Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salsa Vaya

Ride Everything
    If you're doing winter riding, and don't want to worry (too much) about flats, check out the SOMA New Xpress tires. I ran the 32mm version last winter (in some pretty bad weather) with good results.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Salsa Vaya

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    If you're doing winter riding, and don't want to worry (too much) about flats, check out the SOMA New Xpress tires. I ran the 32mm version last winter (in some pretty bad weather) with good results.
    Winter riding here involves some amount of ice and snow which varies from year to year which is more prevalent. Snow was more prevalent last year but I really only rode my mtb.

I have been debating a set of winter studs. But it depends how much I actually ride this winter in the ice. There is the occasional warm winter with very little frozen water, too. The 38's I have already should cover most other situations well enough, and enough puncture protection to get me through the cold, dark months with relatively few issues.

Ride Everything
    I used studs for the first time last year. Great on black/sheet ice, and pretty underwhelming on everything else. You can find the review here.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    I used studs for the first time last year. Great on black/sheet ice, and pretty underwhelming on everything else. You can find the review here.
    Yeah, I've been fine on most winter conditions with regular tires in the past. I did have some winter studs for my SS mtb when I lived in Michigan several years ago, too. The crumbly refrozen slush is quite secure with regular tires that have some tread. I am concerned more with sheet ice and black ice. Mostly the highly compressed snow that becomes sheet ice, but being that the terrain is pretty flat here, there are commonly places where runoff from sun-melted snow pools and then freezes overnight.

One thing I don't know is how bike lanes are maintained in the winter here. Not sure if they are depository zones for snow plowed from auto traffic lanes, or whether they get the same consideration.

Scored some new gear during the Brown County Breakdown. Got a set of Kona Wah-Wah pedals in the raffle after the ride. My previous commute bike had $15 plastic platforms on it. For now, I'm going to put them on the Vaya. Been thinking about throwing some good platforms on my mtb for awhile and now that I have them, I just need shoes. I MIGHT be able to make my current mtb shoes last through the end of the season (I just had to reglue the soles for the second time of the season last week) and when I replace them, I have my eye on a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes. At that point, I'll probably toss the Konas on the mtb and reevaluate pedals on the Vaya to decide if I want a second set of pinned plaforms, or whether I want something else.

Finally got unpacked enough at the new place to get my frame and fork rustproofed and the shift cable adjusters installed (with tons of grease). Maybe on Sunday, I'll get over to the shop to have the BB, HT, crown race seat, and disc tabs faced, and get the headset installed so I can get this bike built up. Going to run fully sealed shift cables on it.

Natural Born Killer
    Something I've been meaning to ask; did you consider the Fargo, if so why did you decide to get the Vaya? I would be torn between the two of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Something I've been meaning to ask; did you consider the Fargo, if so why did you decide to get the Vaya? I would be torn between the two of them.
    I did consider the Fargo. Man, what a hard choice. I spent weeks going back and forth on that one. In the end, I went with the Vaya because I wanted a purpose-built road/city commute bike. The Fargo, for all intents, is a mtb. I wanted something different than another mtb, albeit one more friendly to a road commute.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm facing the same dilemma: fargo Ti vs vaya travel... I see clearly see the differences, but I cannot decide between the two.
    I would go with the fargo as it looks more versatile but at the same time it looks more intended for dirty tracks and more sluggish on paved roads. On the other hand, Vaya Travel is a better choice as a general purpose bike (it can take light dirty roads) and has the great advantage of a s&s couplers frame. What's your view on this?

mtbr member
    After Rodar's fly in and ride tours, that Vaya with couplers looks like a good idea if I want to tour. Need some test runs with The Duchess locally to see if it is as much fun in person. That would justify decent panniers, too! Maybe in a year I can eat pastries and drink regular beer without consequences again.That opens up eating options a lot and eases things on the road.

So far I'm liking the Vaya. Spent most of yesterday getting it built up. Fit was off when I took it for its maiden voyage last night, but it was too dark to fuss with it too much then. I'll fiddle with the fit some more today and take it for some more test riding. Too bad my trainer isn't unpacked yet. Would make the fit process go a little easier. I could make adjustments in the basement where my shop is before I take it out for a ride.

