mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Seat post racks...do they work?

I'm thinking about buying a second set of wheels for my mountain bike so I can easily switch out for road riding or trail riding. However, the frame I have does not have rack accomodations so I need to find a different way to carry my panniers. I've seen some from Topeak that are made for panniers but I wonder how well they actually work. I've heard on occasion that seatpost racks ride too high and tend to pivot around. I'm also a little concerned about the strain they put on the seatpost and frame.

Please share your insight!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I run a topeak seat rack with panniers. I will tell you this: The weight limit is 20lbs... I havent really pushed the issue with that too much, but I trust that 20lbs is about all you will want to safely attempt on a post rack, so dont really plan on loading down with a bunch of groceries or carrying 1000$ in pennies or anything like that . I use mine for fairly light loads of clothes or a couple books, but never anything too crazy. The beam rack is extremely stable and stiff though and does not flex one bit. It feels like a traditionally mounted rack and the clamp has worked excellent for me so far.

Also: the rack works excellent overall and I have had zero issues. I frequently use it with a topeak trunk bag in the summer as well and I couldnt be more happy with the setup. The only problem is that being a seat post rack, you will have movement occasionally no matter how tight you have it on there. If you lean it up against something it may move from center a little bit. This is not really an issue unless you use the fender on the bottom of the rack like I do and in that case if you dont check the rack alignment you can end up getting wet.

Here is what mine looks like:

I rest the clamp actually on the seat collar itself and it sits fairly low with only a few inches to spare from the top of the tire.
    Last edited by Helmsdini; 11-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I have one that is an OEM version of the Topeak...I cut a piece of inner tube to put in between the clamp and seat post...holds it in place with no problems...I run it on top of the post collar as well and it stays out of my way nicely...I carry a gym bag on it with my clothes and food for the day, extra bike clothes, hats, mittens, tool kit, small pump, whatever...
    I like that I can pop it off in a heartbeat if I want to. It's worked great!

mtbr member
    I used a non-QR version Delta brand for a season. Very sturdy, it NEVER moved from place, and it was nice not having a pack on my back. My only complaint was that it noticeably shifted the center of gravity of the bike. I noticed it when maneuvering the bike (a road bike), but I can't say that it made the bike any-less safe.

If I ever start commutuing again, I'll probably just use my Osprey backpack.

Antonio

M_2
    Just like a paper tiger

Another option

Take a look at oldmanmountain.com, they make a bunch of different racks that don't require normal rack mounts on a bike. As a matter of fact, u can even use them on a FS.

Check em out...
    "the two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity" -Harlan Ellison