Baby Bear is in the house

New question here. skate-style lids for commuting

Hi all.

What are your thoughts on using skate-style helmets for commuting? Too hot?

I'm digging the new Fox Transition. Seems much better ventilated than other skate-style lids I've seen, and offers more coverage than your regular MTB helmet. And the price is nice too

Note: my commute to work is only about 6km each way.

TIA
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    They are a little warmer, but they make you feel more protected. I think the trade off is worth it.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    I won't wear anything except skate style helmets (apart from my full face). Mine's a TSG Evolution and it's the third hard shell helmet I've owned in the last 6 years. I decided to start wearing hard shell helmets instead of microshells simply because I feel safer wearing one. It protects the back of my head much better than a microshell, it's very smooth so there are no snag points to catch if I fall and it just feels a lot more solid than a microshell. It's a little hotter, but I can still wear it for 6 hours solid in Summer and not worry about it, and as soon as I put it on I immediately feel like I'm wearing something that really will protect me properly if I fall, which is good because safe and protected is exactly how I want to feel when I put my helmet on. It looks cool as well!

I think it's a good choice. Go for it!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Get one with he speakers built in...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use one in cooler weather, but in the summer I use an MTB helmet since it's vented and has a visor (nice for riding into the early morning sun).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Some of the new Giro Helmets for MTB are similar in style to skate helmets but offer better ventilation while providing more coverage. I just ordered a Xen and the Hex also looks like it would cover the back of your head a bit more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD
    Some of the new Giro Helmets for MTB are similar in style to skate helmets but offer better ventilation while providing more coverage. I just ordered a Xen and the Hex also looks like it would cover the back of your head a bit more.
    Yeah actually the Hex is the one I have. It doesn't come quite as far down in the back as the Xen, but it's light and comfortable, and has an adjustable visor.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man, if you are looking for protection, do it right.... Doesn't matter if your brains are intact if your money maker is bent out of shape.