It looks really good. The blue on the frame, seat collar, and headset offsets nicely with the silver crankset and stem and the black components elsewhere (wheels, derailleur, handlebars, pedals, rack, seatpost and seat) and little red details from my last build (spoke nipples, chainring bolts, cable stop on shifter). I will worry about fitting the fenders once I get the fit dialed.

My reasons for changing frames were well justified. So much happier with how easy brake and drivetrain setup was over the slotted drops and rear disc mount on the Pompetamine. That bike was so fiddly, it was driving me bonkers. Setup on this one was such a breeze.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    NateHawk: did you exclude the fargo as it looked to you more limited as a general purpose bike or what else?

Quote Originally Posted by dantem View Post
    NateHawk: did you exclude the fargo as it looked to you more limited as a general purpose bike or what else?
    No. I excluded it because it's basically a mountain bike. I want a general purpose bike more for pavement riding and more speed than a mtb is capable of. Any dirt I'd ride it on around here is hardpack clay...hardly requiring tire clearance like the Fargo has. The Vaya has sufficient tire clearance for my needs. I can easily find a set of winter studs to fit in it, even with fenders. That was basically my requirement.

Here are some pictures, as promised. I wanted to take it for a longer ride today (probably head out and visit the nearby MUP, and make a loop to get a growler filled with something yummy, with a return via the bike lane that runs in front of the house), but I wanted to do it in regular clothes. It's raining today, and I looked at fitting the fenders from the Pompetamine, but either I need to make some significant mods to make them fit, or I just need to start with a new set of fenders - I'm leaning on starting with a new set.

So no ride today. Just some basement tweaks to the fit. Raised the saddle some more. Slightly tweaked the angle of the handlebars. Steerer is a bit long so I can play with handlebar position some more. Thinking of moving them down a little more, but need a longer ride on them now to decide if that's where I want to go.

Here's the whole bike in 1x10 glory.

2014 Salsa Vaya Build

Here's a drivetrain close-up. 9spd SLX rear derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette, and XT chain.

2014 Salsa Vaya Build

Unbranded Shimano crankset, Sugino 44t chainring (I have a 42t if I feel like I want lower gearing), Kona Wah-Wah pedals (freebie in the gear raffle at the Brown County Breakdown a couple weeks ago).

2014 Salsa Vaya Build

Retroshift CX1V 10spd levers, On-One Midge handlebars

2014 Salsa Vaya Build

Front view

2014 Salsa Vaya Build

mtbr member
    Finally, pictures! That retroshift looks pretty nice. And what bar are you using (I'm too lazy to dig back through the thread)?

Edited to add: duh, you're using a Midge just like me. I was going to marvel as how wide it was.

I like the Midge bars so far. They feel quite a bit wider than the Mungos I was using before, even though they actually aren't much wider. Guess it's all in the shape.

mtbr member
    I've been using them for about 3 weeks now, and am quite liking them. I'm cheating on the setup, though:

A long 29er toptube means I need to rotate them as close to me as possible, so the ends are pretty parallel to the ground. I think you're running them closer to what is intended. I end up in the hooks instead of on the drops...but the drops are pretty short for a handhold anyway so that's okay.

I noticed that the rain had let up, leaving only some damp roads. No pooled water. I can handle that without fenders. I took the bike out for a short loop. I'll get my growler filled up later.

On the Pennsy rail trail, less than a mile from the house, mostly by bike lane.

Same pic, with a flash, highlighting the reflective sidewalls of my tires and (much less so) my rims.

This furthers my opinion that the reflective surface of Velocity's rims is far less effective than reflective sidewalls on tires. These are CST Crucibles (the tires that were on my Pompetamine for most of its 2 years of service with me). The tire sidewalls simply out-shine the rims, even under a fairly wimpy P&S camera flash.

