psycho cyclo addict

Roadie climb 'n whine experience

Last week I was doing and urban ride along a commute route on one of my 29er's.

Came up to a ~1/4 mile steep climb (+10% grade) where the first 2/3rd's of it are constant effort no messin around climb and the last 1/3rd is abrupt and even steeper. A roadie started off in front of me. At the point it got really steep he started circling so I just kept moving forward.

The fool started complaining that I should have waited! I said sorry you can't climb it all at once and continued on my way There was plenty of room for both of us to climb (assuming he could ride his super light carbon bike in a straight line).

I'm all for being courteous but waiting around some jurkfook to suck it up and finish a climb? Not me brotha!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    HAHA, let'em complain!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea, even if I was riding in a no-drop group ride, you just don't stop and wait partway up the climb for slower riders, or riders that need to take a break. You wait at the top of the climb for them.

And since you weren't doing a group ride with him...WTF? What a jag.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I assume the roadie was sort of scrolling his way up using the whole road. Bad enough to slalom up in your lane. Talk about inconsiderate of other road users. Seems the poor boy got surprised he didn't own the road, as a guess.

Moderator Moderator
    haha, try "Have you any Gray Poupon?" next time you pass him.

sheep in FOX clothing
    He was hoping you'd call EMS for him if he didn't make it to the top?

Just for some roadie counterpoint, when I was downtown last month on my road bike stopped at a red light on the bike trail, at least three people on mountain bikes with massive commuting bags roll past me in the queue and stop in front of me.

I'm thinking, "these guys must be in a real hurry to get home if they're going to take off that fast in front of me on the green light."

But they weren't. And they didn't.

Perhaps we can all hope that winter makes the pain go away.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Perhaps we can all hope that winter makes the pain go away.
    winter is when I take back the streets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Last week I was doing and urban ride along a commute route on one of my 29er's.

Came up to a ~1/4 mile steep climb (+10% grade) where the first 2/3rd's of it are constant effort no messin around climb and the last 1/3rd is abrupt and even steeper. A roadie started off in front of me. At the point it got really steep he started circling so I just kept moving forward.

The fool started complaining that I should have waited! I said sorry you can't climb it all at once and continued on my way There was plenty of room for both of us to climb (assuming he could ride his super light carbon bike in a straight line).

I'm all for being courteous but waiting around some jurkfook to suck it up and finish a climb? Not me brotha!
    Wait for what? I would have rung my bell and said " on your left"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Just for some roadie counterpoint, when I was downtown last month on my road bike stopped at a red light on the bike trail, at least three people on mountain bikes with massive commuting bags roll past me in the queue and stop in front of me. I'm thinking, "these guys must be in a real hurry to get home if they're going to take off that fast in front of me on the green light." But they weren't. And they didn't.
    And this morning I'm waiting at a light behind the stopline, and a roadie rolls around and in front of me nosing right into the intersection. (probably cyclocross actually - dropbars with panniers). And I'm thinking "they must be fast"...but me and my hardtail passed them by the time we'd crossed the intersection, and I never saw them again. Weirdos.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And this morning I'm waiting at a light behind the stopline, and a roadie rolls around and in front of me nosing right into the intersection.
    Ha, apparently we both look pretty slow.

Maybe I need to buy aero shoe covers or something.