Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Is Sidewalk Use Illegal?

There are a few streets in my area where there are super tight right lanes (where people tend to travel 50+) pinched in by a rather tall curb that just makes it seem suicidal to ride there. On the other side of the street is a sidewalk that is calm and relaxing to ride with almost no pedestrian traffic. Is this something I can get a ticket for? If it's a city by city issue is there a place to check if Burbank, CA or Los Angeles makes this illegal?

Thanks for any help,
    Ryan

knock-knock...
    Dunno about cali, but a lot of places it is. You could point out that you would die if you took your lane to a cop probably. It might be good to complain to the city about a dangerous are for cyclists. Who knows, something good might happen.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    I read a lot about this and tried hard to get an answer for you. What I am finding is that every city is different and that there are certain areas of the city that are different. Some cities say you must walk your bike on sidewalks due to the fact that your bike is an actual vehicle and has to abide by vehicle laws... I read an article that parts of LA are getting rid of that law and states that peds must share the sidewalks with cyclists. I hardly doubt a cop would actually give you a ticket for safely riding your bike on the sidewalk instead of riding on a dangerous roadway. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it but if you are, call your local PD and let them know your concerns. By the way Ca. State Bike Code doesn't state anything about riding on sidewalks. Sounds like it is up to each city.....good luck!
    What are you doing reading this? Go out and RIDE!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    True, each city has their own ordinance regarding sidewalk use of bikes. In my town, I got hit by a car coming out of the sidewalk. The insurance adjuster docked my settlement by 10% because I was not using the road instead. I tried to contest this- but when the police report verified I indeed used the sidewalk...I was 10% partially at-fault, according to the city laws.

In most cities, a bicycle is considered a vehicle- to be used on roads, just like a moped should be used.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

local trails rider
    That is one thing that I find baffling about USA: every state, city, part of a city has different laws. How CAN you know what the law is in every location you happen to pass by?

Where I live, the places where you can/must ride on the sidewalk are marked with traffic signs with a bike on them. This is the most common one:

I suppose a police officer may let common sence prevail if going against the letter of the law is dangerous. Maybe.

mtbr member
    They don't make it easy Pert...that's for sure.

mtbr member
    I have the same situation- In my city, bikes are only allowed on the streets but in one part of town there is a "bottleneck" of sorts that forces me to ride next to 50 MPH traffic with no shoulder- I generally dont like those odds, so for a short distance I break the law and ride down the sidewalk as long as there are no pedestrians coming. My logic behind this is that bicycle tickets in my city are 5$, so that is far cheaper than a hospital bill or funeral from getting plowed.

I also would use the opportunity (if I got a ticket) to really start complaining about the layout of the town and how unfriendly it is to bikers to try and get out on the east side. Truth be told, I think that most cops would be pretty sympathetic to my plight if they did pull me over or make an issue about it but who knows.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

LCI #1853
    State law is usually silent about using sidewalks, leaving these facilities to the control of the local communities. For example, here in Arkansas there is no statewide law that you can't ride on sidewalks -- and neither is there a rule that you can't drive your car on the sidewalks, either... it's up to the local city councils to regulate this.

As a general rule of thumb, most cities ban bicycle riding on sidewalks in the downtown area, the commercial or business district, or sometimes within a specific bounded area. It's usually legal to ride sidewalks in residential areas. In all cases when you're on the sidewalk, pedestrians have the right of way no matter how erratic they may be and if you should run over or hit one, it's your fault and your azz.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    [SIZE="1"](with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Upset

Not too long ago i was pulled over by some detective, probably having a bad day. I was riding what seemed to be an endless wheely, he flashed his lights and siren so i figured as usuall he must be a fan. I assure you he was not! instead he pulled his car in front of me and rolled down his window and said "how would you like it if i impounded that expensive bike till your court date and write you a nice little ticket?" and i was like "oh yah! shows what you know, this bike is a piece of ****. How would you like it if i impounded your FACE!!!! your asking yourself "really?" no not really, i tucked my tail between my legs and said im sorry it wont happen again. it was crazy, i felt like i was 13 again getting kicked out of the mall for being a kid.

weirdo
    Learjet, you can see it`s different all over and there are often cases where even the cops that have jurisdiction over whatever area don`t understand exactly how things are supposed to work. My suggestion for a solid answer would be to ask a local cyling advocacy group if they have any confirmable information. In a big metro area like SOCAL, there are probably some groups dedicated to cyling saftey. Ask around at bike shops and they ought to be able to point you in the right direction. In the meantime, I agree with the suggestion to watch your hide in prefference to avoiding tickets- I`d likely take to the sidewalk and hope to not get cited for it.

Perttime, yeah it`s crazy. I wish it were as simple as in Europe.

MTT
    mtbr member
    I do occasionally use sidewalks, if the road feels unsafe, but I am usually going slow and I give people walking plenty of room (as they have the right of way, and are unpredictable).

One important thing to keep in mind- if you use the sidewalk BE VERY CAREFUL when you cross at an intersections. Cars are not looking for you, and statistically, your chances of getting hit are much higher than if you were on the road with the cars............MTT

mtbr member
    I grew up in a small town in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass). Most everywhere you could ride your bike on the sidewalk. However, the downtown business owners got together and made it illegal to ride your bikes / skateboards on the sidewalks. The city even spent money spray painting the corner of every downtown block to state that it was prohibited to ride on these particular sidewalks. I think that this was more of a ploy to detour loitering since no one really uses the sidewalks to begin with.

