Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

School/Hike/Commute/Bike Backpacks?

I was recently very interested in the Ergon BD3, but the price, and the apparent mixed reviews of some of their others products has me interested in what else might be out there.

I need something to haul 1-3 books around in, an extra changes of clothes, have a spot for a water bladder, and be both low profile for commuting, but have features that keep it from moving all over the place when riding XC/Freeride, and hiking/trail running.

What's new in the world of adventure backpacks?

So far I've checked out:

Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack - No bladder, uncomfortable for some.
    Deuter Futura - Comfortable, not waterproof, not designed around books or laptop
    North Face Recon - Bladder, not waterproof
    ChicagoWig BackPack - No idea on price.
    TimBuck2 Backpacks - No bladder, some are waterproof
    Chrome Backpacks - Slim and ergonomic, comfortable, but not designed around laptops/books.
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 06-20-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Graphic Designer
    I love my north face bag, it has been everywhere, hasn't failed once, has extra large ykk zippers, a bladder, a whistle on the strap, huge padded straps, and the back part is super cool and super padded. Lots of room for everything.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check out the Vaude bicycling backpacks (i.e. the Brenta 26)... they're vented so your back doesn't get all sweaty. I've been using one for a while and can definitely say they are nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I recently bought the "CamelBak Asymetrix 20 Hydration Pack - 3L" on steepandcheap.com for near $40. It's been great for commuting and other long distance rides. Some great features as well. Do a search for the same at backcountryoutlet.com