mtbr member
    Aug 2013

In search of rain gear

Looking around the net for some bike rain gear and all I keep finding is the color black or yellow, I'm looking for white or blue. I live in a city that is dark from 4:30pm and on, and for some reason, the majority of cycling rain pants are black with some reflectors, or yellow with reflectors. Well, I want blue or white rain pants, because I'm different. Anyone got any links to such great things? I'll keep looking and post up my findings, but help would be much appreciated!

Edit: So far this is the only thing I've found I like, in white anyways;

Name:  0000000037435.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  16.6 KB
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think blending in is pretty much the opposite of what I want to do on a bicycle. And at this time of year (in the US at least) white is a color that could get lost in the snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I think blending in is pretty much the opposite of what I want to do on a bicycle. And at this time of year (in the US at least) white is a color that could get lost in the snow.
    City riding. On that note, in the outdoor wear of most outdoor related stores, all of the rain gear pants are black, lots of colorful snowboard pants though. It would be nice to have a pair of riding pants that are waterproof/highly water resistant and are close to the same blue as the 'lead blue POC Receptor' helmet.

In search of rain gear-60661.jpg
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What about a blue or white jacket with black pants? Finding those color rain pants won't be easy....
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    I think I still have a pair from LLBean circa 1982, maybe a little lighter blue/brighter than your helmet, kind of ripstoppy material. I might part with them if they fit you...probably a mens small since women didn't do outdoor stuff back then according to most gearmakers.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I've totally struck out on rainpants since my circa' 1993 MEC pair died. They were black, but at least they were tapered so the cuffs sealed my overboots.

Every pair of 'cycling rainpants' I've tried on since then are cut like they're supposed to go over snowboard boots. In fact, one pair that I bought I ended up using for that very purpose, since they were useless at keeping water out of my bike shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I've totally struck out on rainpants since my circa' 1993 MEC pair died. They were black, but at least they were tapered so the cuffs sealed my overboots.

Every pair of 'cycling rainpants' I've tried on since then are cut like they're supposed to go over snowboard boots. In fact, one pair that I bought I ended up using for that very purpose, since they were useless at keeping water out of my bike shoes.
    Yeah, I tried on like 6 pairs of black rain pants at Next Adventure outdoor store. All of the 'cycling' rain gear it seemed were cut for boots. The binding to tighten the cuff was about 5" up the leg. When I would fold the materials over on any one of the pants, it basically created a gutter, a path if you will, for the water to run straight into my shoe. How could this been overlooked. I can understand that the material under the cuff is to rest over your foot, but it only rest on your foot when your standing still, when riding it slides up your leg and puts the fold in such the right position that the water that eventually runs down your leg ends up in your shoe... Sigh

Think I might buy those winter camo white pants and do some modifications to them. They'll be bright enough for commuting and fall/spring trail riding!

I found these rain suits by Frogtogg, they have no leg bindings on the cuffs, but are a Royal Blue suit that is breathable, any of your guys have some review on Frogtoggs?
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    I just remembered Lou at Foxwear, he can make you a blue pair.

Check out the rain gear Rain Gear - Foxwear

And the fabrics page for colors
    Fabrics - Foxwear

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    I found these rain suits by Frogtogg, they have no leg bindings on the cuffs, but are a Royal Blue suit that is breathable, any of your guys have some review on Frogtoggs?
    I use an Frogtogg rain suit. It is pretty good considering the price, also has a hood and is a good wind blocker. You will most likely sweat in it if you are exerting yourself, but it does keep you warm despite the sweating. I usually wear a t shirt under it and take dry clothes to change into after my commute.

I use O deg Celsius neoprene gloves which are usually wet when you put them on but keep your hands warm. I use double plastic grocery bags over my shoes tucked in under the bottom of my FrogTogg pant legs, with one rubber band around my ankle and one around the top and bottom of my foot. My socks get wet from sweat and my shoes get a bit damp from sweat. I am thinking I would like to get a pair of the Oceanic 6.5 mm neoprene boots to clean the look up a bit.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I ride my sport/tour moto in all weather. Frog Toggs makes the Road Toad set. I have a set in Hi-Viz yellow. They do the job well at 65-70mph so I think they'd suit someone on a bike just fine.