Semi-Hairless Sasquatch

Serfas Clip On Fenders - front fender mounting problems

So I picked up a set of these off of chainlove a couple of weeks ago, not really for commuting but for wet pavement rides, moderate mud days, and to keep gravel from getting kicked up into my face on mixed surface type rides. Unfortunately the front mounting system doesn't appear to work w/ the fork on either of my MTBs - the "plug" seems like it's probably an 1/8" too big and the rear portion of the fender doesn't look like it would clear the down tube/cable housings if it would fit flush.

Anyone else run into this issue? If so what creative solutions did you come up with?

My current idea is to try to find some type of rubber stopper the will fit securely in the steerer tube, stack that up w/ some washers to provide some more clearance, and run an appropriately sized stainless bolt through the middle to attach the fender.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A rubber stopper sounds like a good idea. They sell them in the hardware section of Home Depot, in drawers. I have the same fender, and to get it to fit the front I had to grind down some metal that was inside the steerer tube (where there were holes drilled that left burs inside the steerer tube), and I had to replace the wing nut with a regular nut (metric, btw) because it was hitting the tire. I still haven't mounted the front, but I've been using the back one for a while, and the only problem with that is that it won't stay straight. I put a piece of cut up tube around the seat post where it mounts, and that helps, but when I bump it it gets out of alignment and won't go back unless I unscrew it and straighten the rubber tube.
    Matt