Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ryball's gadget corner: part eleventy

13K views 97 replies 19 participants last post by  Texan-n-Fla 
#1 ·
...or how I found "the best suspension seatpost ever made in the history of the world" and some other stuff.

:D

This thread - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=659155&highlight=suntour+seatpost

So in my quest to further geek out my commuter, I started researching suspension. I know, I know, suspension on a road bike. Anyway, this seatpost has worked it's way into top five favorite commuting gadgets for my bike.

SR Suntour SP8-NCX ~$80

Preload adjustable via an allen key in the bottom of the seatpost.
50mm travel.
Available in 27.2 and 26.8
Weighs a ton (I'll try to get a weight this week)

I have my set up so that it only activates when I hit a bump. No pedal bob or wiggle in the linkage. It takes out all the road chatter that usually gets transmitted to my bottom. I found myself looking for bumps and seams to run over just to try. I do wish it had rebound dampening, but it's not a big deal unless I hit something HUGE.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
That steering stabilizer would probably work for keeping the wheel in check on the stand or leaning against the wall. If you want a real steering stabilizer with a ton of adjustability it is hard to beat the Hopey Damper
Hopey.org

ESI has been threatening to put out a stabilizer for a while now, but nothing yet.
ESI's Steering Stabilizer SX

#30 ·
The Hopey is basically a Scott's for a MTB.

Mostly DH guys use them, but I love mine for long enduro stuff. Less bar minding when you're really tired and it allows me to more easily take a hand off the bar to eat and drink in rough terrain.

#33 ·
Keep an eye on the classifieds and eBay, you can usually snag one for $100-$150 off MSRP with enough patience. They are nice and well-built, you can appreciate the price when you can play with them a bit.

#43 ·
>"No wires? NICE!!! Electrically conductive fork dropouts? SUHWEET!!! Special fork? ...hmm..."
Yeah, the price of the hub makes it tough for a married guy. Adding in the fork pretty much relegates it the domain of bachelors :D. Strange that their off the shelf fork is available for 26 (my preference anyway) and not 700.

>"Though I think my next dynamo hub will be this tiny little beastie:"
Hmmm... looks like two options, one with a method to disengage the magnets and serviceable bearings? Cool! And the other option at ~400g, down there with the SON weights. But no word on prices and I don`t see anybody selling them. Are they on the market?

#45 ·
I just built up a bike with a Shimano dynamo hub wheel. With a planet Bike Generator light. Worked out well. But...i may be giving the whole bike to the ol boy.

So...Im contemplating my next bike build and I still want a 'battery free' light set up. And im thinking of something a little higher end. So to answer your question Rodar, these guys may be an option...

Dynamos (Hub & Bottle)

They are also available from the Supernova website direct...

Supernova Shop

Steve

#46 ·
Practical Cyclist lists them as "Comming soon". I guess the Supernova store actually has them ready to ship? Any rate, I`m just window shopping and not really going to be replacing my Shimanos any time soon, so it`s pretty much a moot point for me. Good luck with you uncomming build, though. What are you thinking about for lights? If you`re serious about committing that kind of budget for the hubs, I`ve no doubt I`ll be envious of your whole system.

#47 ·
Yeah I too was window shopping, until the ol boy suddenly had an interest in my just built bike.

Now its all of a sudden become a 'must do'. Well not really a MUST, more of a want. Im tired of fart assing around with batteries and running out of light on the way home. It doesn't happen very often but its a pain when it does.

It won't be cheap thats for sure. Ideally I want a racier/lighter wheel than what my Shimano factory built wheel was. The Shimano wheel is fine, works well, but once on the bike it does look just a little bulky. These new hubs from Supernova are far more compact and would look real sweet with the right rim.

Its either that built into a high performance rim. Or, a Schmidt SON. Peter White cycles now has a wire free fork available to work with the Schmidt hub. I did notice that sorting out the wiring set up gets a little fiddly. No wires would really clean things up and would make puncture repairs or wheel changes alot simpler.

I would also like to build the wheel up using CX Ray spokes. Just to finish it off. Wether this idea actually eventuates I dont know. Custom builds really add up to be quite costly. When a standard Shimano wheel will do the job. What makes the decision even harder is that you can find Shimano dynohub wheels on special for $75 Euro. Its pretty hard to compete with such value.

Steve

#51 ·
i like the idea of having one on the back wheel. but would probably prefer a dynamo on the front.

the mounting onto the hub looks a little odd though. I chrrently use a small rear LED knog light which I attach to the rear hub. it gets slightly obscured by the rim but works quite well. it spins in a 360 degree motion with the wheel and works quite well as a secondary light with a seat post mounted light.

#57 ·
^^ $250 buys a nice headlight and tail light with no weight on the wheel near the rim. While most of the weight is in the Li-ion pack hung on the axle housing, the weight of the rings of LEDs is likely about 100-150 gms, Like adding a couple of pounds on the frame. If the weight of 'Liteweight' spoke reflectors upsets you, these are not for you.

Won't fit Deep Vee rims. Maybe when they cover 26"

Nice show on unlit untraveled street with no other bike light used. No indication how well they work with car lights, street lights, and good bike lights in the mix.

BrianMc

#59 ·
^^ $250 buys a nice headlight and tail light with no weight on the wheel near the rim. While most of the weight is in the Li-ion pack hung on the axle housing, the weight of the rings of LEDs is likely about 100-150 gms, Like adding a couple of pounds on the frame. If the weight of 'Liteweight' spoke reflectors upsets you, these are not for you.

Won't fit Deep Vee rims. Maybe when they cover 26"

Nice show on unlit untraveled street with no other bike light used. No indication how well they work with car lights, street lights, and good bike lights in the mix.

BrianMc
I could care less about rotating mass. This is my commuter. It weighs more than my full sus moutain bike. :D

I like them for their stand out visibility. I would never rely on them for primary lighting. Wouldn't need to anyway, my whole commute in on well lit streets. This would just be in addition to all my other lights. UFObike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.