mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Serious pucker moment

The other day I was coming home after work on my Redline Conquest cross bike. I was feeling pretty good and was maintaining a pretty decent clip. I came off the bridge and turned right onto first street. I checked my mirror and looked over my shoulder for cars. Signal and switch to the left lane. A VW beetle was coming up from behind but I was doing about 20 and I could tell we were both going to arrive at my next turn at about the same time. Since it's a blind left from a one-way I have to swing wide to clear cars that come to a stop at the intersection.

So, thinking about the coming congestion, I decide to maintain my lead so I start cranking hard and shift into 53-11. I'm now doing about 26 and I signal my turn...the bug is still a good distance behind me. I grab the bars again and swing right to widen my turn. Outside pedal down and weighted...leaning real hard. Suddenly I feel the back wheel starting to go...not gone, just a scrubbing noise and a gradual drift as my bike goes out of line. It seemed to last a really long time and I'm thinking I'm about to go under a parked car when my Marathon Plus finally hooks up. I start pedaling again...still doing about 21mph.

Yeah...I meant to do that. I had plenty of adrenaline for the rest of the ride home.

The next day I checked the street and there is a patch of sealer where the asphalt was cracked. I think that's what started the slide. Just too much lateral force for the available traction. Oh well...gotta find your limits I guess.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Freaky, man. A good example of why mountain biking skills come in handy on your tarmac commute!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That must have been spectacular to behold. Did you exit the slide all jerky or nice and fluid? If it was smooth then your street cred might have doubled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My reactions are slow so I didn't try to correct or anything. The bike righted itself and I started pedaling. It probably looked cool as hell. Too bad there was nobody there to see it.

Double-metric mtb man
    Been there, done that! I can sympathize fully with the pucker moment. Glad to hear you made it through just fine.

Mine was when I first upgraded my disc brakes to a larger front disc....forgot it was so much more powerful and, as fate would have it, a light that I was booking it to make changed on me. First (and only) time I've done a nose wheelie from 25km/h to a full stop.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I wasn't so lucky

I have a similar story, but I didn't come out of mine as lucky as you did. I was riding down a paved and shaded bike/running path early one Saturday morning last summer. It had been raining the day so everything was still damp. I approached a jogger from the rear and I rang my bell. He got over to the far right of the path and I proceeded to ride on the edge of the left of the path. There was a quick "S" turn in the path where I happened to pass the jogger. As I leaned to make the first half of the "S" turn, my rear wheel completely flew out from underneath me and I did a face plant into the concrete. I think that I put my arms up to protect my face, but everything happened so quick that I can't say for certain. Even if I did manage to get my arms up, my chin still hit the ground and busted my chin open. I'm sure that guy that was running down the trail thought I was unconscious. He was asking me if I was okay and if I spoke english (I'm a military member stationed in Germany and so was he). As I was laying there in pain, I could feel with my tongue that one of my teeth was missing. When I did finally get up after about 30 seconds or so, I was dripping blood everywhere.

To make a long story not as long... I completely knocked out one of my canine teeth; I chipped one of my front teeth; and I had multiple hairline fractures in my other front tooth. After stitches in my chin; a stilt across my teeth to hold in the tooth that was knocked out until I could see a dentist on Monday; 2 root canals; composite on my chipped tooth until I could see a different doctor to get fitted for crowns; 3 of my teeth ground down to posts for crowns; temporary crowns until my permanent crowns arrived; having my temporary crowns re-cemented a few times will still waiting for my permanent crowns; and finally having permanent crowns put in; I'm finally done with the medical and dental repercussions from my accident.

The cause of my accident was (I didn't know this at the time but..) there was moss/mold along the sides of the bike path that I was riding on. The rain from the day before made the edges of the bike path as slick as seaweed. Now I ride with a mouth guard (will not ride without one) and I take turns like a little old lady (I'm still shell shocked from my accident).
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    The cause of my accident was (I didn't know this at the time but..) there was moss/mold along the sides of the bike path that I was riding on. The rain from the day before made the edges of the bike path as slick as seaweed.
    I don't ride on bike paths in parks very often, but when I do I corner like a sissy too. I've gone down twice on moldy damp paths- very slick stuff. I have a permanent scar on my left hip reminding me that asphalt is painful.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

jfk
    mtbr member
    Glad you came out of it ok. That would have been awesome to behold. It would be even better if you could stick a clip of your drift into one of those youtube video's of sport compacts cars drifting. The contrast would be hilarious.

when I was much younger (think about the age when you just get shy around girls) I came streaking down short steep hill in my neighborhood which ended in a T intersection. I turned left slammed the coaster brake and skid into the turn, lined up and started pedalling again. If there would have been a car there I would have died. I have no idea why I came into the hill, let alone the turn so hot, but in a movie-esque moment there was someone there. Two girls my age, one of which I had a crush on. From their view it was me flying over and down the hill, the deafening screech of rubber and me still taking off like a bat out of hell. She probably thinks I am lunatic to this day. Nineteen years later, I still wish I would talked to her about that. I want to know if it looked as cool as it did in my mind or if I looked as completely out of control as I felt.

mtbr member
    I was having trouble losing my ass in turns for a while on my road bike. I was running some Vittoria Rubino Pros a friend recommended. At first it happened when things were wet, then when going over road print (like the lane arrows),then the center lines and finally started happening in almost every turn. Being a cheapass I figured the problem would fix itself. And it did... I finally put enough miles on the tires that the thread started showing. Those gave me back my grip in the turns

Good job keeping cool, I'm sure any countermeasures would have left you in a wreck