mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Should I buy this bike?

I've been thinking about buying this bike for a few years now, admittedly mostly because it's a cool-looking Cinelli that isn't imported to North America. Its 10.7 kg weight translates to 23.6 pounds, and on the Cinelli website it says that the whole frame is Columbus. With the current exchange rate, it would be about $1,280, including shipping. What do you think, is it worth it?!
    Last edited by Zothecula; 02-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I wouldn't. For that kind of money you should be getting a better component spec.

Depending on how much and where you use your bike, a "lesser" spec can be beneficial (lower prices on wear items)

Fat-tired Roadie
    If I saw that on the street, I wouldn't recognize it as a cool-looking Cinelli. I'd just see another hybrid.

IMO, road bikes are better for almost anything a hybrid can do, and if you're riding off-road, 'cross bikes are kind of like a hybrid's older, more athletic sibling. You can probably get at least a Tiagra, maybe even a 105 spec. for the money you're looking at spending.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That thing is so dope... Pricing wise, not a good deal at all - you could have a high end Trek FX, Fisher Mendota, or one of the interesting ones from LaPierre or BMC for that money...

But that bike looks amazing. And nobody else will have it... but in terms of 'value' for what you get, not great. Maybe get a less expensive hybrid, and have the paint redone to look like the Cinelli? At the price, there wouldn't be much difference, and you'd end up with better component spec anyway...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, you're probably all right, I've just got my usual late-winter "I want a new bike" cabin fever. But for $1,500, I could get a Kona PhD equipped with 105, that weighs about 2 pounds less than the Cinelli... just wish the PhD came in a color other than white!

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I was looking at the Kona site and it looks like they are not making the PhD for 2011. I have a 2009 Trek 7.7FX and it is awesome! A little more expensive, but it rides great. I ride it more than my carbon road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Okay dude, here ya go: 2011 Rocky Mountain Metropolis YUL - About $850 - which leaves you plenty left over for custom paint from Hottubes or somebody else!