Thread: Which Shifters?

Professional Sociopath

Which Shifters?

I am trying to get together a bike with an FSA Gossamer crank (triple) and Shimano 105 9 speed triple front mech and it looks like my MTB shifter is incompatible so I was wondering what shifter I need especially as I am using a flat bar not drop bars.
    Do people think you are strange??

Do you??

....Then you may be on the right track.
    (Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano Flat Bar road shifters or SRAM Attack Twist Shifters (micro-indexing front)

Professional Sociopath
    The Shimano flat bar shifters seam to be specific to certain mechs and not found any that say they will work on a 105 mech plus never really liked Sram grip shifts although I did like the micro index ones I did have.
    I didn't think there would be such a difference between my Deore shifters and what the mech needs cable-pull wise.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

jrm
    mtbr member

What shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by sic_nick
    I am trying to get together a bike with an FSA Gossamer crank (triple) and Shimano 105 9 speed triple front mech and it looks like my MTB shifter is incompatible so I was wondering what shifter I need especially as I am using a flat bar not drop bars.
    is it that wont work? All shimano triple shifters can be used on a double. But a double shifter cant be used on a triple
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Professional Sociopath
    but I am using a three speed Deore shifter on a 105 triple mech and a triple ring crank.

Do you??

(Rev. J.R. Bob Dodds)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by sic_nick
    but I am using a three speed Deore shifter on a 105 triple mech and a triple ring crank.
    I think what JRM was getting at was that you can probably make it work by running your cranks as a double even though they`re triple now. If you can live without your biggest or your smallest ring, you ought to be able to do it with the shifters you have now.

If you don`t want to do that, maybe you could swap to an mtb shifter and keep the road cranks? Run it by the smart folks- I`m not sure if it`d work or not, but it would probably be cheaper than shifters if you can get away with it.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bar ends with Paul's Thumbies is a good option, though not the cheapest. Not the most spendy either, though.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No Problem Using an Older XT Rapidfire With 105 F Dearilleur

What problems are you having?

I use "road" f derailleurs all the time, specifically Campy Record, with "mtb" shifters.