mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Smile Should I buy a Roadbike or a 29 inch MTB for commute?

I bought a Fuji Nevada 1.9 26er about 2 months ago.

I hate the bike because the spring fork suspension feels cheap and mainly because the bike is 26 inch. For some reason 26er looks weird and not as nice as 29 nowadays. These wheels just look I dunno small.....

I did have a 29er years ago but the spokes kept going out of tension every time I met a slightly rough path. I never have this issue with my current 26er though.

Anyways I commute 6 mile to work and 6 mile back. That is 12 miles daily and because this is Trinidad and Tobago where I am from the roads are how to put it, not all that great? lots of patches all over some parts are rough some pot holes but mostly the road is of good quality only some parts are in this condition most is smooth.

I am wondering what a roadbike will feel like??? I admit the upright position of the MTB feels comfortable however riding against that wind on evenings is really hard. Would the drop bar on the roadbike make a big difference? what about the light weight and super high PSI on the road bikes? I know a roadbike has a 52T crank compared to my MTB with 42T but not sure if a 52T is needed since I am obese at 250 pounds and never seem to max out the current 42T infact I usually have to put it on a much softer gear

Also another thing does roadbikes get flat tires easier? my MTB pretty much never gives me a flat.

But yeah I want a fancy bike a sexier bike than this, very much considering a roadbike

Cycologist
    A road bike will feel better on the smooth parts of the road; a mountain bike will feel better on the patches and pot holes. But get slicks on the mountain bike and you'll be fine for a six mile commute.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    If the roads are not great, I'd go with a "Gravel Road" or "Adventure" bike. It's kind of like a do-it-all sort of road bike but intended for any kind of road from pavement to gravel and some smooth trails. They are able to run wide tires, have disc brakes for the most part, and have mount points for front and rear racks. I think it's the perfect setup for a commuter especially in a place with less that perfect pavement. Typical road tires range from 19c to 25c wide, but for these bikes the normal width is 28-40c. That larger size gives you a smoother ride at lower pressures and better tread options for rougher roads.

I just picked up a Diamondback Haanjo Trail a few months ago, and it works great on a variety of roads and trails. I use it to commute now and then, but right now I have it set up with skinnier 30c road tires and am doing training rides for an upcoming century. If I were just commuting, the stock 40c tires are perfect at 45psi...comfortable yet still fast rolling.

DB Site: https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-trail
    Building it up: http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/bi...l#post13414177

Should I buy a Roadbike or a 29 inch MTB for commute?-haanjo-stock.jpg
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ hmm they only sell Fuji at my local bike shop

while I do not get flat tires with my MTB I know a guy who rides to work and for some reason he gets tons of flat tires on his MTB that he has roadtires on. Maybe the grips on the MTB prevent flats in my bike or something? or I am just lucky? I am tempted to think that roadbikes would get a lot more flats from glass etc

Is it possible that MTB tires are harder and tougher than road tires which is why it gets less flats? or is it because MTB has knobby grips that elevate the tire/tube from the road?

The people I would buy from are Fuji Dealers so I could order any bike I want, if I want to pay the actual MSRP on Fuji site I would have to wait 2 month for the bike to arrive which isn't too bad. Remember its the Caribbean so they usually bring in stocks via sea shipping containers. If I want it by Air in 2 weeks its an additional $80 US.

With that said I think perhaps it is probably best I go with a hybrid Fuji?

This is the bike I am considering

Fuji Bikes | Absolute 1.7

Unlike the 1.3 which costs more, this bike has phalanx flat protection whatever that means, and it has mechanical disk brake.

Hydraulic disk brake is too risky for me, that shit locks up in the sun etc. I had a bike with hydraulic disk brakes in the past, carried it back 5 times and it always gave problems with the pads rubbing on the rotors while riding in the sun. Even the bike mechanic had no clue how to fix it. It was promax hydraulic brake so I am terrified to buy a bike with hydraulic brakes

Cycologist
    That would probably work well for you. No suspension to suck up your power and wider tires for the rougher sections as mentioned by twoheads.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fuji Bikes | Jari 2.1

Steel, clearance for 700x42 tire and pretty sharp looking.

Or since it's only 6 miles each way and you could ride basically anything for that distnace...
    Fuji Bikes | Wendigo 26 2.1
    What pot holes?

mtbr member
    Flat tires can be any number of things. It's usually user/rider error due to under-inflation or riding over goat heads/glass/etc. For flat protection on 700c tires, I really like Continental Gatorskins and Specialized Armadillo tires. The Gatorskins last a good long time, have great flat protection and roll nicely enough for even long rides.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Road bikes are better on the road for sure. The more forward position definitely helps on a windy day, and a rigid fork and fast rolling tires will make it faster and more responsive on the road.

Those bikes linked above both look good to me too.

mtbr member
    Get the Jari 2.1, put some slime in your tubes, and you're good to go.
    Veni vidi velo!