Single Speed Junkie

Ridding the Arroyo

Have about a 5 mile drive in to work or a 6 mile ride all down hill, Afternoon is a different story, but not to worried. What I am slightly worried about is the route. Best path I have found is by riding an Arroyo. Roads are full of autos with people yapping on their cell phones and quite a few busy intersections where riding would be ill advised. Commuter bike is a fixed gear and a little worried about goat heads. I would hate to flat at brake neck speeds especially when the bike is sans brake. Any advise for a method of making the commute safer?

Drunken fool
    I go for overkill on my commuter bike. Yeah the weight may be excessive to some, but I don't want to be late to work because I had to fix a flat tire while sitting along side the road. I ride with Armadillo tires, tire liners, and use slimed tubes. It's worked great for the last 3 years with not one flat, even on the goat head littered Bosque Trail. I carry a kit that has a spare tube, patches, levers, pump, CO2 inflator and multi-tool. Knock on wood, I have never had to use it but have helped out others.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

weirdo
    Instead of riding by the arroyo, ride IN the arroyo- WHOOHOO! But, really- what exactly are you worried about? The traffic? Like everyone here says, traffic just plain sucks. If there`s a way to avoid it, you`ll know how better than anybody else for your own situation- either skip it, deal with it, or don`t. Flats? Toughshell tires like those Armadillos or Passela Tour-guards do a fine (not perfect) job, as do slime and Mr Tuffy strips. As to your fixie situation, I don`t know. Lots of guys seem to like `em, but you won`t catch me on one of those contraptions. "Break-neck speed" isn`t really part of my life either. You could most likely put a front brake on your bike if you were inclined to do that. Good luck with your commute, however it goes.