Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Screamers.

mtbr member

Screamers.

Why do these morons insist on scaring the b'jesus out of us cyclers? Don't they know that they're adolescent behavior just reinforces our beliefs that their mothers should've swallowed? Sorry I'm just venting. I'll delete that if it's inappropriate.

It was late and I was starving so I grab my bike and head 2 miles to my local Subway for a footlong club on white when an SUV drive's by and some imbecile screams at the top of their prepubescent lungs and I almost fall off my bike. Then I even hear them giggling like a bunch of school girls as they speed away.

I wish I could say that this was my only experience with these screaming numbskulls but it's not. This happened to me couple of times.

Boy I wish they would've had to come to a stop. It just frustrates me that as a cyclist, there really isn't anything we could do to prevent or even retaliate to this juvenile retardism.
    Last edited by ScareyH22A; 10-16-2008 at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm usually not frightened by screaming. It has no effect on me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That stuff scares me too. Usually it happens at a 35+mph area so it feels like a drive by! If you were in the parking area... have key in left hand, when he screams, pretend to lose balance and veer to car, use the car as a support while "struggling to keep balance" as the key is flying along the surface. Just an idea ;-)

I Ride for Donuts
    I have had run-ins with the same idiots. I don't know what's worse: screaming idiots, or silent hybrid cars Those things are touching your ankle before you know that they're there.

I have been randomly flipped off a few times too. I think the weak-minded are empowered by the thought that there's no way you're going to chase them down and do anything about it. Frustrating.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
    Why do these morons insist on scaring the b'jesus out of us cyclers? Don't they know that they're adolescent behavior just reinforces our beliefs that their mothers should've swallowed? Sorry I'm just venting. I'll delete that if it's inappropriate.

It was late and I was starving so I grab my bike and head 2 miles to my local Subway for a footlong club on white when an SUV drive's by and some imbecile screams at the top of their prepubescent lungs and I almost fall off my bike. Then I even hear them giggling like a bunch of school girls as they speed away.

I wish I could say that this was my only experience with these screaming numbskulls but it's not. This happened to me couple of times.

Boy I wish they would've had to come to a stop. It just frustrates me that as a cyclist, there really isn't anything we could do to prevent or even retaliate to this juvenile retardism.

If you feel threaten then that is assault, around here the cops are only to happy to help out, call 911 on your cell and get the tag...

You also need several different colours and types of outerwear to ensure they can't get a fix on you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ahhh, but to retaliate is to stoop to their level of maturity, would that serve any purpose other then to make you feel better? I usually just laugh it off, after all their goal was to scare the tar out of you and have a good laugh…they succeeded. Lighten up an learn to laugh at yourself a little, or buy a mirror so your not so startled by what is coming from behind.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    ...buy a mirror so your not so startled by what is coming from behind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yelling... It already pretty loud on the roads where I live so it doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, people have thrown soda cans, beer bottles, and trash at me on occasion. One group of teenage boys pulling a u-turn and came back so I pulled my chain/cable lock from my frame and busted something as they passed. Considering the time of night, they were probably drunk and didn't feel like dealing with the cops.

narCOTIC
    I find clipless cleats are perfect for running down the side of car doors....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think it is just that time of year?
    DSC00824.jpg
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    some guys yelled at me too ! whats up with that ?? like there driving along and " hey look, a dude on a bike, im gonna yell at him like an idiot"!!! ?!?!?!?!?!

Double-metric mtb man
    I've had screamers, honkers, swervers and chuckers since I got back into riding. The swerver was the worst...if I had grabbed his tag, I would have called the cops as that qualifies as an assault.

The chuckers got their due, though. Chucked an empty red bull can at me and then got stopped at the next light. Seeing as I am 6', 235+gear, built a bit like a brick wall and look a lot like a cop, I guess made them very uncomfortable when I caught up to them. All I did was leaned over a bit (so I could look right in the window of their slammed little sport truck) and stared at them over the top of my shades with a police-like stern expression...not mad or anything else, just "that" look: the stone-faced-cop-is-trying-to-decide-if-he-should-write-a-ticket look. When they weren't looking away and whistling nervously, the "oh crap!" look on their faces was priceless.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had a kid lean out of the passenger window and scream at me as he drove by, the problem for them was there was a stop sign 100yds away and to there suprise I pulled up right next to them and calmly said "Did you say something to me back there" The kid was shaking so bad trying to tell me that he was just singing a song. I just said to them "yeah its a nice day to sing" and let them on their way. I don't think they will do that again.
    I Ride Bikes.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I have been randomly flipped off a few times too. I think the weak-minded are empowered by the thought that there's no way you're going to chase them down and do anything about it. Frustrating.
    That is exactly right, because you know they'd never do that to you on foot or if there were a stop sign coming up. I used to walk everywhere and I've had people scream all kinds of things at me. It's stupid because usually they're going so fast that the Doppler effect renders it unintelligable anyway. A couple of times they've been going slow enough that as soon as I called for them to get out of the car so that I can kick the crap out of them, they speed off. It's amusing and it works every time. The thing that amazes me the most is that these underage punks are driving around in these expensive SUVs that mommy and daddy bought for them. I didn't even own a car until I was 30.

Weak-minded people are amazing and they'll go to any length to make themselves feel empowered. Earlier this year I was having a lot of health problems and ended up driving to work for awhile. Once at a light, just as it turned green this little bastard ran in front of my car, squatted down and started tying his shoes while looking at me with a ****-eating grin. To reward his audacity, I revved the engine and started creeping towards him. He ran off, pants loaded. Bet he won't try that again?

