mtbr member

Should i get a commuter wheelset or a new ride?

Hey everyone need some opinions on my situation. I recently built up a verry nice santa cruz blur lt2 and really dont want to build or buy another bike for commuting so im leaning towards getting another set of wheels with some streeet tires (something 1.5 + in size) a cassette and another pair of discs so i dont have to screw around with swaping parts for days i ride into work.

sooooooo any suggestions on tires or wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have Mavic Crossrides on my commuting bike, not too expensive, but still reasonably light and fairly strong. I personally use Continental Contact Securitys in a 1.75" width, build for puncture protection rather than light weight. Tyre choice is fairly personal, although the favourites are always Specialized Nimbus or Schwalbe Marathons! Combine that with some discs and a Deore Cassette and you're good to go!

Wolf nipple chips
    That sounds like a huge pain in the ass for so many different reasons. For the amount of money that you'd drop on all that stuff, you could find an inexpensive commuter bike either used or new. Seriously.

Reasons that having only a set of spare wheels is a BAD choice:

1) Do you really want to go through the extra hassle of swapping out grimy wheels each time you want to go to work? It may not seem like much work, but you'll most likely find it easier to talk yourself out of riding that day because you have to spend that extra time doing it, especially if there is some issue that causes you to have to do extra adjustments each in order to make it work.
    2) Putting extra wear and tear on ALL other parts of your expensive, performance-oriented, nice trail bike (chain, any bearings, brakes, grips, saddle, cables, chainrings, front/rear suspension, frame pivots) when all you need is to get from point A to point B, not for ripping down the trail.
    3) Big, heavy full-suspension mountain bikes SUCK for paved use! Simply putting slick tires on will not compensate for the lower gearing, suspension activation, full-suspension frame flex, and slack mtb geometry- this all translates into a slug on road. You may not realize it until you actually use something that is designed primarily for road use. It will take SO much less effort.
    4) I don't want a busted mtb keeping me from commuting the next day, and I don't wanted a busted commuter keeping me from mountain biking the next day.

I would suggest a couple of inexpensive bikes that aren't anything fancy, and aren't finicky "roadie" bikes:

$425 - http://www.konaworld.com/09_smoke_u.cfm

$390 - http://www.fujibikes.com/LifeStyle/R...bsolute40.aspx

You can do whatever you want and probably will, but as an avid commuter AND mountain biker, having a dedicated commuter is a MUCH better option. Just some points to ponder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Mavic T520(NowA317) rims laced to Shimano M765 Disc hubs is what i use. The rims are 700c and I run 700x28 Specialized Nimbus tires. I've got about $200 into into the wheel set..$40 into the extra discs, $125 into the extra cassette (XTR) and about $90 in tires and tubes. I LOVE it. I get to ride the bike I love, I can set it up for off road or commute in about 2 minutes. I know I could have bought many low end bikes brand new for that kind of money, but none of those will hold a candle to my regular bike. P.S. I bought a Fuji Carbon road bike to ride on Fridays (casual day) when I don't have to lug spare clothes, etc. Also for weekend club rides with some roadie friends. It still doesn't hold a candle to my regular MTB/commuter.
    Last edited by citybiker; 02-08-2009 at 07:32 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

A different ride

[Like a hybrid or something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would say it depends on your commute. If you don't have to carry much (eg a camelback) and dont need lights to lose when offroad, and don't have to ride very far, then just get a 2nd wheelset. Otherwise I would look around for a second hand bike to set up for commuting ...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Go with a dedicated commuter for all the reasons listed above.

No-Brakes Cougar
    +1 on the dedicated commuter.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Hail Satin!
    Well just get the rims. Just get cheap ones.
    My price list.

One set rims= SunRims $99 for two from Jensen. So far have held up to some pretty aggressive street riding (1-5-ish foot drops and riding the skate park in Philly)

One set 1.85 slick tires= Michelin city tires $15 each. I didn't go for the 1.5 tires because I knew I would eventually end up acting like as ass#@le and beating on them.

One cog set= $30 jensen. I really had this laying around so the price is 0. But for clarity.

One set tubes= $14 for a pair.

So all told I have $173 and change (shipping) into my street wheels. Just lock the propedal in the 3rd setting and have fun.
    You won't really save money buying a seperate bike. But! If you ride to work in an area where your bike might get ripped off. You have to ask yourself if you want to risk your BLT? Or some $300 craigs list junker.

Here's a pick of my setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One important quality of a commuter/grocery getter/bar bike is that you won't be a nervous wreck locking it up for several hours. My city bike has locking skewers, and is pretty inexpensive and tattered-looking. Your Blur might be incentive enough for someone to break out the angle grinder!

mtbr member
    I think i have decided to get a commuter bike instead of wheels and stuff almost the same price so screw it.

specialized globe san fransisco.
    single speed aluminum frame/fork avid bb7 brakes yadda yadda

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

keep that bike in the dirt

full suspension mountain bikes make bad commuter bikes keep knobs on there and get a dedicated commuter bike. a crappy old (vintage) whatever 7sp hardtail with slicks would be better than that blurLT with slicks. oh unless your commute is over technical singletrack. I have a FS bike for mountain riding and a steel road bike for commuting. My advice is spend 1/3 of what you spent on the blur and get a decent 700c wheel road bike with a slacker geometry and gears and you will be stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by tryallrider
    Hey everyone need some opinions on my situation. I recently built up a verry nice santa cruz blur lt2 and really dont want to build or buy another bike for commuting so im leaning towards getting another set of wheels with some streeet tires (something 1.5 + in size) a cassette and another pair of discs so i dont have to screw around with swaping parts for days i ride into work.

sooooooo any suggestions on tires or wheels.

BIG and Bald

Specialized Crosstrail

This is a pretty good commuter bike plus you could hit some light dirt/gravel if you wanted.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what a lovley looking bike...i can see why you wanna ride it everyday
    what pedals are those if you dont mind me asking???