Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salsa Vaya

Salsa Vaya

Looks like I managed to get a 2014 Salsa Vaya frameset. Got word today that my order has been accepted and my frameset should get loaded on the truck later in the week.

Got a blue CC 110 headset on the way, also. I wish some of the better mid priced headsets came in colors. A blue CC 40 would have been my first choice, probably.

I have been thinking about doing some gravel rides on it. There is one in the spring here that sounds fun. You are given gps coordinates for some old cemeteries and have to choose your own route to collect them. The route can use singletrack or roads. I have been told that the top 10 this year was an even split between cross bikes and mtn bikes, and distance wound up around 65mi give or take.

I think a 1x10 with dirt drops and 700x40 tires would be pretty well suited for the ride. Given the terrain, I might need a smaller chainring than I would use commuting.

Natural Born Killer
    Sound like it's going to be a great bike! All my rides have single chainrings now, either 1x1, 1x7, or 1x9. What ride is that you're thinking about doing in the spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Salsa Vaya

The Sub9 Gravel Grovel

mtbr member
    I don't know if you're already planning on getting a narrow/wide chainring, but I just have to say that they're totally worth it. I ran an ss ring on my winterbike for the last few years, and it worked but in the back of my head there's always a worry about chaindrop. But I've had a narrow/wide on my hardtail all summer, and it's fantastic - fantastic enough that I bought one for my winter bike too.

In another thread you'd mentioned you had a fork with 309mm axle to crown? I'd meant to ask if that was going on the vaya, because that seems super short?

Salsa Vaya

The vaya is getting its own fork. I don't remember the a-c on the forks I have already.

I do intend to get a narrow wide chainring eventually...once I decide on what size I want. I have 42t and 44t SS rings already that I will try before spending the bux on a WolfTooth (so far, the only one making 130BCD rings I know of). I suspect the 44t will be about right for riding around town. If I do the gravel grovel, I may put a mtb crankset on so I can go a lot smaller.

mtbr member
    Yeah, for a gravelgrinder the narrow/wide probably isn't critical, but every winter I have a few chaindrops on my commuter and it's worth it to avoid them. I am just super-impressed with how well the narrow/wide rings work.

winter chaindrops have to suck. cold fingers trying to put a greasy chain back on the ring. ugh.

mtbr member
    Don't forget the 2" thick gloves.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have 42t and 44t SS rings already that I will try before spending the bux on a WolfTooth (so far, the only one making 130BCD rings I know of). I suspect the 44t will be about right for riding around town. If I do the gravel grovel, I may put a mtb crankset on so I can go a lot smaller.
    I run a Surly stainless steel 44T ring on my commuter, and they also make them in 130BCD, just throwing that out there as another option. I will say that I'm intrigued by the WolfTooth rings, haven't seen those before. I run a little homemade chain guide to keep the chain from dropping, but I haven't tried the Surly ring without it, so I don't know whether the Surly ring needs it. The WolfTooth rings sound like they're exactly for that purpose though... pretty cool!
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im looking for a used vaya frame to move over the stuff from the CX bike. I plan on using my triple ultregra converted to 28/40/bash.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Im looking for a used vaya frame to move over the stuff from the CX bike. I plan on using my triple ultregra converted to 28/40/bash.
    good luck. I tried looking and couldn't find a used one. That must mean it's a great bike and nobody wants to get rid of them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I run a Surly stainless steel 44T ring on my commuter, and they also make them in 130BCD, just throwing that out there as another option. I will say that I'm intrigued by the WolfTooth rings, haven't seen those before. I run a little homemade chain guide to keep the chain from dropping, but I haven't tried the Surly ring without it, so I don't know whether the Surly ring needs it. The WolfTooth rings sound like they're exactly for that purpose though... pretty cool!
    SRAM came out with the narrow-wide idea first...for its XX1 group. Race Face makes one now, too, but for mtb cranksets. WolfTooth makes some for cross bikes, so I think that's what I'll have to get. I've seen the SRAM ones in person. It's a killer idea. But as I said, I already have regular 42t and 44t SS rings I will use for the time being.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Never say "never". Im kinda of hoping the new model year may spur some folks to sell...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Never say "never". Im kinda of hoping the new model year may spur some folks to sell...
    Maybe. That Smokey Blue Robinson color looks nice (what mine is). Which, coincidentally, was delivered today. Hopefully my headset arrives soon so I can install it before taking the frameset home.