It's easy to say "don't sink to their level," but gawd damn it, I don't do anything to anybody and I'm sure most people on this forum are the same way. It infuriates me when someone screws with me (which is obviously why they do it). On another forum I've read stories by this guy who has been a bike courier for decades and he has some amusing solutions that I'd probably never try. One example is some little wankers tossing a soda from their Escalade at him as they drove past. They stopped at a stop sign and he pulled up besides them, knocked on the window and when they rolled it down he dumped his water bottle inside on them. This guy is hardcore, he carries around ball bearings, lug nuts and spark plugs to lob at cars that get aggressive with him. I don't think doing property damage is always the solution (rarely in fact), but if someone is swerving and endangering your life then they get what's coming to them. You have a right to defend yourself!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    I've ran across a few of those too. I usually got the honkers if I had to drop off the sidewalk to get around someone but I never went to far in the lane to cause a problem. had some dipwad throw a water bottle once which just ended up sliding between my wheels. had another dipwad yell get off the street going the oppisate direction I was going in the only part of the ride I have between my moms place and my apts where there were no corner ramps up to the sidewalk. but I've also had a decent amount of people back up in driveways (if they were able to. would see their reverse lights pop on) to get outta my way for a fair trade off so

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bless me father for I have sinned...

I remember one time on my old, crappy mountain bike back in about 1987 or so...I had these super-wide Z-line tires on it. They had a wide zig-zag rib down the middle. If I locked the rear brake at speed on asphalt I would slide forever...the sound was exactly like a car in an out of control skid. Well, I used this to my advantage many times to wake up inattentive drivers.

One time...just for fun...the street was empty one night except for me and this pickup with about 6 drunk frat boys in the back. They were stopped at a light and I slid for about 50 feet coming up behind them in the dark. They were freaking out all over the place waiting to get hit by the car they couldn't see. I have never seen such helpless and panicked looks. By the time they figured out it was coming from a stupid bicycle, I had hopped a curb and was gone.

I laughed all the way back to my apartment.

You know...recalling this makes me think of a great retaliatory product. Say a car goes by you and someone screams and startles you. If you had a horn/loudspeaker that made a realistic and super loud squealing tire sound, it's a sure bet the driver of the car would hear it through the open window and would just about shat his drawers. After all, they are paying attention to you and suddenly, they are hearing a car slide that they are about to hit. That would be a righteous payback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Come to think of it, a horn that emitted a sound that makes drivers sit up and take notice would be a great safety product for bicycles. I don't think you can use a police-like siren so I think the squealing tires sound would be perfect any time a car needs to be alerted. Of course, they wouldn't be looking for you when they heard that sound.

mtbr member
    kinda wierd went to a thrift store to cause I was bored and walked for a few reasons (won't go into it) and some dip did it to me on the way..some youngish punk in the back seat

mtbr member
    A car full of teenage boys. Have you seen the video of the kids in LA who were shooting people (including cyclists) with paintballs. They were pulled over caught red handed with the video they made. They all served time for that stunt.

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    Stuff like this makes me want to get a concealed weapon+permit, and carry while commuting on my bike.

But, about the only situation it'd be useful in is if someone pulls something, then I catch up with them, and they want to start a fight. So I don't.
    Crowdgather: Find It On Forums

'07 Specialized Enduro SL with '08 Suspension

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    What really gets me are all the bikers that run stop signs and lights and ride 2+ abrest on roads that are signed single file only. If you want to be part of traffic, act like it. There is not much worse then going around a corner on the roads around here and seeing a group of riders taking up the whole lane with not one of them in the bike lane. Just what I need is to be charged with vehicular manslaughter because some guy thinks he is special. There are idiots on bikes and in cars, we are all that idiot at some point.

My mom almost got rammed by a drunk driver who "accidentally" ran off the road, one of the other guys in the group kicked the **** out of him and his truck when he came to a stop.

Yea, kinda OT. Kill me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I have had run-ins with the same idiots. I don't know what's worse: screaming idiots, or silent hybrid cars Those things are touching your ankle before you know that they're there.

Pls use a side mirror. It will keep u aware of some silent idiot driver behind u so u anticipate their presence. They will in no way scare the **** out of u with repeated honk or scream if u anticipated their presence. I even use side mirror to monitor their movement behind me in case some moron decide to slam their car against me and I will take appriopriate evasive action..

ONe less gear
    I received some loud negative cursing yesterday because I had the audacity to want to turn right on a two lane road. I was in the left lane and I need to be in the right lane to turn right. I signaled and got into the deadman lane long before this guy had to slow down, yet he still yelled his disatisfaction. Oh, we drive on the other side of the road here.

mtbr member
    F*CK! It happened again today! Two of my friends and I went mtn biking tonight and one of the guys was a few seconds behind us. There's an area where we're riding on the trail, parallel to the street and some a**hats in a red Chevy S10 drove by screaming. So my friend that was next to me and I both yelled back. When we came to a stop, my bud caught up to us and said, those a**holes threw a soda bottle at me and it hit my left foot. He said he yelled at them but we didn't hear it. We just heard them yelling as they passed us. F*cking retards I swear to God!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yesterday evening I had somebody drive by me and yell "Hey!" in my ear. I yelled back "Hey! You wanna die!?" This is why it's illegal to carry concealed weapons, the temptation to use them is terribly strong sometimes.

Last night on Chocolate News there was a skit about how high gas prices affect crime. These gangbangers were doing a drive-by on a tandem bike with pegs, it was hilarious.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast