mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Security Tip for QR Skewers

Returned to my LBS the other day, 5 mins after leaving, having had my skewers stolen when I left my bike for 2 minutes to buy some milk. My LBS showed me this trick, I'd never seen it before, so I thought I'd share it.

Basically you need skewers that have a hole somewhere in the handle, the cheapest shimano skewers available do the trick, I'm sure there are others too.

When tightening the skewers you need to position the handle so that it is parallel with the chain stay / fork. Put a cable tie through the hole in the handle and wrap it around the chain stay / fork and tighten. Cut off the excess tie and Volia !

You should always lock your wheels anyway, but at least this way some skater punk (I saw you, you b*stard) is not going to walk past and nick your QRs. Just make sure to remember to bring a multi-tool with a knife if you want to change a flat !

banned
    In NYC I've seen lots of bikes with hose clamps on QR's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just use bolt on axles on all my bikes.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    In NYC I've seen lots of bikes with hose clamps on QR's.
    I am having a hard time picturing this. Couldn't the hose clamp just be broken off easier than a lock?

ballbuster

Yeah, but....

Quote Originally Posted by bee
    I am having a hard time picturing this. Couldn't the hose clamp just be broken off easier than a lock?
    ... most casual thieves won't want the extra effort of breaking out a knife. They are usually the type to just flip and grab in under 10 seconds. No, it won't stop everybody, but slow folks down enough so they probably won't bother.

Good trick. Imonna do this to my bike right now. I got some nice blue ano Ti skewers on my commuter CX bike.

It would be nice if somebody made a set of good (not like the Aztec death traps) bolt-on skewers with Torx heads or something. Some bolt that is not commonly carried. Maybe a 12 point triple square drive? Nobody carries that tool. The driveshafts on my VW uses those.