mtbr member
    Dec 2008

road bars/shifters for old mtb turned commuter

is there a reasonably priced way to convert my 1996 Pine Mountain to road style bars? Obviously bars are cheap- but I need brakes

I've retired it to commuter use and would really like to make this change.

I already have some cross type skinny wheels and tires on it and I'm working on ditching the judy xc for a rigid fork. I will also be going single speed with it and haven't yet started that project either. I figure I want to get this stuff done this month so I can start riding it as the MN winter ends.

thanks

-Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Tektro makes some nice levers at good prices. They even make one for v-brakes (the RL-520 if I remember right). I use the Tektro levers and a bar-end shifter for the rear, with a single front ring, and really like this set-up. I know others that have used Paul Thumbies to mount thumb shifters along the top of the bar.

Here's to spring!

jrm
    mtbr member

Sun race friction shifters

and something like a flipped may bar. I really like the freegle bar myself. That would be a good set up.

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Today I got-

42cm women's style (low reach) road bars
    tektro brakes and new cables etc.
    rigid suspension corrected fork

thinking about running 1x8 gearing with the existing shifter ghetto rigged and the front derailure on as a guide...

should I do that or really go SS? What is the simplest SS kit/route for my needs?

what pedals should I throw on it? I want to stay cheap, but I'd love to be able to clip in... I have 105s on my road bike (not ideal for this so much) and crank brothers on everything else currently. I guess I need a crank brothers cleat style pedal that can be used with regular shoes too.

No-Brakes Cougar
    For an SS conversion you can just pick up kit, they have them at Nashbar. Or you can try to do it yourself cheaper, see Sheldon Brown on SS conversions.
    If you're going 1x8 down tube shifters from an old road bike would be cool! You could probably find some on eBay.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    can I use down tube shifters with my alivio rear der.? if so, which ones?

I've had down tube shifters (friction) on a really cool old Legnano road bike (my dad's) that I used to ride- for this situation that would be real cool.

I Ride for Donuts
    When I was using true road bars I had the tektro levers operating my mechanical discs, and I bent a Shimano XT trigger shifter to get it to slide around the bend and get it mounted way up by the stem. I had to use a bent bolt and a nut to secure it...I drilled out the bolt hole on the bottom side of the shifter. This was on an oversized road bar (31.8mm) so I had to bend it quite a bit. I heated it up first with a propane torch. I had a 1x8 drivetrain going, with a shimano XT rear derailleur.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Off the back...
    If your frame has disc tabs, you can do what I did and run SS disc front and rear. Avid BB7 road calipers will work quite well in that scenario, and you can run 700C wheels front and rear. I set my bike up with a "Magic Gear" - I don't use a tensioning device.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent
    can I use down tube shifters with my alivio rear der.? if so, which ones?

I've had down tube shifters (friction) on a really cool old Legnano road bike (my dad's) that I used to ride- for this situation that would be real cool.
    Hmm.... I guess I didn't really think that one through too well, sorry! I don't really know, maybe old friction shifters would work after all?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Yes, any brand of downtube friction shifters will do the job just fine as long as you can find them in a clamp diameter that matches your downtube. If you find Shimano indexed shifters for the same number of sprockets, they`ll work too. Modern Shimano DT and barend shifters can be set to friction or index with the twist of a little bail- I don`t know if the older ones had that option. I don`t think you`ll find new clampon shifters, but there are loads of used ones for cheap on eBay or in any "bike junkyard" kind of shop.

weirdo
    By the way, I love roadyfied mtbs- here`s the one I`ve been turning into a tourer:

I`m not sure what you mean by low reach bars- something like Salsa Bell Laps? That`s pretty much what mine are too. I`m using some old Suntour nonaero brake levers, 8 speed barend shifters and an mtb drivetrain. Let us check out your ride when you get it on the road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks

I got most of it put together last night and picked up some extras today- decided I needed a couple headset spacers and some new front brakes as well.

I"ll hopefully get it rideable by end of tomorrow

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    went for a spin on it this evening- had to pick up a new der. cable during lunch hr today.

the fit seems good, the 1x8 is working well and it feels fast on the road.

pictures will be upcoming- it looks funky with the touch of blue on the wheels and green bar tape

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

there are a couple

mtbr member
    Very nice, it is nice seeing people resurect something, instead of jsut buying a new one. I am currently updateing an older road bike to use as a commuter. Enjoy!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How's the reach to the hoods from the saddle? Road bikes are designed with a shorter top tube than mountain bikes sized for the same rider because drop bars reach forward while mountain bike handlebars reach back and most drop-bar conversions end up with a longer reach than you would normally have on a proper road bike. I had to ditch my '89 Stumpjumper drop-bar conversion because of this. It didn't help that my Stumpie was one size too large for me to begin with, but, as a mountain bike it was fine, just not as a road bike.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    Road bikes are designed with a shorter top tube than mountain bikes sized for the same rider because drop bars reach forward while mountain bike handlebars reach back and most drop-bar conversions end up with a longer reach than you would normally have on a proper road bike.
    That`s something that has to be considered and some people/bikes seem to do better than others in that respect. There`s a long thread on bf touring forum with pics of a whole mess of converted mtbs. Most people either use those butterfly bars or some kind of high stem like the Tectonic. I imagine a lot of people also start the project and have to give it up because they find that the bike in question won`t work out right. If you`re interrested, there are some cool bikes on that thread.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=conversion

weirdo
    It looks good, 2silent. I can`t see the shifter though- what did you end up doing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    mine worked out fine- this was a huge concern of mine and it drove what products I ended up using.

I have a quite short stem and bars with minimal reach (women's bars), but most importantly I am running about 4 cm of spacers which brought things up and back into a comfortable position. Prior to adding the spacers I was having a bit of a hard time figuring out why it felt "off". My fit is now quite comfortable for me.

for what it's worth my bike is a 19" and my road ride is a 54cm older S-works frame. I realize the Pine Mountain should have been too big, but honestly it is quite comfortable and I'd be ready to ride hrs on it if it had a better saddle.

I will check out that other thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Shimano MTB shifter on the bar- works fine

so far glad I didn't go single speed for the use I've put on it