mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Schwalbe Marathon Plus psi?

What PSI are folks running with 26x1.75 Schwalbe Marathon Plus? (Front & rear.)

I got used to the feel of 26x1.95 Specialized Hemispheres at f35 r55, but running the Marathons at 70/70 is a horrible experience. However, it seems some folks find them more comfortable at higher psi.

Is anyone running them at reduced psi?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ran 1.5" Marathons (not plus) anywhere from 70 to 90 psi on my full rigid MTB when that was my commuter. Very harsh and punishing. I eventually switched over to a cyclocross bike for commuting and I'm running 28mm Marathon Pluses with 90/90 and it is still pretty rough though somewhat improved over the MTB. I may get a more compliant fork to deal with the vibration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wonder if reducing the psi would make things worse or better. I guess I'll just have to try!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by snoogly
    I wonder if reducing the psi would make things worse or better. I guess I'll just have to try!
    I can`t say about your Schwalbes, but 70# sounds pretty high to me for 1.75 tires. I run 1.5s (currently Serfas, but I`ve run several brands of 1.5s at the same pressure) at 60 in back, 45-50 in front. Granted, I only weigh 140, but still I think you should be able to get away with a lot less pressure.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by snoogly
    Better, likely. Lower PSI = softer ride, albeit with more rolling resistance. Trying reducing the air pressure a little at a time until you find the right balance of comfort and rolling resistance.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010