mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Repurposing Bike Police Lights? Lightman to be exact

Anyone every use these before?

Lightman Pro Dual Police Bike Strobe Lights and Taillight Combo: Police Bike Store

Not sure if each light carries its own battery or if it has a centralized battery. Just thinking it could be used for side and rear visibility, 2 amber strobes mounted for side visibility and a single red off the back.

Anyone ever repurpose police lights for commuting?

mtbr member
    This is an amber one I first got when a neighbor left hooked me and I had to roll past on a lawn:

The picture is of the headlight adapted from battery to generator hub use. The light is at the top of the picture mounted just below the head of the stem.

It uses the same Xenon flash bulb as on the school bus roofs here. Ultra bright but too short lived for my crude light meter or for blinding people.
    The circuitry emitted EMF that totally messed up my heart rate monitor and likely my current speed sensor though I never tested that. It also ate three AAs in fast order. I carried spares all the time and the swap out was not as easy as one might like. I seem to remember a 1.5 to 2 hour run time and less in cold weather. It would not work with the lower voltage NiMHs. However it *was* noticed. I gave it to a neighbor who was running no lights at all as I was not using it. A car USB adapter might let either an 11.1 or 14.8 Li-ion pack run it. I tried shielding but was not successful in killing the EMF.

My current light setup has inhibited at least one driver as if I was a Police Cyclist. The Blue would be illegal here. If run at night you will need a steady light or you will disappear between flashes that start a bit closer than once a second but near the end of the battery are maybe 2 seconds or more apart. At 15 mph you move about 40 feet and if the driver was looking the other way and missed the preceding flash, that is a big time window to not be seen at all. Side ones would help with that.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Check your local codes to see if they are legal. Here we can have red on the back and white on the front, although I run a Dinotte amber daytime running light on the front during daylight hours and have never had any trouble with law enforcement.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    Anyone every use these before?

Lightman Pro Dual Police Bike Strobe Lights and Taillight Combo: Police Bike Store

Not sure if each light carries its own battery or if it has a centralized battery. Just thinking it could be used for side and rear visibility, 2 amber strobes mounted for side visibility and a single red off the back.

Anyone ever repurpose police lights for commuting?
    Why bother? You can buy 3 similar bike flashers for less money.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Why bother? You can buy 3 similar bike flashers for less money.
    I already have 2 lights to the front and 2 to the back (one flashing one solid)so it's a lot of turning on and off and batteries for 3 of the 4. The central control of 3 of them would be nice and if it had a central battery. I really haven't seen anything similar for a similar price.

I'd like to get a dyno system which would consolidate half the system, but that's a lot of cash and still doesn't handle side visibility.

mtbr member
    Parking lamps on many vehicles are yellow, as are the lights in construction zones. It is understood to be a warning color. Even if against the lettter of the law I don't see an officer getting his pen out to write a ticket.

Why bother?

Their brief flash is nearly 180 degrees and bright as a high beam but brief enough not to be blinding.

Only my 900 lumen headlights on flash high, of all my lights, are the same league. So, if you seem to be lost amid an urban clutter of lights, these may be the answer you are looking for. If not, not. But you need more than one visible from any angle as the flash frequency is so slow (a capacitor recharges, I think for each firing).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Parking lamps on many vehicles are yellow, as are the lights in construction zones. It is understood to be a warning color. Even if against the lettter of the law I don't see an officer getting his pen out to write a ticket.

Why bother?

Their brief flash is nearly 180 degrees and bright as a high beam but brief enough not to be blinding.

Only my 900 lumen headlights on flash high, of all my lights, are the same league. So, if you seem to be lost amid an urban clutter of lights, these may be the answer you are looking for. If not, not. But you need more than one visible from any angle as the flash frequency is so slow (a capacitor recharges, I think for each firing).
    Nothing in the product description about side visibility or brightness. Note the user review that they are not bright enough for daylight use.
    Several of the bike flashers I have do have wide coverage and are very bright.

A bright brief flash is no less blinding (think camera flash) if you need it to be seen.

Most state laws prohibit private/personal vehicles to have lights of any color other than white, red or amber.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

Why bother?

All the above are why I recently bought one. Amber should be fine anywhere, don't buy the blue if you aren't a cop, the best that can happen is it'll get confiscated.

The quality of the light is different than LED's and stands out IMO. Side visibility is excellent, better than my Mars 4.0 (although that's a rear light and my amber Lightman is up front).

I'm not concerned about the low battery times (everyone online said 3-5 hours), because my commute is about an hour each way and I'm changing batteries in some of my other 2 front lights or three rear lights very regularly anyway.

Not sure if each light carries its own battery or if it has a centralized battery.
    I ordered a single one and it runs on 2 AA batteries.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model