I dream on two wheels
    I've got a 2010 Vaya, I think, its the brown with light blue decals. I saw the 2014 in a shop window the other day and the green one looked awesome. Anyway, the Vaya is a great bike. I've got about 16,000 commuting miles on mine and still love riding it. Enjoy it.
    Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    I've got a 2010 Vaya, I think, its the brown with light blue decals. I saw the 2014 in a shop window the other day and the green one looked awesome. Anyway, the Vaya is a great bike. I've got about 16,000 commuting miles on mine and still love riding it. Enjoy it.
    I saw a green one being built up at the shop the other day when I took my mtb wheels in for a true. The green one is sharp, too. I'm excited to get mine built up, though. It'll look sweet, too.

Paypal deposit cleared my bank today, and the Cane Creek 110 headset arrived today, so I headed to the shop to pick up my Vaya.

I like the Smokey Blue Robinson color. The headset doesn't match the seat collar (I had my doubts when I ordered it), but it does match the dark blue graphics on the frame, so it might work out pretty well with the two colored blue ano stuff. That's pretty much going to be it for blue ano. I don't even think I'll put blue bar tape on the bike, for that matter.

2014 Salsa Vaya 2 Frameset

I didn't get the frame faced today. One of the mechanics suggested I take care of rustproofing first. Makes sense. I picked up a pair of downtube cable housing stops, but that's it. With the Brown County Breakdown mtb fest this weekend, and moving into my new place next week, it will be a little while before I have my new bike shop space in the basement set up for building this up.

Frame's supposed to fit 38's with fenders. I'm not sure if my current fenders will fit or not, but I've got a pair of 38's sitting around that I'll probably throw on my wheelset instead of the 32's on them now. The shop had one on the floor that had 700x40's in it, and they even looked like there MIGHT be enough room for fenders.

I'm doubtful that I'll have this bike 100% ready for this year's Gravel Grovel in Nov, but if I do, I might sign up for the 25 mile ride option instead of the metric century race.

mtbr member
    <3 this bike. I've been thinking of ditching my CC and getting something with disc brakes since I've been riding some monster cross with it. I had been leaning towards the Straggler but was disappointed to lose the blue frame. This looks like it may be on my short list.

mtbr member
    Dammit! My size has 26" wheels, not 700C.

Salsa Vaya

The purple straggler is hawt, too. I considered that one, also. The odd dropouts and the seatstay mounted rear caliper pushed me away from it, though

jrm
    mtbr member
    Nice. Ill bet some clement MSO explor 40c's would fit in there. How wide a rim are you on?

Salsa Vaya

Velocity dyads, looks like 24mm outer width. I have my eye on those clements

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im on the 35c USH's on the CX and theyre working out well.

Ride Everything
    40mm tires are no problem, nor are 43mm Rock N Roads.

Loads of Vaya-related info/reviews on my site.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    40mm tires are no problem, nor are 43mm Rock N Roads.

Loads of Vaya-related info/reviews on my site.
    Interesting reading about your experiments with 650b and fatter tires on a Vaya. Good to know I can push tire width a bit. I am thinking that I want room for fenders, at least in upcoming seasons. I probably won't push tire width with fenders until I see how much room I've got with the 38mm tires I have. Even still, those tires are boxed up in my storage unit ATM, and I won't be unboxing them for awhile just yet. I'll probably get this bike rolling initially on a set of 32's I had on my last bike. Depends how long it takes for me to get the frame rustproofed and faced for building. I don't have a good spot to do the rustproofing until next week when I get into my new place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast