The Brutally Handsome

Shifting My Weight

Most people don't care how much their commuting bike weighs, and if that's the case this might not interest you. I never really cared how much my bike weighed either until I realized the benefits of riding a lightweight mountain bike. Now, I'm working on ways to reduce and relocate weight on my commuting bike to make it more efficient.

Currently, my bike weighs 20lbs with full fenders. I decided to weigh my rack and ortlieb panniers and was astounded that each bag weighs 2lbs, and the rack itself is a pound. So, I have decided to buy a lightweight (10oz) backpack and cut those five pounds by carrying everything on my back. This also means cutting out some other items which I carry but never really use.

However, I'm having issues with my roadside repair kit. I like to carry tire levers, tube multitool, patch kit, pump, and couple first aid items, but it's ends up being a bulky two pounds. So, if you have any suggestions how to cut weight off your commuter, I'm interested to hear them. Thanks!

weirdo
    Oh, crap! Somebody has stolen Sizzler`s identity and the imposter is asking weight weenie questions under the assumed name!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    Most people don't care how much their commuting bike weighs, and if that's the case this might not interest you. I never really cared how much my bike weighed either until I realized the benefits of riding a lightweight mountain bike. Now, I'm working on ways to reduce and relocate weight on my commuting bike to make it more efficient.

Currently, my bike weighs 20lbs with full fenders. I decided to weigh my rack and ortlieb panniers and was astounded that each bag weighs 2lbs, and the rack itself is a pound. So, I have decided to buy a lightweight (10oz) backpack and cut those five pounds by carrying everything on my back. This also means cutting out some other items which I carry but never really use.

However, I'm having issues with my roadside repair kit. I like to carry tire levers, tube multitool, patch kit, pump, and couple first aid items, but it's ends up being a bulky two pounds. So, if you have any suggestions how to cut weight off your commuter, I'm interested to hear them. Thanks!

Huh my bike weighs 27lbs no fenders, but it you want to lose weight, lose the tire levers, just learn how to put the tires on without them, lose the fenders (just ride fast), get a bike jersey with large rear pockets, lose the pack.

Really no need to haul stuff back and forth these days, just set up the cleaning at work and use a stick or something to transfer data as required.

Moderator Moderator
    Get a haircut, it looks like that could shave off a few pounds .

Lighter tires, perhaps, if you're not in a flat-prone area.

The Brutally Handsome
    Rodar: the rugged, brutish Sizzler you once knew is dead and has been replaced by a sizzling sleek, spandex wearing carbon jockey.

jeffscott: considering that levers weigh next to nothing but serve a very important function I will probably look for other ways to save weight.

mtbxplorer: carrying the extra weight of my hair is worth having the wind rushing through my flaxen locks.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    So, if you have any suggestions how to cut weight off your commuter, I'm interested to hear them. Thanks!
    Get the biggest, fattest tires you can find that will fit your bike and fill them with helium.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rodar: the rugged, brutish Sizzler you once knew is dead and has been replaced by a sizzling sleek, spandex wearing carbon jockey.

jeffscott: considering that levers weigh next to nothing but serve a very important function I will probably look for other ways to save weight.

mtbxplorer: carrying the extra weight of my hair is worth having the wind rushing through my flaxen locks.

You ain't gonna change nothing.

weirdo
    Aw, man! First Commuter Boy strutting his stuff on a road bike, now Sizzler gone spandex. What rough beast lurks now towards Eugene?

Sizzler, if you`re serious, why don`t you ask for suggestions in the WW section? At 20# including fenders, your bike is already lighter than probably 90% of the daily rides here. What kind of bike are you talking about, anyway? Somehow I sort of doubt it`s the Dummy.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Honestly, I think that a rack and a couple of panniers is worth if for rides over a half hour or so.

But a lot of people bring way too much stuff with them. Do you really need all the stuff you have? Do you really need both panniers?

I take most of the stuff you just listed in your repair kit with me when I race, let alone commute or train. But you can often save some weight with a lighter pump and a lighter multi tool.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    What kind of bike are you talking about, anyway? Somehow I sort of doubt it`s the Dummy.
    Laugh now, but I had one of the best and fastest commutes of my life and it wasn't because I had a constant tail wind or that it was the first sunny day in recent memory. I credit my fabulous ride to my well conceived reductions in weight and improvements in aerodynamics.

As you can see from the photo, my 20lb Redline Conquest Pro has been streamlined with a frame pack and double bottles, which keeps all the weight close to center, and removes the wind dams created by my gargantuan panniers.

To give you an idea how much more efficient the bike is, I was able to pass cars going 60mph uphill, and at one point a little kid ran in front of me while I was doing 85mph and I was able to bunnyhop right over him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shifting My Weight-photo.jpg  

weirdo
    How much fast will you be if you ditch the saddle?

The Brutally Handsome
    None. None more fast. Though, I thought you might appreciate the dorp bars and brake shafters.

weirdo
    Yup, appreciated- very svelte. Looks like you`ve gone back to clickie pedals, too?

Dang, Sizzler- There isn`t much red on that bike. You might have been able to pull 60.4 up that hill if it weren`t for all the non red parts. And you could stand to loose a few spokes.

mtbr member
    My commuter has wet dreams at night thinking about being only 20 lbs.
    Hell, it probably isn't even 30, but I can ride pretty quick if I have to.
    The sole purpose for me commuting has nothing to do with speed.
    It's all about having a little fun on my way back and forth from work, and to get my Jeep off the road more, save a little gas, and so on, and so on...

You could always take the bars off and steer by holding on to the fork.

The Brutally Handsome
    Double post a day later, how's that even possible?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Double post a day later, how's that even possible?
    steer with your hips it gets easier if you go faster.

The Brutally Handsome
    I'm saving up for this, at 6lbs and only $45,000 it should make a sweet commuter:
    http://inhabitat.com/carbon-fiber-bi...st-six-pounds/