
    oh well

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    this is what the law says.

Bike Law | MassBike
    Of course the police were clearly wrong, but they sound like they are gonna fight you all the way.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

blet drive
    agreed, that's why I let it go with them just had to get it off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Of course the police were clearly wrong, but they sound like they are gonna fight you all the way.

agreed, that's why I let it go with them just had to get it off my chest
    I am not that way. I would take my licks if absolutely necessary, but I would make it a point to hold them accountable for their behavior. think about it, if you had not tossed that bottle, it would have essentially been a hit and run by that cop. They DON'T want that suit, for sure.

FKA Malibu412
    Yes but how do you prove it? No bruises, no video. Witnesses? It's his word against the LEO's. He called the PD. Maybe a higher up will have a conversation with the LEO, maybe not.

Move on.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

weirdo
    That`s just f*ked, JungleKids. I can`t believe the dispatcher told you you shouldn`t have been playing in the street! I dunno what I`d do, personally. Though I`d be tempted to push the issue (hit and run definitely weighs heavier than plastic bottle hucking in my book), I tend to think The-One1 is right in that your word won`t stand up against the cop`s. Anyway, sorry to hear it and I hope you keep us posted if it it turns out to not be over yet.
    Recalculating....

Any chance the cop's dash cam was running at the time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A classic case of deflecting responsibility by public servants.

mtbr member
    If backing down will get you more of the same from the cops, you will need to respond.

I wonder about a video, too. Freedom of Information might get that but a reporter or lawyer might have the best luck.

I wonder if a polite letter to the chief saying that you had the conversation with a dispatcher (btw write it out as best your remember both conversations and date them) who clearly gave you advice not in accordance with state law and include a copy of what you posted, and say that you leave it in his/her capable hands to address the dispatchers lack of knowledge. Discipline is the chief's job. Hopefully taht is that last you will hear of it.

blet drive
    I don't know if there were dash cams or not. But a letter might not be a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast