mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding the boy to school

Right now I tow my 6 yo son to school in a trailer. He is outgrowing it both physically and mentally. Next year we will have to switch it up. We have a tag a long we ride for fun on greenway paths but it makes the front end of the bike so light that I don't trust the set up for navigating even our low danger urban path. I'm thinking maybe a cargo bike I can put a seat, pegs and handlbar on, like a Kona Minute, might get it. Any thoughts?
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Still want a fat bike....
    First thought, don't ride the boy anywhere..... ever.

Second thought is that maybe he gets his own bike and rides along with you. How far is it to his school? I have been thinking about this as I have a 4 yr old and next year he is in school. Now we'll only have to go a mile max depending on which area school he goes to, but I was thinking that he will just ride along with me and we'll lock up his bike at the school. That an option for you?
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Our son's school is just outside what I'm comfortable with when it come to him riding to school but he occasionally wants to ride to school. So I load the bikes up in the truck and park near the school just past the major roads/intersection. Then I unload the bikes and ride along side him to school. I'll continue doing this until probably next year when I hope he's matured enough and physically fit to ride to school by him self when he wants.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I second the boy pedaling himself! (if you feel it's safe) My 4yr old and 6yr old regularly make the few mile journey to school with me in the mornings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, unfortunately it isn't quite that safe. It's a 2 or so mile trip. We have to cross one major artery early on, it would be the deal killer for letting a 7 year old go on his own. Most of the rest is neighborhood streets, but there is one more highly trafficked street with a light to go. Most of the trip is a climb, too. No way he would get to school on his own at this age. I would just feel better making the trip with him.

If this were truly our neighborhood school I might feel differently.

Curious, why would you say I should never take him to school on my own power?
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Still want a fat bike....
    Yeah, I would never advocate him going alone, but I was thinking you two riding together would work out nicely and then you don't have to worry about getting and setting up a cargo bike and you can start working with him on the rules and safety while he is actually DOING it and not just listening while you you do it.

And the other was just a joke.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ohhh!!!! Yeah, poor verb choice. For sure I want him to get the idea that HIS body needs to provide propulsion. Good point. Maybe we should work on our tag along skills some more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Yeah, I would never advocate him going alone, but I was thinking you two riding together would work out nicely and then you don't have to worry about getting and setting up a cargo bike and you can start working with him on the rules and safety while he is actually DOING it and not just listening while you you do it.

And the other was just a joke.
    I agree, WAY too little to go ALONE, I was just saying riding on his own bike!! Clearly defined rules and practice really help.. my kids have mastered "Red light, yellow light" "Follow my line exactly" and "hug the curb" just to name a few, if they don't instantly follow the rules... they don't get to ride the next time!! (safety ALWAYS first) Each kid is different and no one knows your kid better than you, so trust your instincts! (IMHO)

mtbr member
    I think the cargo bike is good for the too young to ride crowd, like the trailers are. I expect that the Cargo thread has people with experience in graduating them onto bikes. It might be a good place for more suggestions or real experiences.

BrianMc

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Ride his own bike.

Two miles is nothing for 6 year old. Ride alongside with him from home. Walk your bikes across the busy street. He would be just as bored on a cargo bike or tag a-long as he is with a trailer.

I ride with my boys approx 3 miles each way to school. They were 6 and 7.
    When they were 4 and 5 we did 27 mile tag a-long rides. They are now 8 and 9 and I think nothing of 9 mile mt bike rides with them.

Good luck.

I Ride for Donuts
    My 6 year old daughter rides her bike with me when I go running sometimes... 3.5 to 4 miles, and she does great. I am *barely* faster than a spotted salamander when I run, which is probably why she has no problems (she's waiting for me except on the steepest hills). I'd say have him ride his own bike, but just be careful on the pace...dial it way back and make it fun for him...give yourself plenty of time in case he needs a break, etc... he'll probably surprise you. Just my .02

Edit: it did take her a little training to be able to hug that white line and stay to the right side... she'd see a deer or a squirrel and it was worse than having a dog with me the head turns and weeeeeeeuuuuoooh we're way out in the lane. We worked on holding a line on very empty streets until we were VERY confident before I took her out where I expected to see much traffic (even then, I'm pretty rural compared to your description).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)