THEN, I move to Portland, OR (a friendly biking community). At first I just drove my car, but then once that got totaled, I became a rider again. Portland has established numerous websites and reference material on biking in the city.

Essentially it's legal (although not preferred) for a rider to bike on the sidewalks. There are some provisions. The rider has to give way to walking pedestrians -AND- must ride at a "reasonable walking pace."

Moral of the story, check with your city. They could be bike friendly, or mark off certain areas where you much use the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT

One important thing to keep in mind- if you use the sidewalk BE VERY CAREFUL when you cross at an intersections. Cars are not looking for you, and statistically, your chances of getting hit are much higher than if you were on the road with the cars............MTT
    EXCELLENT point!! You are much more likely to get waxed in an intersection if you use sidewalks.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    That is one thing that I find baffling about USA: every state, city, part of a city has different laws. How CAN you know what the law is in every location you happen to pass by?

Where I live, the places where you can/must ride on the sidewalk are marked with traffic signs with a bike on them. This is the most common one:

I suppose a police officer may let common sence prevail if going against the letter of the law is dangerous. Maybe.
    We call it federalism. And believe me, its a very good thing for states and localities to make their own laws. I don't want the knuckleheads from the puzzle palace in Washngton D.C. deciding if its safe or not for cyclists to use the sidewalk in my town. I'd rather that be a local decision made by people who know the area. And if those people make a bad decision, its a lot easier for the citizens to fix it at a city council meeting (or equivelent), than have to deal with the national government.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    I don't want the knuckleheads from the puzzle palace in Washngton D.C. deciding if its safe or not for cyclists to use the sidewalk in my town.
    Oh the knuckleheads in the capital don't decide that here either. The knuckleheads of the town still decide whether they put up the bike signs or not. At least there is a consistent way to know where you should ride.

... there is another law too: if bikes are allowed, the town has to take care of the routine maintenance of the sidewalk. If bikes are not allowed the properties have to take care of it. Guess what happens to the bike signs downtown, well before snow starts falling...

MTT
    mtbr member
    Ok I finally had some time to look this up (this is for Washington State)..............MTT

RCW 46.61.261
    Sidewalks, crosswalks Pedestrians, bicycles.

The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian or bicycle on a sidewalk. The rider of a bicycle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian on a sidewalk or crosswalk.

[2000 c 85 2; 1975 c 62 41.]

Notes:
    Rules of court: Monetary penalty schedule -- IRLJ 6.2.

Severability -- 1975 c 62: See note following RCW 36.75.010.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    depends where.

but i'd rather catch some heat from the fuzz or a roadie in a banana hammock then be paralyzed for life by an idiot 16 year old texting and veering into the bike lane at 55 mph.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is what happens if you ride your bike on the sidewalk in my neighborhood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jKSz3CJABY

mtbr member
    That video pisses me off...that stupid ass got pissed because he sprayed himself in the face with his pepper spray...Then the punk ass ( I am not going to call him a cop because he is a disgrace to law enforcement) punches a woman on the the ground....what a dick head.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That's law in most states....but the collisions still occur. Nine out of ten times the driver says they "never" saw the rider, or pedestrian. My tip is...when using the sidewalk for any reason- slow down or even stop, when entering the crosswalk. ALWAYS look behind you to see if cars are approaching. I know many cars try to race the biker- only because they know they can beat the bike, making their right turn.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    That's law in most states....but the collisions still occur. Nine out of ten times the driver says they "never" saw the rider, or pedestrian. My tip is...when using the sidewalk for any reason- slow down or even stop, when entering the crosswalk. ALWAYS look behind you to see if cars are approaching. I know many cars try to race the biker- only because they know they can beat the bike, making their right turn.
    that's what they do in gainesville.

i have SS road bike that i don't ride because someone clipped me in the ribs with their rearview mirror.

and kept driving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Upset Yup, I ride the sidewalk too (sometimes).

In my county in Maryland (Montgomery), many times the side lane has been cannibalized to make a turning lane in the middle of the street. In these cases, it makes biking on a busy street dangerous, so I ride the more bumpy sidewalk for miles.

Again, it beats being hit by a guy texting in his car at 50mph.

But on the sidewalk, one must always be on the alert for the car twits doing turns as you cross streets at crosswalks and also the idiots who block the sidewalk as they pull out into traffic.

A 28yr commuter.

mtbr member
    There's a part of my commute where I ride the sidewalk, it is about a 1/4 mile but that road is busy and hectic then I make a right turn onto a quiet road.

The 1/4 mile stretch I did one time on the road, people were coming soo close to me, also got a couple of honks. I just ride the sidewalk now because I don't know how I will act in a confrontation and would just like to avoid it.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If theres usually pedestrians on a stretch of sidewalk, I stay off. Otherwise I will ride it if theres no place in the street thats safe. I've ridden by my own laws since I was 15 with all due respect for pedestrians and the particular situation and circumstances. I suppose thats why the consensus rules and laws vary so much from town to town.

Remember this. . . riding "illegally" on an otherwise empty sidewalk is precisely the same as driving a car at 66mph in a 65 zone on the freeway.

mtbr member
    Check your state laws for sidewalks. In most states it is legal (non-motorized), unless otherwise posted. Remember that pedestrians have the right of way on sidewalks so you should move off the sidewalk to let them pass, or to overtake them. Also, having a bell on your bike is a must when riding on sidewalks. It's not a good idea to startle walkers and/or runners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast