mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Recommended Socks - Sandals ?

What socks would you recommend for commuting and touring?

Also, what sandals would you recommend for cycling?

The weather where we live is rather mild (Modesto, CA), with some chilly mornings below freezing. I've been doing just fine riding with only one pair of socks and tennis shoes.

My socks are wearing out and I need to get some quality riding socks very soon!!! Also, my feet swell up from riding, and so I'd like to try sandals.
    - vja4Him * Cycling 4 Life *
    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I assume I'm not the only one; but I could never wear sandals. With my feet being the closest things to the ground and moving parts, I want to keep them well protected. Sorry thats not very helpful.
    As for socks, I'm sure people will suggest the fancy stuff; but I've never had an issue with my regular ankle socks. I guess it all depends on how long the ride is.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

smell the saddle...
    Try these: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/4...cf5b83.jpg?v=0

Protects your ankles from dirt and keeps drivers away since they think you are off your rocker nuts - or maybe that's just me...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Never tried wearing my Tivos while riding, maybe I will this summer? I would assume that any decent hiking sandal would be more than sufficient.

As for socks, I'm the last person to ask. I wear plain old white athletic sweat socks for everything from bike rides to weddings.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Holiday Socks ... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by stumonky

Protects your ankles from dirt and keeps drivers away since they think you are off your rocker nuts - or maybe that's just me...
    Hey .... !!! I like those socks ... !!! I think I'll get a pair to wear for Dr. Seuss Day. Now I need to find a pair of socks for St. Patricks and 4th of July for Independence Day.

Where do you find the Dr. Seuss socks?
    - vja4Him * Cycling 4 Life *
    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Keen makes a cycle sandal...check them out at REI

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Keen Commuter is a clipless sandal. It sounds like the OP uses platforms. Switch to clipless. Shimano makes a good clipless sandal too. I like wearing sandals in the summer. I'll probably pick up the Shimanos for this year once it warms up.

As for socks, wool. Smartwool is good.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    keen, shimano, lake, 661, maybe others, make a cycling sandal. the keen in much like their other "sandals" in that it's mostly a shoe with lots of holes cut in them. the others are a more open type, similar to a teva, or chaco, or other sport sandals. when i did a cross country tour in '03 i used thicker wool socks inside shimano sandals when it was chilly, and when it rained i layered on some seal skin waterproof booties. for your locale i'd suggest whatever sandal that fits plus some wool socks in the pack for when it's cold.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Keen H2

I've used Keen H2 Hybrid aqua/sandal/shoe for at least six months commuting in Kona, Hawaii with an ankle high black sock. The socks are very effective in keeping out the road debris (pebbles) from the shoe and minimizing shoe stink... I like the Keen's due to the flat bottom tread with the standard Specialized peddles that came with my 29er. I've just recently upgraded to Specialized clipless shoe and Shimano hybrid clipless and platform pedal but still think the Keen's performed admirably with just platform pedals. Keens are a bit wide though, so you might need to get the hang of them on the bike if you have been cycling with narrower shoes.

Aloha,

Keith

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ http://www.ophale.com/
    _\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\ http://www.ophale.com/bodhi_tales

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    I commute wearing my Lake Sandals. Fitted with pedal cleats. I only wear socks if it's chilly. When I do wear socks, I'll wear a pair of thin smartwool.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeff
    I commute wearing my Lake Sandals. Fitted with pedal cleats. I only wear socks if it's chilly. When I do wear socks, I'll wear a pair of thin smartwool.
    Wool hiking socks...even in summer.

Mikey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I believe any thick socks with good cotton will do.

As for sandals, a durable sandals with hard sole will do the job. It helps u have a easier power transfer from pedal to drivetrain.

I will not recommend any clipless for commuting and touring purpose. Cos u will walk like a duck.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky

ROFLMAO!
    My bud did his 1st MTB race wearing an orange pumpkin T-shirt, Spongebob boxers over his lycra, and knee-length rainbow 'toe socks' -- just to make the stuffy organizers shake their heads.

But then, he eats Powerbars for the taste.....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

More than a little slow
    Always wool socks. Defeet cause I can get them , Smartwool I would get too but they are harder for me to find.

I have never ridden in sandals but the idea is intriguing.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ummmm I wear my cycling shoes? With regular cotten socks? Am I a minority here? I just change my shoes and socks at my office when I get there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I switched from riding clipless to riding flats(Odesey BMX) for commuting and touring...it's been making better sence to me to simplfy and combine my wordrobe; now that I'm on my bike 10 to 15 hours a week.
    I'm currently riding in nice stiff Teva hiking sandals(rain or shine). In the morning, if its chilly, I'll also wear cheepo poly no-see-um socks...the kind you get at the Dollar Store. So far I've had no negative expiriences. well...i do have funny tan lines on my feet!
    I read about cycling in sandals year round on the Rivendale site.