Definitely need to drop the handlebars, though. Not that this position is uncomfortable (it's not, at least for a 4 1/2 mile ride), but that it's too upright for riding into the wind. I catch the wind BAD with this riding position. The drops help some, but with the Retroshift levers, you can't really shift from the drops. Fine on the MUP, but not so great on the streets dealing with traffic lights. These levers pretty much keep you on the hoods most of the time.

The route I took was actually pretty nice. The bike lanes haven't been fully built out here, and this section of the Pennsy is less than 2mi long (it will be getting connected to a longer section of the same trail in the next couple of years, which will give it more useful mileage and allow me to hit most stores by bike that I'd ever need to visit), but even in the evening busy traffic (a little past rush hour), drivers handled me mostly pretty well. I got passed by a pickup with an exhaust problem, which sucked. But even on the short sections without a bike lane or path (less than 1/4 mile for each segment), drivers were pretty courteous. I was running my lights, as it was dusk and overcast, so my visibility should have been pretty good. Without the fenders and large areas of reflective tape I put on them, I could be still more visible. I was also wearing a neon green long-sleeved shirt, so I'm sure that was a major factor. One driver was WAY over-cautious around me, plodding along in my back pocket in spite of the fact that the lane I was in was EXTRA wide (the lane had sharrows, and was wide enough probably for one car to pass another without crossing the centerline, though it wasn't a full two lanes wide). I had to wave that car by because they absolutely refused to pass. I think the cars behind that guy were starting to get frustrated. Hopefully not at me. Nobody showed frustration towards me, at least.

mtbr member
    Nice pic. I wondered about how the Velocity reflective rims did versus reflective tire stripes. I think my unpolished aluminum Deep Vees would show up better in headlights than that, and the polished ones cost the same as the reflective ones and should be even more impressive than this cell phone flash in daylight shot:

(Duchess previous to latest updates/paint.)

I will be retesting the new rim tape with UV flashlights to activate them. If I pull the fenders, I might just be able to slip on a pair of 700-35 Michelin City tires I have that have the stripe to see how they stack up, as long as I don't corner too hard and peel them off the skinny rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    These are CST Crucibles (the tires that were on my Pompetamine for most of its 2 years of service with me). The tire sidewalls simply out-shine the rims...
    My bigapples are about 2 years old, and the reflective sidewalls are always filthy and probably not very reflective. And that bike has rim brakes, so I even clean the rims and tires occasionally. Did you clean yours up when you swapped frames, or do they always look that good?

mtbr member
    Oh man, that's a pretty bike. I want one.

Salsa Vaya

Nope, didn't clean them. Fwiw, these tires did most of their commute duty in dry TX. Any commuting done in IN was mostly dry and definitely warm (no winter grime rides for these tires).

To give an indication of wear, the rear had begun to develop a flat spot so I rotated the tires.

Salsa Vaya

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I will be retesting the new rim tape with UV flashlights to activate them. If I pull the fenders, I might just be able to slip on a pair of 700-35 Michelin City tires I have that have the stripe to see how they stack up, as long as I don't corner too hard and peel them off the skinny rims.
    That pic was a total accident. It was sorta dusk and the camera wanted to use the flash, which really highlighted the reflective surfaces.

I have been thinking about some kind of reflective tape to increase the reflective surface on the wheels. Possibly in a bright color as opposed to white, esp for the times I am using tires without a reflective stripe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have been thinking about some kind of reflective tape to increase the reflective surface on the wheels. Possibly in a bright color as opposed to white, esp for the times I am using tires without a reflective stripe
    If you look closely at the pic I posted above showing my 35deg stem, the rim (a velocity p35) has reflective tape between every second set of spokes. I realized I don't have a great pic showing how reflective they are - this is probably the best I've got.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great setup! I've been enjoying my 2014 Vaya for about a month now. 410 miles and counting on the commuting thus far! I buckled when a 20% coupon to Performance Bike came in the mail and I picked up a Brooks B17 in black to top off the build. It's not shown here but it was the best thing I've ever purchased and the previous saddles wan't even uncomfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast