mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Redline 925 - biggest tires?

Anyone here ride a redline 925? I have a singlespeed with 28mm tires right now.

Since I don't ride in the rain, I am thinking about pulling the fenders and giving me room for a little more tire. Does anyone have an idea how large I can go? There are a lot of rough surfaces and I've banged the wheels a few too many times, having a bigger tire would help on the commute. It would also help me consolidate bikes. My "bar bike" is a HT mountain bike because if I have had a pint or two I trust the fatter tires. With a better tire on the commuter this could become an all around bike.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK, a little googling tells me 30mm with the fenders on, up to 35mm without the fenders.

So, assuming that I am going to be taking the fenders off, any thoughts on 32mm vs. 35mm? Looks like most of my local choices for 32mm are more for commuters (special puncture resistance, etc.) vs. 35mm that just seem to be generic.

Any input is appreciated.

Fat-tired Roadie
    There are also touring tires in that size range. So that opens up your options again some. Rivendell makes a couple and I think a couple of Schwalbe tires are available in that size. Marathon, maybe?

There's a part of me that thinks that the bigger the letters used to say "special puncture resistance," the worse the tires ride with no particular improvement over a good training clincher as far as durability. Definitely buy something with a puncture resistant belt. But it doesn't need to be an Armadillo or something. Another of my theories, which you can take or leave, is that some puncture resistance is better than no puncture resistance, but the different versions of puncture resistant belts aren't too different from one another in terms of puncture resistance but they do vary in how much I notice them.

I care less about thread count lately than I used to. But I still think 30 tpi is pretty low. 60 and 120 ride a bit better, IMO. Mostly a feeling of smoothness.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member
    The 32c panaracer tserv is a nice tire. light, kevlar bead, durable casing, 100 psi, nice crowned profile and fast rolling. i ride mine on everything and have held up well. Im running 35c clement explor USHs on the CX bike. 95psi, kevlar bead and fast rolling
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Picked up some 35mm tires at lunch, will do some install this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Picked up some cheap 35mm tires, and after removing the fenders they fit fine. Did one quick ride to go get a haircut and they do have more rolling resistance as expected but do a better job on potholes and crappy pavement.

Never had to work on a horizontal dropout before, that was a learning lesson, not 100% sure it is perfectly centered but seemed to ride fine.