mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Rigid Trek 800 for commuting?

I have a rigid trek 800 that I did use for light trail use. I am considering commuting the few miles to work as well as work to make it my primary intown transportation. would I be wasting my money trying to convert this over? I have 2-3 classic schwinn road bikes that are fun to ride, but here in East TN we have roads that at times could be trails. They lack the gearing needed at times.

What changes should I make? Right now it has medium aggression tire and everything else is stock.

Comments and suggestions welcomed

Tommy
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

weirdo
    Sure, ride it! How much "converting over" does it need? You`ll probably find slick tires easier to ride than knobbies and probably want some kind of rack. Other than that, as long as the bike is in good shape, give it a shot like it is.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, sounds almost perfect like it is. Maybe a smoother tread like Rodar suggested, but if the roads "at times could be trails" then it would be on your personal preference. Possibly a rear fender if it gets wet enough?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd suggest that you get both front and rear fenders. If you ride in the rain or on wet roads without front fenders, you are going to get sprayed in the face the whole ride. A pannier rack and some pannier bags are nice in case you ever need to hual anything around town. If you're going to ride near dawn or sunset, you will probably need lights. I think that pretty much anything else is going to come down to your own personal trial and error.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The bike is in really great condition for it's age... I usually carry a backpack, but some form of rack would be nice to have.

The tires on it are not really aggressive and at times I will be on campus/grass some... I work at a small college.

I would have to ride at night. so Lighting suggestions would be nice to have.

Are those Bell "Wally World" racks worth a hoot or should I go with something else?

Where is a good place to purchase fenders...I would prefer removable ones so I could ditch them on nice days.

Tommy
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Permenant pannier racks that bolt on the bike are better than seatpost racks, but if you're looking for something that you can easily remove you should get a seatpost rack. The Bell ones are on the heavy side and I haven't seen a Bell one that will allow you to attach pannier bags to it.

Check out your LBS for fenders. You can also find fenders online and maybe even at major retail stores like Wally World. Check out SKS shockboard or SKS Shockblade (both are removeable front fenders). SKS also makes a number of removeable rear fenders.

Depending on how much riding you do at night will be a major determing factor on which lights will be right for you.

weirdo
    Read what the "Other Sheldon" says.
    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/commute/index.htm

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    The reason I only suggested a rear fender is because most of the time your frame will guard you from the spray of your front wheel. Most fenders will be removable, but will not be fun to take off and put on. I've heard that those seatpost racks might be a decent, but I've heard that they move around and are hard to get super secure. But I've had no experience with them, so that's all hear-say.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Welcome to the world of rigid Trek 800-series commuters! You might also want to pick up a bell if you're going to be swerving around a lot of slower cyclists and joggers in the bike lane (happens to me all of the time). Some people also recommend a rear view mirror that attaches to the end of your handlebars or helmet. I don't use one myself, but I know that the Mirrycle mirror comes recommended highly.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If i were you i would just start riding and see what works for you, there a heaps of options out there. Where i live there is no need for fenders but i do use a pannier for a change of clothes. Get lights, i use mine all the time on road, just go to your LBS and get the brightest flashiest ones you can afford/justify.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Topeak Explorer rack...you can get a variety of bags, baskets, etc. that slide and lock in place.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    If you're into fenders shoot me a PM, I put together some pretty classy looking pieces
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!